Memorial Day 2008

To ALL the Vet's living and dead from all the wars. Thank You for all you have given to this great nation. :armata_PDT_37:

To the gentlemen of the GREATEST GENERATION, including my father (36th Combat Eng), you gave so much and said so little of your feats.

Be they small or big you all help contribute to bring the end of WWII. Thank you can never say enough for what you went through.

I fly my flag proudly every day in honor of all that gave so much.

Semicop----THANK YOU FOR REMEMBERING US THAT ARE STILL AROUND

AND BEST OF ALL, THE HEROES THAT GAVE THEIR ALL.

ROQUE(rocky)

Sent to me by:

Hello All,

My new column is up on Newsarama. It's about Memorial Day. I hope to see you all soon. I forgot to credit the photographer (and it looks like I credited Herve and Gerome) for the photo of Tomosu Hirahara's grave and there are some typos as I rushed the column over the weekend for yesterday.

Anyway, if you like the column, please post a response as it will help get "Sgt. Rock - The Lost Battalion" more publicity.

Thanks!

Billy

William Tucci

Ambassadeur, De La Region De Bruyeres, Vosges, France

Crusade Fine Arts, Ltd.

429 Middle Road

Bayport , NY 11705

ph. 631.472.2866

fx. 631.472.2798

www.williamtucci.com

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=158170

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

"May we, their grateful children, learn

Their strength, who lie beneath this sod,

Who went through fire and death to earn

At last the accolade of God"

AMEN to that from the great Joyce Kilmer!

For many years now, I honor our veterans on Memorial Day by attending the flag raising

ceremony and then outdoor Mass for Veterans at St Mary's Cemetery. I wear a shirt that says: "If you value your freedom - thank a Vet" and got to thank quite a few Vets yesterday!

The first time I ever went to the outdoor Memorial Day service, it was so beautiful & moving, I was sorry I hadn't attended years before. Yesterday's Mass was just as wonderful - all the local Wellesley, Needham, and Newton Vets come with their families and many, many people from the towns around. It really makes you feel so encouraged to see such a big crowd of people remembering that Memorial Day is not

just about cook-outs!

I always arrive early, park the car & walk to all the Howard graves - Aunt Mary's,

Uncle Joe's, my Grandparent's, and Mom & Dad & brother's. Yesterday, I realized that I'd been coming to the cemetery for over 50 years. As a child, my Dad brought me to water the flowers & I've a vivid memory of the sound of robins singing & leaves rustling in the May twilight. I've been planting all the flowers for over 25 years now & I've also "adopted" the grave of the Rainsford family. Though I never knew him, Mr. Rainsford was a friend and neighbor of my grandfather. His 8 children all died young in their 20s & 30s - and there's no one left to plant flowers, so I honor him for his kindness to my grandparents ( he was a carpenter & helped build my grandparents home).

"May we, their grateful children, learn.." - Indeed, I hope many children are still being taught to honor those who've sacrificed so much - our veterans, our families, & friends.

m2

For me, an add on to Memorial Day is, tomorrow Wed. I am joining several

other WW 11 Vets. for a luncheon,(free), then we will be instructed on the

tour that we are being taken to Wash. D.C. June 11. Marion<, Gary Swanson

called me and said He wanted me to go. There is an org. here called

"AMERICANS REMEMBERED INC. & JACKSON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY",

that is sponsoring this trip. I feel fortunate that I was one they picked. Rocky

Rocky,

Hope you have a great luncheon! Are they serving :drinkin: - if they are, :) have one for

me :drinkin: !!

mary ann

MaryAnn---I'll have a "Tequila con sal" as a toast to you. M-1 I don't forget.

I am still glad tha Gary Swanson picked me.

Rocky

At Camp Lejeune they were firing a round a minute (on the ceremonial gun by the headquarters building) starting at 1200 and going to 1221 when they raised the flag to the full staff. After that my wife, the boys, and I shot off some Estes Rockets in the nearby field.

Thanks to all veterans, living and dead, who have gone before. They have enabled me to be in the land I live in today, and without their sacrifice - one doesn't need to die to sacrifice - that wouldn't be so.

A special thanks to you WWII vets reading this. I only wish my grandfather was here to write a message. I hope that mine will suffice for the immense pride he had in you and all others of his generation. The men made it so the officers' plans were executed. You have my salute forever and always.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

CAPTO; JUST A SIMPLE THANK YOU THAT COMES FROM THE HEART

FROM THIS LIVING WW 11 VET SHOULD MEAN A LOT. ROQUE(rocky)

Memorial Day 2008 at Omaha Beach

VEE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anzio - A Memorial Day Tribute sixgun 5 6,377 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Memorial Day 2009 Tribute Walt's Daughter 21 20,858 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Veterans Day, Wiltshire, England. Sun.9th No.2008. ricklind 1 4,563 11-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Rememberance Sunday 2008. colinhotham 0 3,022 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  2008 Sons of American Legion NY Mets Walt's Daughter 0 3,207 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
  A Benefit for the New Jersey WWII Memorial Walt's Daughter 0 3,246 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
  Margraten Memorial Day / Morneweck gbuscg 10 11,302 05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
  Memorial Day twobisquit 7 8,940 05-28-2007, 10:28 AM