85th/540th Bridge Photos

Christmas presents come in all shapes and sizes, and this sure held true for me too yesterday when I received this email from Rod O'Barr:

Marion,

Don't know if you've seen this on my website or not, but these are photos of the second Rhine River bridge built by our fathers units. The sign clearly states that the 85th and the 540th were the units involved in constructing this bridge over the Rhine at Mannheim, Germany. The photos came from the French Ministry of Defense.

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Best Regards,

Rod O'Barr

These are great photos that show the one of the bridges that our dad's units worked on together. Aren't these sharp?

post-6-1166881442_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   GarDavbridgefrench1.jpg (Size: 55.43 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Second photo

post-6-1166881465_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   gardavfrench1.jpg (Size: 51.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Third photo

post-6-1166881486_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   ludwigshafenfrench1.jpg (Size: 38.5 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

I then got this email from Harold Whiting this morning. The subject of his email was SMALL WORLD. Indeed! Here is Harold's email:

Good morning:

Last night while looking over O'Barrs pictures I found some info. Not only did I come home through camp roosevelt but they came through Camp San Francisco. This camp was in the same area as camp roosevelt he mentions going to sassion france on pass.

Also you and I wondered how close the 540-th --36th -10th 85th. Guess what the 163rd part of the 1109th group. They helped to build the bridge across the Rhine 163rd AND 157th made up the 1109 group.

Picture 30 of O'Barrs tells of the 163rd c eng working together with these other engineer bn. I think it was Gantry diary that speaks of camp San Francisco. The 157 ©eng bn maintained that bridge at Worms after they left. This info is in the Major Davis part of my story The 157th also worked on the Danube with the O'Barrs.

Small World

HWhiting

Oh, Rod's site can be found here. There are hundreds of great photos. Rod was one of my earliest web contacts, and we have been sharing info for about two years. http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...oupid=89066&ck=

Marion J Chard

I also added several pages from Rod's site to my 540th Photo Page.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/photos540th.htm

Before I revamped my site, I used to have a slide show that included Rod's photos. It was one of those things that got overlooked when I created the new pages.

Marion J Chard

Marion: Yes, I recall the work of the 540th C.E.'s (who were attached to our 3td Inf Div)

at this time for the Rhine River crossing.. The Engineers brought up the aluminum boats

and paddles we used for our initial crossing and were repairing a bridge for getting the

tanks and T.D.'s across the Rhine while under heavy fire. Seems like the Anphibious Shermans did not fare well in their crossing and we sure needed some tank support after the crossing. Their quick work gave us tank support shortly. Each of the small

boats held a squad and were left at the bank where we crossed over.

Marion: Yes, I recall the work of the 540th C.E.'s (who were attached to our 3td Inf Div)

at this time for the Rhine River crossing.. The Engineers brought up the aluminum boats

and paddles we used for our initial crossing and were repairing a bridge for getting the

tanks and T.D.'s across the Rhine while under heavy fire. Seems like the Anphibious Shermans did not fare well in their crossing and we sure needed some tank support after the crossing. Their quick work gave us tank support shortly. Each of the small

boats held a squad and were left at the bank where we crossed over.

Joe I have wondered how the C.E. anchored those pontoons. I remenber going across one, I think it was the Arno River, it was in the PO Valley. All I can say is I stand and SALUTE THE COMBAT ENGINEERS. !!!! Roque

Joe have you read this?

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/doc...rch25-27001.pdf

Marion J Chard

Roque: No idea as how they were anchored. We just plain left the small boats and paddles on the far shore. Not our job to return them. Where we crossed was about

300 yds of Rhine River with quite a current. Seemed like 3 miles wide not the 300 yds

it was. Some boats did not make it over.

Marion: Yes I checked it out and quite true and pertinent.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,760 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ponton bridge remains found in the Rhine Christoph 1 3,002 11-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  photo of 343rd bridge over Durance River Walt's Daughter 11 11,320 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
  145th ECB photos and info 145ECB 2 3,882 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: 145ECB
  Looking for Danube pontoon photos! Walt's Daughter 0 2,125 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM
  284th photos - where were these taken Walt's Daughter 16 16,009 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
  Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945 Jeff B. 44 39,994 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM
  Paying homage to Capt John Fallon - No Bridge Too Far Walt's Daughter 0 2,827 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  Bridge Over the Rhine River - Vada - Goodwin's Engineers Walt's Daughter 4 5,227 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
  Beer Bridge Bonn Beuel, 237th Engineers Christoph 1 3,403 03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson