Forums

Full Version: 1251st Engineers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

civilwargal

Hi there!

This is my first post. My dad Sgt George Kubeck was a combat engineer in WWII. He was part of the 1251st Engineer Combat Battalion. I'm trying to find anything on the battalion. What Brigade, Division or army were they part of? My dad's records were part of the group lost in the St. Louis fire. I figured out that he was part of the 1251st by reading the back of some pictures. The Army historian was able to find only one piece of documentation listing where they were stationed for training, when they went to England and then to France. At least I know that they existed. I would appreciate any, and I mean any info that you might have encountered. When I googled it, I found several obits listing that they were members of the unit.

My dad was lucky enough to go back to Germany during the seventies on business. He managed to find the spot where they had put a bridge over the river and got to stand on the bank. He never really talked about his time in the Army, but I did ask him how it felt to go back and stand on the same spot all those years later. His response was "It was really nice to stand there without someone shooting at me".

Thanks for your help

Darlene aka Civilwargal.....

Hi there Darlene:

So nice to have ya here! Let's see...

1251st Engr (Combat) Bn (WWII)

Mr. Bernard E Ernst 920-734-6681

543 S Chain Dr

Appleton WI 54915-1437

Part of 9th Army -

http://www.geocities.com/twofortyforth/9thto.htm

Will look for more later, but it's a start!

I realize this thread is a few years old, but here's what I have - a photo from camp Top Hat of some of the 1251st. My late cousin, Veto Fontana, was in the 1251st. He has the arrow pointing at him in the photo. I understand he later was posted at Hitler's Eagle's Nest for some duration of time.

vito_unit.jpg

vito.jpg

Ken

Just so people don't think I'm ignoring the "newbie", I did reply to another post of kc7451's, earlier today. :armata_PDT_01: :armata_PDT_01:

My father Leon Lipschitz was in the 1251st Combat Engineers Battalion. Here is a picture of the platoon he was in and some other pictures. If you know locations, which company it was or the names of his fellow comrades; it would be appreciated. Dad changed his name after the war to Leon Lipten.

post-1602-0-31725300-1357241848_thumb.jpg

post-1602-0-88082000-1357242108_thumb.jpg

post-1602-0-21241000-1357242414_thumb.jpg

I am always thrilled to see new pictures. I'd also like to put these on the photo gallery page, if that is alright with you.

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum.

Yes they are fine to post

Oh, when I do post these, what last name should I use for the folder? Before or after? :pdt12: I can make a note too.

Just uploaded the pics. Did some clean-up too, so hope you like the re-touched photos. Made a big difference on unit image. I'm sure I can do even better, but not too bad for a few quick moments...

Look in the Photo Gallery under his name.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/imagevue/?p=gallery#/content/start/

I found something about the 1251st Engineers, quiet new, perhaps for you, too:

http://easthamptonstar.com/?q=Opinion/2012502/GUESTWORDS-Bridge-May-8-1945

Christoph

Pages: 1 2 3