1251st Engineers

Just starting to read it. Will finish tomorrow, for it's getting late and I have to get to bed. Sounds wonderful so far and very interesting. Thanks!

Oh, BTW, got a few 1251st veterans back together this week. I was so excited to be part of this. What an honor!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Just read it to end. I'm lucky that he wrote about Shelly and not acGeorge, Veto or Leon. :rolleyes:

Christoph

Hello,

The bridge across the Rhine from Neuss to Dusseldorf was the Ernie Pyle Bridge.

We have another veteran - Dick Deice. He signed our guestbook recently and I added him to the 1251st group and sent a round of emails this week, introducing him to the other members. What a thrill.

Sometimes I have to remind myself, how this site brings people together, whether it be vet to vet or sons and daughters. It's great to see this happen, time and time again. That's what life is all about, Charlie Brown!

charlie-brown-valentine2.jpg

Marion J Chard

Oh btw, Dick is in the group photo posted on Jan 3. He is back row, fourth from left.

Marion J Chard

My father Leon Lipschitz was in the 1251st Combat Engineers Battalion. Here is a picture of the platoon he was in and some other pictures. If you know locations, which company it was or the names of his fellow comrades; it would be appreciated. Dad changed his name after the war to Leon Lipten.

Hi there!

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. That is Company B of the 1251st. I think my dad George Kubeck is the Sargeant standing in row 2 with his cap at a jaunty angle. (One Easter I had a long discussion with my cousins about which one he was"His friend Dick Deise is behind him with the dapper little mustache. Everyone in the unit seems to have a photo with the Pacific Bound sign. The 1251st was instumental in building Camp Tophat, one of the "cigarette camps" named for Brittish cigarettes and to be used to either send to the Pacific or home. The 1251st built the chapel at the camp.

Oh very cool. I will add his name to photo, right now. Isn't it great how pieces of info coming filtering in. Love the "dapper little mustache"! :pdt12:

Okay looking at pic right now. Are you talking about the guy standing next to Deice with helmet at angle? Want to make sure I am getting it right.

Marion J Chard

The guy in front of the guy with the rakish helmet. My dad (if it is my dad) is wearing a soft cap and has sgt stripes that you can barely see.

Oh very cool. I will add his name to photo, right now. Isn't it great how pieces of info coming filtering in. Love the "dapper little mustache"! :pdt12:

Okay looking at pic right now. Are you talking about the guy standing next to Deice with helmet at angle? Want to make sure I am getting it right.

Okay according to Dick:

Marion, I am not sure your banner over "Lippy's" photo of Pacific Bound is correct. I am sure he did not have enough 'points' to be returned back to the US at that time. The sign was probably made for those being processes at Camp Top Hat, Antwerp, to be sent out of Europe.

Regarding the pictures. They represent the people of Company 'B', Third platoon and I cannot remember the Squad.

About the group picture using me as the guide - The man to my right is Raymond Manning, to my right is Leroy Chronister, just in front of me to my left is Leon 'Lippy' Lipschitz, the third in from the left side of the photo to the rear is Thomas Thomas. I am fairly sure that these named men were all in the same squad.

There was a guy named George H. Kubeck, of Wallingford, CT in the same platoon. I am not sure if he is in the photo. You can get his identity from his daughter Darlene

cleardot.gif

Marion J Chard

I also thought the guy in front of him to the left was Leon too, for he is in other pictures in the gallery.

Marion J Chard