Documentary - No Bridge Too Far

Much love to you Jim and all my "fans"! :wub: Will be sharing some of my footage in the near future. Lee is going to help me convert all the VHS footage to DVD, but we won't have to convert the NARA footage Carolyn got me for because she sent a mini-DVD to me. Gotta love her. :wub:

Hey Riojas, I saw some Red Bulls in that footage. Looks like a medic was aiding one of his fellow Red Bulls. Can't wait for you to see it. :pdt20:

On a similar note, the Army Corps of Engineers Office of History contacted me again today and Michael and the gang are ready to get started on the interviews. I sent them a list of questions and when they are ready, Gary from the Library of Congress' Veteran's History Project, is going to loan them their top-notch video camera, with the agreement that we will share the interviews with them. A wonderful deal, don't cha think? Can't believe the wonderful and generous people I have met. Everyone is doing so much to assist me with this project. :love:B):pdt34:

A friend of mine who runs the 60th Infantry Div site, sent me a some great video footage from North Africa. I can use it on our site and the documentary as long as I give them credit. No problemo! Danka, danka!

I was also able to learn how to use another form of media for use on our site. As many of you know I was using a Photodex Player to display my documentary on the web. It was GREAT because it had fine, sharp quality, a large viewing area, etc., but they are having one problem; a synchonization problem. At times the video and audio would off-synch, giving the appearance in certain spots that I created a sloppy work-of-art. I wrote to them and they are aware of the problem, but as of today, do not have a fix for it yet. Therefore I decided not to use it until this is rectified.

I needed another format to use, and after spending mega hours "playing" with many of them, decided to use one called DIVX. It was very-reasonably priced, easy to work with and will allow Mac and Windows users to view it. Though not as sharp as the Photodex viewer, it allows me to serve a wider audience and therefore I can update it easily as I make proceed. I apologize for the smaller viewing screen, but in order to keep the file to a decent upload size...

Once again let me extend an invitation to view it online. If you would like to see it, drop me a line and let me know and I will send you the link. Many of you already have the link and the address has not changed.

More later...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

HEY RIOJAS!!!!

Wouldn't mind seeing some of those famous RED BULLS.

Just got a newsletter today Pres. of the "Anzio Beachhead Veterans Assoc"

is trying to get a tour organized to go to Italy. Hm, shore thinkin bout it.

I think I qualify. rocky :armata_PDT_19:

Rocky: I will try and make a copy for you. It's not very long, but so cool to see some old and rare footage. I will also post it on the web as soon as I get a chance. Rock on Red Bulls!

I think you should try and go to Italy if you can. It sure would be a beautiful opportunity wouldn't it. :armata_PDT_01:

Marion J Chard

This is SO cool. I am working on the documentary this afternoon, and as I do so many times, was using Google to find things I needed. I can't believe I found this today, because I have searched before, but obviously didn't search with the right set of words. I found a site called

Cradle of Invasion - Commemorating the US Navy's Amphibious Training Base Solomons, Maryland

This is where OUR engineer's did their amphibious training, and this is the spot I wrote about in my article. I had no idea there was a website dedicated to it and I am just thrilled because I am currently working on this time period in my documentary. I am going to write to them right now and ask permission to use photos, etc., in the project.

Check this out, for many, many units trained here before deploying to the Atlantic and Pacific Theatres.

http://cradleofinvasion.calvertmarinemuseu...m/memorial.html

Marion J Chard

Blogging...

The last two weeks have been spent researching, scanning, reading, writing, gathering, emailing, arranging...well you get the picture. More behind-the-scenes endeavors, which I've found make up a majority of the time spent creating a documentary. Sometimes the logistics reach an enormous plateau.

Today was great because I actually got back into the production aspect; adding slides, voice overdubs, etc. The creative side. FUN!!!

There was a sad aspect though; adding a photo of my dear friend Al and his wife. A wedding photo taken in 1942. As many of you know, Al passed away in late August and it was a real blow to me. I think I was subconsciously putting off the next few slide additions, knowing I would have to add that photo and... Well it was difficult and I have to admit, I got teary-eyed. I miss him tremendously.

Fourth sunny day here in Michigan and warming up. It's been inspiring. We've been doing more around the house too. So here's to sunshine and inspiration for the creative process. :clappin:

Marion J Chard

Okay, looking for volunteers for the documentary. I need the following:

-A few good young men! I need a "voice" for each individual veteran with the project. I have two people right now and will probably need at least a dozen or more. This will be in the same vein as the Ken Burn's Civil War series. Each person was representing by a unique voice. I think this adds a lot of ambience to the documentary and makes it more personal. If you are willing to give 'er a shot, please let me know. I will sending scripts to each person as the lines are written. Right now I am doing most of the voice-overs myself just to see how everything fits in.

-Need more veteran interviews on film. Gary Swanson is sending me a few, but would love to have more to create a more balanced production. If you are a veteran and can have a friend, or family member film you, please let me know.

-I was also thinking today...why not capture some of the sons, daughters or grandkids on film too. If you would love to talk about your WWII loved one, please give me a jingle. Have someone film you in a favorite spot in your house, or a lovely garden area, etc. Share a favorite story or stories, let me know how they influenced you. etc., etc.

Thanks everyone. Really counting on your help. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Just a suggestion... Maybe try calling a radio station for help with voiceovers. Some of these guys have had training and know how to sound "right".

Chris

Good suggestion, but I need SO many, and I can't afford to pay anyone who's professional. I'm just relying on friends and family with good voices who aren't shy. My stepson is doing one voice and he sounds great! :drinkin:
Marion J Chard

Two of my step-son's friends have agreed to help me out too. Fantastic! So thanks in advance to Eric, Tim and Grant.

Today I am placing all the vet's names into a database and starting to assign the voice-overs. Also making sure each script (numbered by slide), is neatly type-written, so each man taking over a role will be able to easily read it. Within are also notes for pronunciation, where needed.

So today is another organization day. Maybe not as much fun, but an absolute necessity. It ensures things will roll along a bit smoother in the long run. :pdt34:

Special thanks to our friend Gerome Villain, for he is going to film some modern day footage of the Vosges area for me. It will be a nice touch. I will forever be indebted. :wub:

Received three video interviews which were taped by Gary Swanson in conjunction with the Veterans History Project. Thank you, thank you Gary, and a special thanks to the following engineers:

Lewis Grace - 208th Combat Engineer

Floyd Mock - 208th Combat Engineer

Norman Mansell - 112th Combat Engineer

Love to all for their time and contributions. So many good people out there!

Marion J Chard

Had a few suggestions about giving a preview to the world, so I thought about it and said, why not. Am working on a page this evening, and should have it ready later tonight or tomorrow. Am offering a Flash version and Photodex version, so both Mac and PC users will be able to view it.

Other have previews of their work, and it just might get me some much needed sponsorship, so I think it's a good idea too.

I will place the links here as soon as I'm ready. Will also place them on the main site too.

Later that same night...

Ah, here ya go, the sneak preview to the work in progress. Remember it IS a work in progress, and many things need to be tweaked in the first segment yet, such as voice and music EQ'ing, etc. But it will give you a good idea at what I am aiming for.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/NoBridgeTooFar.htm

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginning Thoughts on No Bridge Too Far - 2006 Walt's Daughter 16 22,458 02-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter