Forums

Full Version: Berchtesgaden - The Eagles Nest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Within another post, Joe a member of the 3rd Inf Division had asked if I had read the latest issue of WWII Mag that had an article on Berchestgaden and his infantry unit. Anyway, I thought this deserved a spot of its own and am including the article from that issue, along with another link that relates to the truth about who was there first.

Berchtesgaden

You can download the PDF file from me or read the same article on History.net

On the History.net site:

The Eagle's Nest - The Last Great Prize (this link if no longer viable - Please use my downloadable link below)

Or download here for a printable copy. It will take a while to download because of it's size. Some of you were having a problem with the file because it was damaged. I have since replaced it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EaglesNest.pdf

Marion: Many thanks from all of us from the 3rd Inf Div for having the guts to post that

article. We have been trying for years to get the truth told. Yes, I was a member of the 3rd Bn. 7th Reg. who entered B.Gaden about 4 P.M. on May 4th '45. As a matter of fact Lt. Sherman Pratt and myself are usually in E mail contact even yet. Sherm Pratt

just had major hip surgery and is recovering. One great person by the way, and lives in Arlington VA. ( he stayed in the Army and retired as a Lt. Col) . Another friend, Lt. Russ Cloer, Plt. leader of the 7th Reg. I&R platoon who was also there then is another

one who E mails back and forth to me also. I am going to try to get Russ to join up here but he has just took a bad turn for the worse in health. We all knew the truth. It

was not a battle by any means. Nothing like Nurenburg by any means or other earlier battles, but it was the Allied PRIZE CAPTURE. Especially after letting the Russians have

Berlin. Actually B.Gaden was almost a walkin. Thank God, and was not was expected by any means to be that way after all the propaganda. I am now awaiting rebuttals

from the "Band of Brothers" believers. Should be interesting after this article. After

60 years it is about time the truth came out.. Incidentally, after leaving B.Gaden on May 6 '45 and going to a town near Salzburg Austria here is a pic of Sherms I company's billet for a couple of months. Pretty nice.

post-11-1113521663_thumb.jpg

Well my dear, you are most welcome and you will find that this is one woman who NEVER backs away from the truth, no matter what the consequences. The nice thing about the truth is that it eventually comes to the top of the bottle, just like cream in fresh cow's milk.

We may get some flak, but many are finding out what really happen and you'll have the backup of many members of the 101st, just like in the article. Most of the men who were there already know the truth. I think most of the flak will come from those who WEREN'T there. You know what I mean?

The ones who choose not to believe it, are people who truly aren't interested in history, only in stories. Those are the "Hollywood" people and in my opinion, who give a s--t!? Am I not right?

That is one thing you will always find here and that is the truth. That is always my goal and what I try and strive for. That is why I was so happy to see you bring it up. I will help by being the champion for your cause.

Ah, now to the photo, that is quite a place to be billeted in. Not your standard army issued tent! :pdt12: You'll have to share more about that too.

Great article for those that haven't read it. It's a shame that historical facts get so jumbled up and then Hollywood gets involved and promotes the untruth's. It's sad to say that BoB reached many more people than that article ever will but fight the good fight and keep posting, a little progress is better than no progress at all ;)

j3rdinf, I'm relatively new here so I can't address you properly but please accept my profound thanks and appreciation for your service. You and all the men you served with will always have my respect and admiration. Stay well.

Ron

Ron Nash: Must agree with you, but every litle bit helps in our (3rd Inf Div) crusade

for the truth. I am glad the truth is comming out. I wasnt much, just a Dogface ,(Infantry Rifleman, PFC). But one of the many that knows the truth of when and where.

Hey Joe and Ron:

Well just got done watching Band of Brothers once again. God how I love that series and couldn't help but shed a few tears again tonight especially when they discovered the concentration camp. Wow, that sure tears your heart up. :(

But, it sure was a little more difficult to watch the Berchtesgaden part without thinking now of the 3rd Inf Div. Joe, I sure saw you there tonight and saluted you. I wish I could have reached into the TV set and changed the emblems on the sleeves on that 4th day of May 1945, but I DO know whose footfalls first touched the ground that day and soon many, many more will. As with all things, it will come slowly around and every time I watch that episode or anytime someone mentions the Eagle's Nest, I can say, "Hey guys, this is what really happened that day so many years ago.

And to Easy Company I salute all of you and am glad that you got to bask in the glory too as you so rightfully deserved. :pdt34:

I have been in the Map room underneath the Obersalzberg and It is not open to visitors without special pemission. The graffiti on the wall contains many signatures from the 3rd Inf Division.

That is nice to hear. I'm glad the 3rd Inf Div's signatures have been preserved. Now, no one can argue with that! ;)

Marion: One must admit it was strange that we (7th Reg.) captured and cleared B.Gaden on the 4th of May and we were "REQUESTED !!!!! " TO GET OUT and leave on

May 6th '45 and leave B. Gaden for the "tourist troops" as we called them. However we did go to a very nice village near Salzburg Austria. And yes, L company had a real

nice castle on that lake. (Schloss Annif it was called). Being in a different company we

were billitted in private homes in the village. Usually one squad or unit to a house. We

couldnt get over the different type of living for a while as it sure was great. Very little

duty and much free time, hot meals , baths, clean clothes and all the normal luxaries we

were not used to. Guess it was part of making us "civilized" again . I believe we left there and went to Fulda Germany about late Aug "45 which was our first step to going

home. By the way, am posting a pic (composite) which I made a couple of years ago

called OnceAgain. Check out the guy in the background with his right hand up and then compare it with the one I posted with 4 of us in Austria on Apr. 12 '05 under anything ww 2 about life overseas. I believe it is Stanley Manross (second from right in that pic).

Probably just a group of guys from several companies, although 3 of the guys look familiar.. And by the way, it was not May 4 '45 probably May 5 '45 as we left on the 6th

and were a bit busy on May 4th. If I am getting a bit boring will give you all a rest.

post-11-1113677385_thumb.jpg

I wasnt much, just a Dogface ,(Infantry Rifleman, PFC).

I beg to differ, you and all the infantry men were the army/airborne/navy/marines that made you're generation so special. Don't sell yourself short ;)

And I think I speak for all of us when I say that what may seem boring or uneventful to you is a wealth of knowledge for us. Never stop telling your story, there will always be a an ear to listen.

Ron

Pages: 1 2 3 4