Photos of our WWII Veteran Forum Members
Capt O! That is a superb photo. Says a lot about the man. I can see he spread a lot of love and joy in his time. :heartpump::armata_PDT_01:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Great photo of Jim Hennessey taken in the states after the war (1949). Just love this one. :wub:

post-2-1206556153_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Postman.jpg (Size: 293.59 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Ok guys

the photo shows the German Strongpoint WN65 on Omaha Beach and is situated north of the D514 in the village of Laurent-sur-Mer. This is a well know picture of troops of the 2nd US Inf. Div. walking of the beach. The Bunker is a H677 type. Inside is only one of two ORIGINAL remaining guns in casemates on this beach. The gun is a 5cm KwK gun. The other original is an 88mm gun at WN72, north of the D514 at Vierville-sur-Mer.

he other big guns is from the Longues battery. Longues-s-Mer Just to the west of Arromanches, the Battery is signposted from the D 514. the first photo shows one of Casemates Gun number 1 at Longues. In the German war journals there is an entry that this gun had, the day before D-day, a minor hit in front of the gun, during an air raid. This small damage was not discovered. So on D-day while fighting the allied warship Ajax and more ships, a shell exploded in the chamber of the gun, and a barrel burst happened. The blast went backwards to the ammunition rooms and blew out the back of the bunker

¨

After the war, every town or village Mayor in the battle torn parts of Normandy and France was allowed by the government to remove any metal, equipment, food, materials, etc. and sell/use the items for the well of his people. The mayor of Longues-sur-Mer decided to keep the guns inside, to be a memorial of a bloody and hostile time ion the past.

Tthe observation bunker also called "B-Stelle" of Longues-sur-Mer Battery became famous . It was also the location of the film "The Longest Day" when Pluskat saw the allied ships coming out of the fog on June 6 1944.

:unsure::unsure:

This LCI was not taking us on a Whale Watching Trip:-

RidetoBeach.jpg

This is where they dropped us and went back to their ship and England:-

OmahaBeachJune8.jpg

This is what the Krauts were planning to surprise and hurt us with:-

batterieLonguessurMer.jpg

Didn't matter we got up the hill anyway and then made them sorry for being Badies!!

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_37:

post-513-1207727849_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   WN65_bunker.jpg (Size: 51.61 KB / Downloads: 0)

James Hennessey - -87th Inf Div - Go Irish

Jim, thanks for this one. It's a beauty. :drinkin:

post-2-1218283817_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   GoIrish.jpg (Size: 67.64 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Here are two photos of Dick Fietz, 370th Combat Engineer, at this daughter's wedding this summer. Looking pretty handsome there buddy! :pdt20:

post-2-1218284861_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DickandDaughter.jpg (Size: 47.89 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Jim,

Love that photo of you in Notre Dame fan attire! 2 of my cousins are Notre Dame alum,

but I went to Boston College (go Eagles!).

I assume that Our Lady Of Grace is near the TV in order to lend her support to the Fighting Irish. I think that may be an unfair advantage Ha! :lol::D for the Irish!

mary ann

Here is a picture of my grandfather, his lovely bride, and me at their house in St. Petersburg, FL. It was in 1999 I believe. Fotunately they are together again, and this time eternally.

post-449-1218941692_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   GM_GP.jpg (Size: 239.42 KB / Downloads: 0)
Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Picture of Dad & his friend Jim taken when he was home on furlough, Oct `44.

Dad is on left

post-304-1218975831_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   dadandjim.jpg (Size: 41.19 KB / Downloads: 0)

Todd: Papa O'Brien (alias the Colonel) sure had a BIG, hearty smile. You know when I looked at that photo, I could still see the young man in the 540th. You can see the resemblance from the early photos.

That is the first time I've seen Mama O'Brien. They look like such a lovely and happy couple. That's a great pic of the three of you. One to treasure forever.

Larry: Bet they didn't want to go back...

Marion J Chard

"Larry: Bet they didn't want to go back..."

I bet they didn't , they left the US on 30 Nov and got back to 7th Army area in France on 23 Dec `44. cold...snow...Vosges mountains...major german offences .... you know they didn't

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  527 Light Pontoon Company, photos from Bud Pendergast Mark Pendergast 3 5,122 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: colinhotham
  More 36th Engineer photos - current Walt's Daughter 2 5,610 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Jim Davis - photos from the war Walt's Daughter 4 9,062 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Photos of our other veterans Walt's Daughter 4 8,656 01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Last Post: 206thmpco