Log for the trip home

Probably more than anything else, the soldier/sailor/airman/Marine looks forward to going home. This is as true now as it was then, of course, and probably just as true in the days of Roman legions. Fortunately for those who got into WWII on the ground floor (Operation Torch - North Africa), got to go home shortly after V - E Day. This is my grandfather's log he kept on the way home. I kept a similar log on the way home from Iraq but we flew back so it didn't take near as long (long flight though!!) Perhaps mine will be interesting 60 years from now!

PS. The attachments don't show in chronological order so you will have to go by the date on the page. The single page entry is the first.

CaptO

Thanks for your posting of your grandfather's log of his long trip home .It is most interesting and informative . I think it is helpful for our younger people to realize the magnitude of the sacrifices of our military . Many do not realize that most of our WWII veterans left home in 40 or 41 and did not come home until late 45 .

I look forward to following this topic .

ColBill

That's a LONG trip home. Imagine at every stop he was thinking, "A bit closer..." Can't imagine how if felt at the last stop; destination home!
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Looks like he used an engineers transit book. Did it have the Trig. tables in the back or is it some sort of war time version?That is a nice little item.

I think there were tables like that in the back. I know he had lots of other engineering specific pocket books. I can scan some for the posting, but it will have to wait until this weekend. It's been busy at work. Tomorrow I have the gas chamber to go through!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

It's so great that you have this log of your grandfather's, Capt O! As M1 said - we just can't imagine what it felt like to be getting closer & closer to home & then - FINALLY!, after all

they went through - to be HOME. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Just knowing you were going home must surely have brought on a range of conflicting emotions. On one hand joy and on the other hand fear: "am I going to make it?", "will something happen to me before I can get home" etc.

Home meant everything to my Dad, so I'm sure there was a constant mental drumbeat

of "home,home, home..." playing in his mind throughout North Africa, Italy, and France.

He'd have to find away to tamp that down & not listen to it - or else he wouldn't have been able to survive and function. The same must hold true for all our servicemen & women - then & now.

Homecoming is one of the missing pieces of my Dad's history I'd most like to have.

Where did he arrive? Did he get off at the train station in Wellesley and walk through the neighborhood streets to home? If the ship arrived in Boston, were his parents there to meet him? I have all the letters that he wrote to his mother,

but there's no letter telling that he's coming home. I wonder if he just surprised them.

I would so much like to be able to see my father's and my grandmother's faces when they saw each other again. I strain to see it/ imagine it, but can't. In the same way, I try to see the beachhead at Anzio and the snow in France. When you love someone, you are anxious to be with them when they're sick, celebrate with them when they are happy, let them know you are with them when they are afraid. When you get right down to it, this is why we are all here - Marion's peeps - love & gratitude bring us here & the desire to understand, not only those we love (notice I didn't say "loved" because it's still very much in the present), but those who were there sharing those

experiences. We study old newsreels and photographs because we want to "see" what they saw, we want to be in the planes with them, stand with them on the LSTs, and be next to them in the foxholes. We can never, never experience what they did, but we can darn well try to inch as close as possible.

CoBill is so right about the need for successive generations to understand the sacrifices made by all our military. If they aren't made aware, even of the concept of sacrifice, how will they develop a deep appreciation of it later in life?

Not everyone is like us here in the M1 Peeps Community ( I know, it's shocking - isn't it?), not everyone is as fortunate as we are. When we pour over maps of Italy, hold our loved ones dog tags, read their letters, place flowers on their graves, or visit the war memorials - we are loving them and in a very real sense & knowing them as well.

My grandmother suffered from Alzheimers and died when I was 6, so I only have a few precious memories of her. Nevertheless, to me she is no longer just a name on the family tree - she is "Grandma". A 1907 photograph of her is the "wallpaper" on my PC and every morning I look into her eyes and say:"Hi Grandma!". I am now able to see her more as God sees her :the dear daughter of John & Eilis Jordan, beloved wife of Michael Howard, dearly loved mother of Francis, Mary, and Joe and - MY much loved Grandma. Is it possible to love someone you barely knew? Oh yes indeed! It's a mystery of Grace, but that love actually grows stronger with time. If we pitiful human beings can capture an image and keep it for 100 yrs - surely God has them forever in a

completeness we can't fathom.

Before I quit babbling on - I'd like you to meet her. I can only introduce you to her as she was in 1907, because the Lord has her now in fullness. In 1945, she was the most important part of "home" that my Dad was longing to see - Marion Josephine Jordan Howard:

Well said. I am glad to have all these documents that make his experience more personal to me than just a unit history. I kept a handwritten journal when I was in Iraq that shows a personal side of me although it was more of an operational history. Feelings and all that mushy stuff went into letters to my wife and kids. I was contemplating an electronic journal for this time, but I think the handwritten one is more personal. Plus I get to doodle.

I just shudder to think of all the history lost in that fire. Fortunately, my grandfather was meticulous about saving his records so we have a fairly complete record of what he did (at least administratively.) My dad has those, however, and I haven't got them to scan. When I was home in July I looked through them but my family kept me so busy I didn't get a chance to get through much of it. Next time, I suppose.

Great picture, by the way. I wish I could see what was on the medal she wore. There is a glare on it in the picture. She's obviously proud of it.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Hello,

I see your granddad were in Luxemburg, maybe you have some photos from over here?

To M2 your Grandmother is beautiful on the picture. :rolleyes:

Martin

M2: Beautiful post. Sometimes people question me and ask, "Well how well could you have known your dad?" Well I remember him quite well, and those 12 years were more than enough to get to know him and remember him as a very wonderful man and father. I feel as strongly (maybe more so!) about him now as I did then. Sometimes it doesn't take very long to establish a long and everlasting love. Many of us "peeps", are sure proof of that.

Great photo of your grandmother. Gorgeous and proud looking woman.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Capt O - that's actually a locket that she's wearing. Can you believe I'm lucky enough to have it with it's original chain - just as she wore it in the photo.

This is actually a perfect example of how we are able to learn more about our loved ones from seemingly insignificant sources - even long after they are gone.

When I was a child, my father had this locket in a drawer he'd set aside for the few possessions which he valued (his dogtags, his father's pocket watch, his Missal, and a watch my mother gave him). Once in awhile, he'd take it out & let me look at it. I knew only that it was "Grandma Howard's". and that she was the lady who's picture I often stared at in that huge ornate frame. I remember that I like to look at it because I thought she was very beautiful, especially her eyes. I didn't have the vocabulary then for what I saw in her eyes, but it was gentleness and also an "awakeness" - awareness & intelligence. I suppose that what I saw, was the "someone" she was inside.

Years passed & I forgot all about the locket. After Dad died, I found it among his treasured things and really looked at it. It's a round gold locket with a crescent shaped

moon with small clear stones and one single stone as a "star" on the front and on the back are initials "MJJ". My mother said "Open it, I think there's a picture of your father in

it." Sure enough, there were 2 small photos of my grandfather wearing a straw hat and my father as a baby. Two of the people she loved most in the world.

Later, I realized that this was the same locket she was wearing in the 1907 photograph, which was several years before she met & married my grandfather.

The locket has her maiden name initials - Marion Josephine Jordan, so she definitely had it before her marriage. Thinking about it further, it occurred to me that this locket would've been too costly for her to buy for herself. Coming to America in 1901, she worked as a ladies maid for a wealthy family in Cambridge Mass. My father used to talk about how this family grew to love her. He'd tell me snippets of stories about how they'd fuss over her & take care she didn't have to do extra work because she was so thin & pale. They'd take her to downtown Boston & buy her nice clothes & hats & treated her as if she was a member of their family. Though they weren't Catholic, they made sure she could get to Mass, even having the family coach take her to church in bad weather.

I didn't think much about these stories when I heard them - other than this must've been a very nice family and my grandmother was well liked. Only later did I come to realize that this was exceptionally good treatment for a "servant" of that time, but my grandmother herself was also quite a remarkable woman.

It was VERY observant of you Capt O, to notice how proudly she seems to be wearing that locket. I think you may just have provided me with an additional bit of information!

I came to the conclusion that the locket must have been a gift to her - probably from the family she worked for, but now - looking with fresh eyes (thanks to you!) - I can see she DOES appear to be wearing it with pride. Could it be that they gave it to her for her 27th birthday in 1907? and took her somewhere to have her picture taken??

I bet it was!!!

mary ann

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Old Red Bull Goes Home Walt's Daughter 3 4,752 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas