Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945

I have always been a history buff and am especially interested in the Great Depression and WW 11. I knew my Uncle George was killed in the war and from what Mom said he was killed on some bridge in Germany. You see I now know that my Uncle was a proud member of the 341st. Engineers General Sv Regt. Company A and helped build the AlCan highway. Once that project was finished he got to come home on leave before undergoing more training and being sent on to England. He came ashore in France at Normandy a couple of weeks after D-Day and was traped in the Battle of the Bulge for a time. At the time of his death he was helping make repairs to the Ludendorf Bridge at Remagen on March 17, 1945 when the bridge fell into the Rhine. His full name is was George N. Chandler from Texas he was a Tec 5 and his service no. was 38079495. His body is burried in Holland.

Just before Christmas last year I made contact with Mr. and Mrs Oberbeck. Mr. Oberbeck was a Captain and my Uncle George's Company Commander from Alaska to Germany. All I can say is wow. Mr. Oberbeck is 90 years young and as sharp as a tack. He and his wife are just great people and I have enjoyed our converstations.

If anyone has any information or would just like to chat I would be happy to hear or to help in any way.

Thanks for your time,

Parker

[/b][/color][/size][/font][/font]

This is what I found on the ABMC website about your uncle.

George N. Chandler

Technician Fifth Class, U.S. Army

Service # 38079495

341st Engineer General Service Regiment

Entered the Service from: Texas

Died: 17-Mar-45

Buried at: Plot K Row 19 Grave 6

Netherlands American Cemetery

Margraten, Netherlands

Awards: Bronze Star, Purple Heart

I am living about 10 kilometers away from the American cemetery. I visit it regularly and when I go again I will make a picture of his grave if you want and I will send it to you by e-mail.

Fantastic and a warm welcome to you Parker. Always nice to get to know something about another fantastic engineer.

I will let you know if I can find out anything else too.

Frank, thanks for your input too. :pdt34:

PS. Am going to move this post to the WWII Engineers section.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I found several references to the unit in my engineering book. I am going to scan them this afternoon and try and get them posted later today for ya! B)

Marion J Chard

Here we go. This is a 6 page PDF file. Hope you enjoy it! :pdt34:

341st_General_Service_Regiment.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   341st_General_Service_Regiment.pdf (Size: 1.42 MB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Try this man. I don't know if this is still current, but it's worth a try!

341st Engr's, Co 'D'

Mr. George W Hine

101 Mitsy Ln

Brownwood, TX 76802-2145

915-646-0045

Marion J Chard

Also try contacting NARA in College Park, Maryland. They have after-action reports etc. Let me know if you need any help with it.

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-p...park/index.html

Also contact the Army Corps of Engineers. Tell Michael Brodhead that I sent you. He's a really great man and the head of the history department.

http://www.hq.usace.army.mil/history/contact_us.htm

You may also want to contact my friend, Richard at WWII Connections.

http://www.ww2connections.com/pages/1/index.htm

This should be enough to get you off to a great start. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Well Parker; how do you lik them apples. Bet you didn't expect this kind of reception to your first post. Just goes to show you the kind of site Marion has. Your'e going to :heartpump: Marion as all of us do. And what can be said of those wonderful people in the Netherlands, keeping up the gravesites of fallen Americans.

Stick around pal; we're like moss, we'll gro on you.

WELCOME, :drinkin:

chucktoo

Frank Gubbels; YOU DESERVE A SALUTE FROM THIS DOGFACE FOR WHAT

YOU DO AND SO CLOSE TO THE CEMENTARY. AGAIN SALUTE.

Roque J.Riojas, in behalf of the 34th. Divn. Assoc.

Hi Parker; thanks for your reply.

Didn't take you long to find out about Marion and her site. You are going to see what a dynamo Mare is. For a shrimp she packs quite a whollup. I'm convinced she came down from a distant planet. If you can name me ONE other site where the moderator mixes in with the troops, as she does, let me know. You will see what I mean in short order. Papa Art & I have met her, and as you said in your mail to me"This woman IS real".

Your sentiment about those wonderful people OVER THERE in the Netherlands is not misplaced. They have been taking care of Papa Art's brother Robert's grave all these years. I too have wondered if we would do the same. Strange, isn't it, how we Americans find it difficult to help our neighbor across the street, but will go over seas and spill our blood for strangers who can't protect themselves, and then maligned by others for doing it. enough!

As for your other question; I am somewhat a vet. I enlisted in the AIR CORPS. was shifted into radio school when the need for air crews subsided. Went on to airborne radar and then when the war ended, was loaned out to the Signal Corps for shipboard radar. Who in turn loaned us to the Transportation Corps, where we went out as three man radar crews on troop ships bringing back GI's for separation, and on one occaision a large groop of Warbrides. Funny thing when it came time for our separation. Seeing as we had patches for Air Corps, Signal core, and Transportation Corps, we were given our choice of which branch we would like to be separated from.

I do a lot of gabbing on "shooting the breeze" and other Misc. sites. I leave the War sites to the ones who did the job.

Once again, I wish to welcome you. You will find a lot of friends here

chucktoo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,671 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ponton bridge remains found in the Rhine Christoph 1 2,972 11-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  photo of 343rd bridge over Durance River Walt's Daughter 11 11,247 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
  Paying homage to Capt John Fallon - No Bridge Too Far Walt's Daughter 0 2,803 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  Beachhead News June 3rd and 9th, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,215 03-06-2016, 11:10 AM
  Bridge Over the Rhine River - Vada - Goodwin's Engineers Walt's Daughter 4 5,185 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
  Beer Bridge Bonn Beuel, 237th Engineers Christoph 1 3,379 03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Help with identifying a bridge / location cincinnatikid 4 4,403 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,399 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  1885th Engineer Aviation Battlion "A camera trip thru March Field" puggy 1 2,733 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM