Photos of our WWII Veteran Forum Members

:armata_PDT_01::armata_PDT_01:

Tactics Class 101 for those that need it. PAY ATTENTION TROOPS!!!!

I should have told you "Why the "Rhino Tank" was important".

A major problem with our tanks was that they would "ride up" on the

Bocage and expose the lightly armored belly to the Kraut fire as they

were trying to crash through. But rather than crashing through, they

were bouncing off and getting stuck with their guns pointed up to

the sky. Some actually turned Turtle and landed on their backs. Also

once on the road in the Bocage Area the tanks could not traverse their

guns but only fire straight head the roads were so narrow.

Sgt.Curtis G Culin Jr.(a farm boy) finally solved the problem by welding

a set of steel plates to the front of his tank and managed to cut through

the Bocage with his guns blazing. At the end of July, 3 out of every 5 tanks

in the Bocage area of Normandy had been fitted with these "horns" and

given the name "Rhino". Sgt. Culin was awarded the US Legion of Merit

Medal for his invention.

Sgtleo :coffee::coffee:

:armata_PDT_19::machinegun:

Roque:-

Take another close look at my boots. That ain't shoe polish on them!!!

Sgtleo :heartpump::heartpump:

Hell It looks like you're barefoot. or maybe dust. Right Joe!

OH yeah, I do see a speck of ,--mud,I think. Sarge you're AOK in my book !!!!!!!! Roque

O.K. you two (or us 3 ) enough already before the people here think we aint just "funning" each other and are

serious . Now here is a picture of a few of us (I am second from the left) that shows us as "real soldiers". Notice the clean uniforms, caps, even neckties. Even smiling.

Of course its about 2 months after the war in ETO ended and in front of our nice private house billets in Austria and

two months of hot food and no one shooting at us anymore. Real luxury. Beds, hot water, indoor plumbing and

bathtubs. 2 men to a bedroom with clean sheets. Talk about feeling like a civilian again and slowly getting civilized,

We are standing in front of our temporary billets and stayed here for another month after this pic. (drool you 2 guys). Then to Fulda Germany in the Bliedorn Kaserne which was also damn near as nice while waiting to go home.

I know, we were very lucky and it was probably unusual but it is fact. But now, we even looked like soldiers ready

for inspection. what a difference a couple of months make .

guys4.jpg

Nice picture Joe, You guys look sharp. When I came home we were North of Bologna and

it took 2 days to get to Salerno but no one had a camera so the only picture of me in

uniform was after I got home. Nice to be back home,right Joe? Roque

shined like a jewel in a goats' ass.

Wow Rocky.... that 's pretty shiny! :armata_PDT_23:

Los of love guys!!

Brooke

Sarge: Interesting pics of those tanks taking up the hedgerows. Now back to uss'n guys. Last pic I put on should have us ready for your inspection. All but weapons as the "Natives" were friendly after the war being damn glad they were not in the Russian Zone of occupation. Wepons were usually lef back in our BEDROOMS. ( but clean).

Cant figure how and why we were billetted in civilian housing for these months but not ours to wonder why, just enjoy as we did. Maybe you have the answer.

Sarge: Interesting pics of those tanks taking up the hedgerows. Now back to uss'n guys. Last pic I put on should have us ready for your inspection. All but weapons as the "Natives" were friendly after the war being damn glad they were not in the Russian Zone of occupation. Wepons were usually lef back in our BEDROOMS. ( but clean).

Cant figure how and why we were billetted in civilian housing for these months but not ours to wonder why, just enjoy as we did. Maybe you have the answer.

You were a PFC right (That means a Personal Friend of the Commandant). That's where billets came from.

If you are ready to stand Inspection, you better take your hand out of your pocket; have the man on your left put his arms by his side; all of you put your heels together with feet (toes)at a 45 degree angle and better yet Dress Right Dress! You guys look like a bunch of newbies not BTDTs. None of you get a pass this week-end and I want to see the weapons.

If you don't pass "Mess Sgt." has a Range you can ride(remember)!!

When you are ready call me again!!

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19:

The moderator approves wholeheartedly! Super thread there soldiers. Just what I want to see! :pdt34::pdt34:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The moderator approves wholeheartedly! Super thread there soldiers. Just what I want to see! :pdt34::pdt34:

**************THANK YOU QUEEN M-1*********************pfc rjr

You were a PFC right (That means a Personal Friend of the Commandant). That's where billets came from.

If you are ready to stand Inspection, you better take your hand out of your pocket; have the man on your left put his arms by his side; all of you put your heels together with feet (toes)at a 45 degree angle and better yet Dress Right Dress! You guys look like a bunch of newbies not BTDTs. None of you get a pass this week-end and I want to see the weapons.

If you don't pass "Mess Sgt." has a Range you can ride(remember)!!

When you are ready call me again!!

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19::armata_PDT_19:

You guys had Billets. What the hell is a Billet. WE had tents. After the fireworks ceased I

wasn't there long enough to see anything, including Rome. Would have loved to have seen it.

Billets, some guys have all the luck. Roque

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  527 Light Pontoon Company, photos from Bud Pendergast Mark Pendergast 3 5,091 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  More 36th Engineer photos - current Walt's Daughter 2 5,595 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Jim Davis - photos from the war Walt's Daughter 4 9,032 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photos of our other veterans Walt's Daughter 4 8,634 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco