Berchtesgaden - The Eagles Nest

I second that Ron. AMEN to that! I am never bored to hear these things. As I've stated before, my dad is no longer around to share his memories, so I am very dependent on all MY vets to tell me as much as they know. ;)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bgaden.htm

Came across this site today for the first time and remembered our discussion on the topic a while ago. Just thought I'd add some more evidence to support the happening in Berchtegaden at the end of the war.

By the way, pretty cool site too. Enjoy

Ron

Love the befores and afters. Didn't get a chance to read anything yet cuz I'm working in our store today, but had a chance to look at all the great photos. Will visit again. Thanks for thinking of us and this thread.

Marion J Chard

Thank you Marion for adding the "true" story of Berchtesgaden and the Berghof.

I was there along with J3rdInf, even though we didn't know each other then. I have several pics I took that day, but the problem of posting them here is just too much for me.

One of my vivid memories is sitting on the hillside above the Berghof during the early evening of May 4 with my buddy Lt. C. K. Seifarth, (now deceased). A messinger from 7th Inf Hq. came up to us to tell me that the French were looting the town of Berchtesgaden and Col Heintges wanted an officer to go in and put a stop to it.

I said nothing, but my mind was churning. After 6 campaigns with the 7th, (Anzio to "Berchtesgaden"), the thought of going into that town and getting shot by a drunken French soldier, to die on the last day of the War, was more than I could take calmly. Seif spoke first, "I'll go," he said.

He did, and a couple of hours later, after reporting back to the Col Heintges, he returned and sat down beside me to fill me in. Soldiers of the French Armored Division, were parking their half-tracks across the roads, then looting and throwing their booty out the windows of the civilian homes. When they came out, they would sort through the loot and throw what they wanted to keep onto the half track. "Seif" was not so foolish as to try to stop them.

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

You're welcome Russ. The truth will always be spoken on this site, no matter what the consequences. That's for sissies! ;)

Seif was one smart man. That wasn't worth getting shot over. :pdt33: Let them do their looting and loitering. C'est l'avie! Didn't blame you for NOT going. Nuff is enough!

Marion J Chard

Ron: Very interesting web site. Many thanks. Some of the pic bring back old and good

memories. May 4 '45 was a very interesting day. FYI Our lead company of the 3td Bn.

7th Inf Reg/3rd ID was L Company, commanded by Lt. Sherm Pratt . We still correspond by E mail. Both myself and Recon well remember this day as it meant the

wars end in ETO. I am quite surprised the author showed the 3rd capturing Berchtesgaden on the 4th and the 101 entering on May 5 , even though it was true..

I am quite surprised the author showed the 3rd capturing Berchtesgaden on the 4th and the 101 entering on May 5 , even though it was true..

As was I. That was part of the reason I posted the link as he had it correct chronologically, don't see that too often these days. The pictures were pretty cool as well.

Again to you and Russ, I can't adequately express my gratitude in writing for what you all did. I was born in 1964, long after the conflict was done and over but I can't get past what you all gave up to go and fight. Words of thanks will never be enough to cover the debt we owe you. Glad you enjoyed the link :pdt34:

Ron

Ron: Many thanks again. You wouldnt believe the utter chasos this brought to Berchtesgaden on May 5th. We had so damn many "tourist troops", French, 101 A.B.

and just plain troops that came out of the woodwork arrive for looting, pretige, and God knows what one couldnt believe it. Thank God we were "ordered out" on May 6th.. Quite a real bit of "thanks guys" ?? But we went to towns nearby and were glad the war was over, here in ETO.

I can’t imagine all the thoughts and emotions that were going through your head as you advanced through Germany. I’ve always wanted to sit down with a veteran and just talk, no real agenda just talk. I don’t think you can get a real feel for what was going on if you bring a questionnaire with you and start there. I’m more interested in the mundane everyday things like what did you do while you were there? Where you free to roam the city at your leisure? How much time did you spend getting set up only to leave the next day? I’m sure the time spent in Berchestegarden wasn’t spent entirely on securing the population. What did it feel like to be in the absolute ground zero for the Nazi party and know that you had kicked their ass? Was the populace relieved that it was over or did they still want to fight? This is such a small part of the great history of WWII but we could talk all day about it.

There are a million questions that roll through my mind when I think about this stuff but then when I go to put it down on paper my mind goes blank. I could go on all day about this stuff but I realize that many vets are just as happy not to discuss the matter and that must be respected. The few that are still around and willing to share these memories are cherished treasures to me and most that frequent boards such as these. I apologize for rambling on, guess I get caught up in the discussion sometimes. Again, Joe, Russ and all the other vets on this site that share their histories with us, thank you so much. And Marion thanks for making it all possible.

Ron

Ron Nash: Having a "selective memory" in most cases of the bad times which I try to keep hidden and so far have pretty well done so, my recall is about the "mundane" things I remember, also yes, the unusual and humereous in a way. Believe me, the "humereous", were also there at times. Anything I can add for you, so not to bore the others, you wish to know you can write me directly at j3rdinf@comcast.net and will answer you as best as I remember. Actually, not counting close combat, most of the time, existing, food, waiting, and shelter were the most important other things..