"The War"

If this has already been mentioned pardon me. I am so exited after just reading that Ken Burns, who produced the award winning documentary on The Civil War is making another series...this time about WWII. The series will be 14 and a half hours in length, airing on PBS in September. After he finished making the Civil War in 1990 Mr. Burns vowed he was done making movies, but changed his mind because he felt there are too many kids in this generation that think that WWII was fought only by Germany against Russia. If any of you have seen his film "The Civil War" you will understand why I am so exited about this...can't wait! :armata_PDT_37:

Jim

I read about this in my grandad's WWII Chronicles magazine. It sounds good.

Brooke

P.S. How's Bailey?

I read about this in my grandad's WWII Chronicles magazine. It sounds good.

Brooke

P.S. How's Bailey?

Hello Brooke,

First, I need to correct myself in quoting Ken Burns in my last post. What he actually said was that there are too many graduating high school Seniors that believe that we teamed up with Germany to fight Russia in WWII. Scary isn't it?

Bailey is doing pretty good considering the circumstances, but there have been some peaks and valleys along the way. Kind of you to ask. :heartpump:

Jim

:armata_PDT_37: I am happy to hear about the series. Can't wait to watch it. Everything he does is Class A in my book.

Wow, Brooke and I are on the same page. I was just thinking about Bailey 20 minutes ago and vowed to write to you later today. Then I read this post and...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

:machinegun::machinegun:

This may be a little off the subject but in the town where my son lives

the school history book his sons were using has reduced WW II and the

Holocaust to two(2) paragraphs.

At that time, my son had a little over 12 years in the Guard and when he

questioned the teacher the answer he got was "that is all they need to know".

Two weeks later they were transferred to a private school.

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19:

PBS has posted a web page with teaser for the series. It's scheduled to aire next fall. Check it out

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

Quote from Sgt Leo...

This may be a little off the subject but in the town where my son lives

the school history book his sons were using has reduced WW II and the

Holocaust to two(2) paragraphs.

At that time, my son had a little over 12 years in the Guard and when he

questioned the teacher the answer he got was "that is all they need to know".

Two weeks later they were transferred to a private school.

Sgtleo :armata_PDT_19:

I want to add this from theLondon Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/e...icle1600686.ece

April 2, 2007

Schools drop Holocaust lessons to avoid offence

Alexandra Frean

Teachers are dropping controversial subjects such as the Holocaust and the Crusades from history lessons because they do not want to cause offence to children from certain races or religions, a report claims.

A lack of factual knowledge among some teachers, particularly in primary schools, is also leading to “shallow†lessons on emotive and difficult subjects, according to the study by the Historical Association.

The report, produced with funding from the Department for Education, said that where teachers and staff avoided emotive and controversial history, their motives were generally well intentioned.

“Staff may wish to avoid causing offence or appearing insensitive to individuals or groups in their classes. In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship,†it concluded.

However, it was concerned that this could lead to divisions within school, and that it might also put pupils off history.

It's no different is it? Welcome to Nazi Germany. Those who acquiesce are just as guilty as those who perpetrate harm against another. Shame on all! :armata_PDT_23:
Marion J Chard

PBS has posted a web page with teaser for the series. It's scheduled to aire next fall. Check it out

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

This post about the program scheduled for Sept. on PBS. Everyone that reads my quote, please

DO NOT TAKE IT WRONG, But the Hispanic Orgs. are going to boycott it. Marion I think I sent you something on this. The reason is that no Hispanic Vets. are mentioned or shown. They earned their share of M.O.H.'s The battles mentioned, I fall in that category. Having said this I feel a little better.

AGAIN, my apologies. Roque Riojas

I am trying to stay out of the controversy, but will post this here for Rocky. Everyone can read for him/herself.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1607980,00.html

As stated in the article though, they only interviewed 40 men out of all those who are still living, and that means many thousands and thousands of men.

Marion J Chard