CIB's being awarded to com engs

Took one yesr to receive response from DOD IG.

Thank you for your correspondence to the Department of Defense (DoD)

Hotline.

In order for the DoD Hotline to initiate an inquiry of any complaint

that we receive, it must be determined that:

* the matter concerns a violation of Federal law within the DoD's

investigative purview;

* the DoD has sufficient facts to initiate an inquiry;

* the DoD Hotline is the most appropriate agency to take action on

the complaint.

Based on a thorough review of the information provided, there does not

appear to be a sufficient basis for the DoD Hotline to initiate an

inquiry. Your request for reconsideration and submission of additional

information must be submitted to the Army at:

Awards and Decorations Branch - Policy

ATTN: AHRC-PDP-A

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue

Fort Knox, KY 40122

I appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention.

Sincerely,

Department of Defense Hotline

The above address is the office contacted previously. Their response was denial. I have contacted FOIA at Ft. Knox regarding the issue.

Robert

I am adding (with permission) a letter which Bill on the Hill sent to me a while back.

Hi, Marion...I have just spent about an hour reading commentary about the CIB. Thought I would tell you one of my experiences.

At the end of the War in Europe, I was sent to Division Rear to work up the points for my Company (Co. B, 312th Engr. Combat Battalion). Although I was trained as an Infantryman (combat ready in 13 weeks in 1943), I had become a Combat Engineer before going overseas with the 87th Infantry Division. In my initial baptism of fire in France I served as an Infantry Rifleman the very first day in combat. Also, I served as an Infantry Rifleman during several days during the last two weeks of the war.

At Division rear I went thru their chow line. Every food server was wearing the CIB. Several times I engaged one or more of those food servers in conversation and found out that most of them never even had to hit the ground with artillery shells raining in. My conversations with these men usually had a bit of humor in them...no arguments or disagreements. Personally, I knew that I was not eligible for the CIB and never questioned that. Based on my service record, in 1945 I applied for and received the EIB (Expert Infantry Badge).

You most likely are aware that there is a Combat Engineer Badge. It is not offcial and should not be worn on the uniform. Of course there is no formal award or cash involved. I wear the CEB on my VFW cap. It is too bad that they did not make it an official badge, with or without extra pay.

As for myself, I am quite satisfied that I was able and did perform on several occasions as an Infantryman, and felt that I was skilled in doing so. After the War, I was a Lt. Col. Battalion Commander in the ROTC, and that was an Infantry Battalion.

All the best, Bill on the Hill

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I can only say as somewhat of an outsider in this matter that I have a lot respect for Marion and others who are determined to right what appears to me to be a wrong. I know from my long association with her website that M1 has continually fought to ensure the award of the CIB goes to those who fought as infantry during WWII. The sadness in this is that the Combat Engineers veterans of WWII are a dwindling number and may not have lived long enough to collect their CIB. That is a travesty!! I wish all success in their quest.

Colin.

Thank you Colin for your input. It's just something that many of us feel very strongly about and with all good intentions and from the heart. It's great to have yet another person stand beside us on this issue.

God bless ya!

M1

Marion J Chard

Okay, here's another BIG feather in our caps! Read with interest, the letter which I received from Karrie this week. I've asked her to copy of the 1948 letter for us, so I can share with you.

Hi Marion,

How are you? I am well. Just wanted to let you know while cleaning in my cellar last night I came across a box which while rummaging in it I came across a discharge looking envelope. I almost shrugged it off thinking oh it's the same copy of his discharge paper, but something made me take a closer look. Well I opened it and I almost dropped the letter. It was a letter dated 1948 issuing my grandfather the CIB! We are now going to resubmit to have his discharge changed to correctly reflect what we have already known. I just had to share the news since you have stuck with me from the beginning.

Karrie :)

Marion J Chard

Hmmm, after looking over her grandfather's history, I see he also served with the 106th Inf Div, so.... Well, will have to wait and see what the document states. Will post as soon as I have it in my possession.

Marion J Chard

As you can see, this topic hasn't been addressed in over two years. I just want to make sure that people know that this is still an ongoing pursuit for many. I still think it merits further inquiry.

Marion J Chard

Dear Comrades

50 years ago on June 25, 1966 myself and 75 others of the Army's 1st Brigade 101st Abn Div, 326th Combat Engr Bn A Co. APO SF 96347 So. Viet Nam were awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge on Special Order Number 176 . I have the order that was sent to me after I was discharged confirming the award. See attached orders. Now for the story.

I was an inactive member of the VFW for years. Finally becoming active after I retired. A VFW friend had asked if I had received all the medals that I was due, I hadn't according to my DD214. He was our Service Officer and explained the procedure. So I sent a copy of my DD214 along with my copy of the orders for the CIB to the TACOM office in Philadelphia, PA (my request #A2NBJ2Z2Z5NXK). In approximately 4 weeks I received in the mail all the medals that were on my DD214 along with the Combat Infantryman Badge that I had orders for, that was not on my DD214. The reason that the CIB was not noted on my discharge was because I was discharged June 21, 1966 and the CIB orders were dated Jun 25, 1966.

OK, so now I have conformation of my war time medals and awards, time to get my DD214 corrected, right? I go through the process of sending all the information and document (this was done through our VA advocate in my area) to the Nat'l Personel Records Center in St. Lewis, Mo. I received their reply back, stating that they could not find the original orders, and explaining to me that my MOS (Combat Engr) did not qualify me or the others on the order for the Combat Infantryman Badge, therefore that award could not be entered on my DD214. I was told that I could appeal so that is where I'm at now.

I explained in my appeal doc (DD form 149) that the denial was an affront, to our war time service. Was this just a very cruel joke played on us by the US Army, and the 101st Airborne Div.? Myself and I'm sure all the others on that Special Order Number 176 were and are proud of our service and hold the Combat Infantryman Badge, THAT WE EARNED, very dear. It is a consent reminder of our proud service and of those that did not come home with us. I don't know if we will win, but for myself I will wear that little badge on my 101st ball cap and on my old uniform with pride, I have the orders for that award, regardless of what the "Army Review Boards Agency's" determination will be.

I hope there are forum members on here that wre on the same orders as I. Please feel free to contact me.

post-2597-0-75371300-1478268921_thumb.jpgpost-2597-0-88613300-1478268951_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   CIB order1lores.jpg (Size: 226.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   CIB order2lores.jpg (Size: 207.16 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hi. I'm happy that you shared your story (albeit sad and frustrating) with our forum members. As I stated to you in our private exchange, this is simply an effrontery to you, my father and so many other fine engineers who fought as infantrymen, but yet, not given credit for the CIBs that you so clearly earned.

My plea to the army board went as expected - they flat out said no!

As you can see, this topic of conversation has been going on for years here on the forum, and for decades preceding this website's existence. What can be done about it? I'm not certain, but we aren't by any means giving up hope, though I must admit, it seems fruitless.

One person even told me that my dad didn't earn his and that he must have picked it up on the battlefield. I about hit the ceiling. Wait, I think I did. What a blasphemous statement. It still incenses me to this day.

Marion J Chard

Marion,

There has been several if not many precedents set, I've read several in here. My hope is that a few of my fellow comrades listed on the orders might be members of this site, or know of others listed that the CIB was entered on their DD214. who knows? That guy that said that a about your father, was/is a jerk, and saying something like that only shows that that fool was never in combat, and should just shut his mouth.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Col Carl F Baswell awarded 2011 Gold deFleury Medal Walt's Daughter 3 5,104 08-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  36th Engs - Fort Bragg 1942 Yearbook Walt's Daughter 4 7,352 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
  Bob Feland & Cliff Duncan - 540th Combat Engs Walt's Daughter 2 4,512 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM
  HQ 2832 Engs (540th) Rhine River Crossing Walt's Daughter 1 3,397 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf