Log for the trip home

Looks like he used an engineers transit book. Did it have the Trig. tables in the back or is it some sort of war time version?That is a nice little item.

This is what the book says at the begining and end. There are several more pages of engineering tables I haven't included.

Eng_Feild_book.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Eng_Feild_book.pdf (Size: 802.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

This is what the book says at the begining and end. There are several more pages of engineering tables I haven't included.

CaptO, By contrast, my trip home was a lonely one. I came home on points I aquired

overseas and combat. So I didn't know anyone on ship. Was discharged at

Ft. Leavenworth, Ks. rode bus to K.C., NO ONE SAID ''GLAD YOU ARE BACK''

EXCEPT when I was walking toward my house I had my douffle bag on my shoulder

and a man met me on the street and recognized me. He stopped and hugged me

and said, WELCOME HOME. THAT WAS ME WELCOMING COMMITTEE..

Unfortunately I didn't have anything to write on. or a camera so all I have is

the memory. Biggest thing is this gentleman that greeted me. Roque

Capt - I see a place in the documentary for these pages. Always thinking ahead... :armata_PDT_01:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

CaptO, By contrast, my trip home was a lonely one.

I guess it depends on how many people you come home with. In my case, in 2004 when I came home, I came back by myself because I was only augment and didn't go over with a unit. I at least had a family to meet me at the airport. When I come back from my upcoming deployment there will be a big welcome home because it will be a big unit returning. I suppose it was the same in WWII when big units came back on the Queen Mary or something similar. It may be 63 years late, Roque, but welcome home Soldier!

Capt - I see a place in the documentary for these pages. Always thinking ahead... :armata_PDT_01:

I could scan the rest. he also has some other engineering books of tables. Let me know.

P.S. I should have my speaking part to you this weekend!

How about this; interesting from an engineering point of view.

Journal_entry_1944.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Journal_entry_1944.pdf (Size: 256.64 KB / Downloads: 0)

:armata_PDT_01:

Thank you Capt. 11:am K.C. time, just got back from the "Pearl Harbors Survivors"

program. Most of them were Navy and a couple of Marines and Air force. I was the

only one that had the C.I.B. Made me feel pretty good. I shied away from the cameras.

Something funny happened. One guy came up to me and asked, are you Italian, or

Indian ??? I thought, damn, I said I AM AN AMERICAN OF MEXICAN DESCENT. HE SAID

I AM AN AMERICAN OF IRISH DESCENT. Few more words were said but I think I got

him straight. Oh well, lots more to tell but maybe later. I told them the difference

between Pearl Harbor and THE 442nd REGIMENTAL COMBAT TEAM. HIGHEST

DECORATED REGT. OF WW 11. Rocky

Capt: Thanks. Now you've got me drooling over the material. :frown: Just consider me a 540th junkie! :pdt12: Danka, gratias and merci.

I look forward to receiving your voice-overs. Things are coming together so well this month. I am a very, very happy camper.

So grateful for all the scanning you do, to bring this stuff to life for all of us. I truly wish your granddad was still with us. I'm sure you and I and your dad, would have a field day with him. What a source of information. We are lucky to have what we have though. :pdt20:

Rocky: Don't feel too bad about being thought of as Italian, etc. The heritage and proximity are very close. After all, we have those Mediterranean genes in our heritage. Your ancestors were originally from Spain, before being Mexican. Mine from Sicily. It's easy to make that mistake. Sometimes it's easy to mistake where someone is from. :blush:

Marion J Chard

Capt: Thanks. Now you've got me drooling over the material. :frown: Just consider me a 540th junkie! :pdt12: Danka, gratias and merci.

I look forward to receiving your voice-overs. Things are coming together so well this month. I am a very, very happy camper.

So grateful for all the scanning you do, to bring this stuff to life for all of us. I truly wish your granddad was still with us. I'm sure you and I and your dad, would have a field day with him. What a source of information. We are lucky to have what we have though. :pdt20:

Rocky: Don't feel too bad about being thought of as Italian, etc. The heritage and proximity are very close. After all, we have those Mediterranean genes in our heritage. Your ancestors were originally from Spain, before being Mexican. Mine from Sicily. It's easy to make that mistake. Sometimes it's easy to mistake where someone is from. :blush:

ROGER,ROGER, I READ YOU LOUD AND CLEAR,,,,WILCO-OUT rac-coon-huntin'

One of the few stories my father would tell was about waiting to go home. He was desperate to go home, so when they had filled their quota for a boat he heard someone say "Geeze we need a butcher". The only thing my father ever butchered was an occasional chicken, but he knew that by the time they got to the point where they figured out he had no idea what he was doing, they wouldnt throw him overboard. So that was how my father learned how to butcher. Anytime someone bagged a deer, they would call him and he would take his favorite knives and go. He also learned to barber while in Europe. My cousins still talk about being "treated" to one of Uncle Georges haircuts.....I was fortunate that the only thing he knew how to do was a crewcut, so I missed out....

That is a great story. We need a butcher... Think I would have volunteered too! Now pass me that knife! :pdt34:
Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Old Red Bull Goes Home Walt's Daughter 3 4,697 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas