"The War"

'The War' is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com. Ordered mine today! ;)

Dogdaddy

We share your excitement! In fact Lee said to me this morning, "Honey let's talk to Rick about getting HBO for a month!" Rick is our local ISP/cable guy and is one of our very good friends. We have clout, so I'm sure we can get HBO temporarily! :drinkin::pdt12:
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

The weather is hot,the weather is cold.There will always be complainers.Like I always say

to vets-Be glad you came back alive.Like Ricky

Nelson says in his song Garden Party,You can't

Please Everyone so Please Yourself.So be glad we

made it back,with the will of God.

Jim H-87th-Inf.Div.

Well Amen to that. No you can't please everyone Jim. I know I will most certainly hear complaints when I finish writing my book. Someone will surely say, she should have included more infantry, or she should have more on the armored units, etc., etc. But my book will be on engineers, and a very specific group of engineers; VI CORPS.

So I will state now for all the world to see, my book will be based on my findings, and the vets I was so lucky to find. It won't be based on those who didn't participate, but to those who were willing to share their memories. It will be A PERSPECTIVE. It probably won't please everyone, but I sure hope it will please enough.

Heck, that is why we a litany of choices. If someone doesn't like my book, they can write one of their own. :pdt12: As long as my book is factual, well-researched, and well-written, then I can do no more! Here's to Ken and to all the heart and soul he put into everyone of his works, including this one.

There are thousands and thousands of other books, movies, documentaries, and more on WWII. There will be something to please almost everyone on the face of the earth.

When the movie Flags of Our Fathers came out, I actually heard people complain that the author didn't tell a more comprehensive story. Well duh! If they would have taken the time to read the intro, they would have found out that the story was supposed to be about his father and the small group of men who raised the flag. It wasn't meant to be anything else. It was ONE movie about Iwo, not THE movie on Iwo.

:direct:

Marion J Chard

I too am anxiously awaiting PBS' Sept 23rd broadcast.

You guys might want to download the viewers guide pdf on their website

for a more detailed view of the series (if you haven't already).

After he released The Civil War, I was able to get tickets to hear Ken Burns speak

at Salem State and actually got to talk with him afterwards. He certainly

is a very talented & interesting fellow and I was VERY excited when I heard

he was going to make this series. I'm always leery of political agendas, but

I think he may well be one of the few people who would do justice to a work of

this magnitude. I hope so. "Our" VI Corps fellows & especially the Mediterranean

Theater always seem to be ignored. People act like

the war didn't start till June 6th. Try telling THAT to the guys who were

at N. Africa, Salerno, Anzio, and Cassino! What do people think THAT was?

A walk in the park?

Anyway, I guess we all know what we'll be doing Sept 23rd.

Who'se bringin' the :drinkin: ?

I ain't makin' popcorn for all you guys, I'll tell you that right now! :pdt12:

mary ann

Thanks for your input above, Mary Ann. Especially the last part. For the 34th Inf. Divn.

the 109th Engineers the war started Nov. 7 1942. Book,"Dogfaces who Smiled---------"

last paragraph page 121 and 122. This was No.Africa and not knowing what was yet to come.

Movie "WAR", yes everyone has their own idea, After 14 hrs of it I will see the last

28 mins. of it....Roque,(Rocky) of the 135th

We share your excitement! In fact Lee said to me this morning, "Honey let's talk to Rick about getting HBO for a month!" Rick is our local ISP/cable guy and is one of our very good friends. We have clout, so I'm sure we can get HBO temporarily! :drinkin::pdt12:

Marion-

I think I got my stations mixed up when we were discussing these new documentaries! "The War" will be broadcast on PBS, not HBO as I might have said...However the new Spielberg/Hanks collaberation named "The Pacific" will be on HBO. I hope I have got these straight now :lol: This will be a good Fall on TV for WWII historians!

Dogdaddy :woof:

Thanks for clearing the confusion. :armata_PDT_23: I want to see both, but at least I don't have to pay for HBO until later in the season. :drinkin:
Marion J Chard

Part One TONIGHT, SEPT. 23RD @ 8PM ON PBS :armata_PDT_37:

Dogdaddy :woof:

Just got home from my trip. Right at 8:00 PM, and guess what? Our local cable guy has PBS messed up and we can't watch it. Dang it!!!! I can't believe this!!! :banghead:
Marion J Chard

:machinegun: the cable guy M2!!!

Watched it last night. It's brilliant. Events leading to the war and

the war as it unfolds. Pearl Harbor, Midway, Guadalcanal, the Bantan

Death march - Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo... He takes you WITHIN history using

real people as events unfold. It's stunning & devastating at the same time.

The enormity of the sacrifices made.... I still am somewhat speechless.

All I could think over & over was: Truly, this was indeed the Greatest Generation.

m2