photo of Normandy

Misha sent me this wonderful photo taken at the Normandy landings. He said,

This is one of most dramatic pictures about Normandy and my favorite.

It really gives you a great first person perspective from the landing craft. I can only imagine what was going through their heads. How scary!

Normandy.jpg

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

You can barely see the bluffs through the smoke and they had such a great distance to make it to the base of them, that its a miracle that any did. Truely a thought evoking picture. I have stood on the top of those bluffs and I can express nothing but astonishment for the victory there.

It must be something to stand on the bluffs and try with all your might to imagine what the day must have been like. The yards must have felt like miles... :unsure:

Marion J Chard

That is a wonderful photo. Did your friend Misha take this photo? It looks like a Capa original...But there were a lot of the best photographers there .If your friend took this photo that is just amazing. Capa did some of the most amamzing photographs duirng the landing and through so many other times of war. Thanks for sharing this one Cindy

No, it's just one of Misha's favorites. I am unsure who the photographer is. It would be interesting to note.

Marion J Chard

:pdt34: Hi all from Luxembourg,

yeah they had a long way to march on that beach without cover and no place to hide I don't know who took the picture but it wasn't Robert Capa.

Capa shot 106 photos on d-day but only 11 survived but read it yourself on this link http://www.skylighters.org/photos/robertcapa.html

Have a nice weekend you all.

Martin

:lol:

Once again you come through for us. Thanks for turning us onto that page. I plan on reading it in detail later tonight. I'm a real photography nut too. So when you add WWII and photography to the equation, you have me hooked.

I used to have my own darkroom in Detroit and loved developing B&W film. I still have all my equipment and who knows. I may get back into it again someday.

I thought I had The Skylighters link up on my Links Page, but alas, I don't. So thanks and I will add it tonight. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Martin I am sure you are right about this photo. I do know I have seen one similar actually the close ups like this all look sort of similar. I took History of Photography in a college course and we studied Capa so I know about the mishap with all the photos he took on D-day, but this one resembles his work minus the blur in the ones that survived his too eager lad assistant. I actually like the blur its shows the movement and the obvilous intensity , it almost gives you the sense of urgency in the photographs. He made a quote something to the effect If you arent close enough to the battle you wont get a good photo, now that isnt exactly how it goes but its close...I would look it up but I am just plain lazy tonite! Anyway it is a wonderful photograph. Cindy.

P.S. Thanks for the link!

Once again you come through for us. Thanks for turning us onto that page. I plan on reading it in detail later tonight. I'm a real photography nut too. So when you add WWII and photography to the equation, you have me hooked.

I used to have my own darkroom in Detroit and loved developing B&W film. I still have all my equipment and who knows. I may get back into it again someday.

I thought I had The Skylighters link up on my Links Page, but alas, I don't. So thanks and I will add it tonight. :pdt34:

Marion I have a darkroom too. I love black & white photos. I also took a course in color photography but it was kind of boring since a machine does most of the work you are very limited with the artistic aspects . There is so much more control in a black & white darkroom. I dont use mine like I should or as much as I would like to but I do when I can. I cant believe how much we have in common! Its great to learn about one another

Cindy

Oh my God Cindy, yet another link between the two of us. I guess we really were meant to meet. It seems that at least once a week or more now, I am wowed by yet another coincidence.

I just got a letter yesterday from a gentleman who lives here in Michigan and also got to meet Don Burgett. We have sent each other a few emails and are saying things like, "You won't believe what..." It is really uncanny at times.

I LOVE B&W. There is nothing else like it. I can't wait to get my darkroom setup again someday. It will be a while into the future, but it will always be one of my most satisfying hobbies. I used to spend hours in the darkroom and yes, developing B&W is an art. You get to control so much. I just love the dynamics. Color is color, but B&W is a whole different medium. B)

Well, off to bed. Am trying to nurse this cold and need a really good night's sleep. Yesterday I laid around and my hubby got me one of my fave movies again, A Bridge Too Far. So I watched that and old Combat reruns most of the day. Ah, what a way to recuperate! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remembering the 75th Anniversary of D-Day Normandy Walt's Daughter 3 5,625 06-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  Normandy D-Day Walt's Daughter 1 2,797 06-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Last Post: buk2112
  D-Day Normandy - 2017 Walt's Daughter 1 3,212 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Super transport photo - June 7, 1945 Walt's Daughter 2 4,302 05-28-2016, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Allied Infantrymen and military vehicles move inland from Normandy to Carentan sixgun 1 3,069 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Utah Beach Normandy 1944 sixgun 1 3,359 09-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Normandy Loves US...The Untold Story sixgun 0 2,528 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Incredible photos of tribute in sand - Normandy Walt's Daughter 1 3,593 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Normandy - The Airborne Invasion Of Fortress Europe sixgun 0 2,435 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  My short trip to Normandy last week. Frank Gubbels 10 9,754 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels