Library of Congress, WWII maps online

Here`s a link to a series of 416 maps form the Library of Congress.

Each quadrangle sheet shows the position of the 12th Army Group and adjacent Allied Forces and of the German units for each day from D-Day (6 June 1944) thru 26 July 1945.

On a lot of the maps after sept 1944, you can see the locations of 7th Army & 6 Corps HQs and position of all the divisions in the area by zooming in toward the bottom of the map.

These maps are very helpful for finding exact daily location of almost any unit.

HQ Twelfth Army Group situation maps

There are many more maps available from the home page including Civil War maps that i think would be of interest to our Civil War buffs on the forum.

Military Campaign Maps Home Page

A tremendous collection of maps. Will have to add that link to the main site this week. Gratias!
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Is any one else having issues with the JP2's? I downloaded IrfanView to view it and it seems to not work well. Any thoughts?

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I haven't had much time to play with the site yet. I looked at only a couple of the maps. I didn't download anything, just zoomed in and out with the uploaded maps.

I know you need a special viewer. You stated you are using Ifranview. If I get a chance to fool with it, I will let cha know.

This site lists a couple of other viewers:

http://filext.com/file-extension/JP2

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Capt, you can try downloading the MrSID viewer from the site, it may show the maps you download better. I downloaded it & it works ok on Win XP. The IrFanview should work if you download the map files as .tiff

How to View

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diary - Book 788 Oct 30, 1944 - FDR Library Walt's Daughter 0 2,395 04-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Gothic Line Maps Enrico 22 18,300 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM
  Maps 34th infantry Division sixgun 1 3,045 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Bastogne Maps.... ricklind 1 2,625 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
  Omaha Beach - Britannica Online Encyclopedia Walt's Daughter 0 1,951 10-23-2007, 10:54 AM