Combat

Say Mare! How do we get with that Netfix you are talking about. Wasn't that Combat series the best. Just think; No blood and gore, no jeeps with screeching tires on dirt roads, no sparks flying when the bullets hit a tree, and best of all, no sparkling clean uniforms with creases in the pants and shirts. Just plain old dog tired GI's in grungy fatigues. them were da days.

P.S. for Cadetat6------ PAPA, if you keep getting promoted like this( Major to chicken Colonel ) How am I ever going to get out of shining your shoes & washing your car. Maybe the BRASS would like to know how come a certain cadet was wearing an officers uniform. heh, heh, heh.

chucktoo1926

Hi Chuck:

Ah, an easy question. After my day I'm glad it is. :D You can get to NetFlix here:

Net Flix

We've been members for about 4 years and are very, very pleased with the service and even more pleased with the GIGANTIC selection. Give them a try. I think it will be worth your while. NO LATE FEES! :blob3:

I've really been enjoying the Combat series. Oh yes, no creases. Just good ol' dirt and grime and grease. They don't look pretty, they look rough.

Yup, papa is in the officer's mess now. Care to play with the big kids? :lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

To Chucktoo, Cock-a-doo-del-do, I learned to spell that as a PFC

To General on Net Flix who is that eating pop corn with my Adopted Daughter

Operator give me Lee in Alger

papa

It's okay, we're married. :D

Marion J Chard

Been watching more Combat episodes and must say the show improved as the seasons progressed. The show lost some of the "hokiness" that filtered its way into the early ones. Yes, the show did have it's flaws, but what show didn't and for it's day and age, they did a pretty darned good job.

I do enjoy these and it sure brings back some old memories of watching it with my dad. I don't remember most of the episodes so it's like seeing many for the first time.

As I said on WBG's forum today, it's worth viewing. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Whats Up with the marine helmet cover on Sgt Saunders ?

Marion,

I love the show. I'm so glad that it is still aired along with "Galant Men", which takes place in Italy.

Here is another great link:

CombatFan.com

This site has forums, bloopers and names of all the episodes. Good info to get you motivated to watch it more closely. AND the forum answers Jiggers question.

Quoting from Forum:

Answer:

1) Because it's not a Marine helmet. It's a standard issue helmet that has Camoflage parachute silk over it. This was something that soldiers in Normandy were known to do -- photos from the period exist of this addition soldiers made to their standard issue.

2) It makes it easier to keep track of Saunders in the battle sequences.

Another reader stated:

As a child, the "urban myths" to explain this error were as follows:

1. Sgt Saunders was supposed to have been prior service Marine Corps and had been sent to Europe because he was either in the Philippines or Pearl Harbor when they were attacked. He had a grudge against the Japanese, so he was transferred to the Army in Europe.

2. Sgt. Saunders' brother was a Marine, who was killed in the Pacific, and brother Chip is wearing his "colors" in tribute.

3. Vic Morrow was,himself, a Marine and decided to wear it, despite its being incongruous, because it looked "cool."

Several points. First of all, the helmet camo cover that Saunders had was a genuine Army issue... same as mine was when I was in in the late 1970s... so, that's where it came from in reality. In point of fact, there are indeed pictures of ETO GIs with camo covers on their helmets, although generally of a different pattern, ie. something from the 1940s, not the 1960s (as it was then-current issue). Interestingly, in one episode, Kirby ends up wearing the helmet belonging to last season regular William Bryant (McCall), who wore a wide "rubber band" cut from a tire inner tube around it to hold foliage, etc. Sometimes, even the prop and wardrobe people screw up... only you didn't hear that from me!!!

As I understand it, camo uniforms were also issued to ARMY units but were quickly discarded by the troops themselves because of their similarity to Waffen SS camo uniforms, and the fact that soooo many mixups occured (i.e. friendly fire). I dont think the Army had to ban them - nobody wanted to wear them!

Then it finally ends with someone summing up that it was a way that Hollywood would make Vic Morrow's character stand out from the others.

Reference Source: "U.S. Combat Helmets of the 20th Century" (September 1997), ISBN 0-7643-0357-0, Hardcover with 108 pages including over 250 photographs, $39.95 from Schiffer Publishing.

Steve

As I understand it, camo uniforms were also issued to ARMY units but were quickly discarded by the troops themselves because of their similarity to Waffen SS camo uniforms, and the fact that soooo many mixups occured (i.e. friendly fire). I dont think the Army had to ban them - nobody wanted to wear them!

Quite right there Steve! Too many friendly fire incidences and that came quickly to a halt! Good idea gone bad...

Ah, I was on the combat fan site just this morning. Great minds DO think alike. :pdt34::pdt12:

Marion J Chard

I have a Vietnam era cover that is brown camo on the inside . It looks just like Sgt. Saunders.

Geez, this guy gets around... :pdt12:

Marion J Chard