Maginot Line

Just wanted to let everyone know that my group is guiding a trip to a couple of Maginot Line Forts tomorrow. I have attached a flyer for you all to read. Will definetly post pictures after we return.

Any one out there been to a Maginot fort before. I know there are many I am only going to two.

Any stories would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

MAGINOT_LINE.doc

Attached Files
.doc   MAGINOT_LINE.doc (Size: 79.5 KB / Downloads: 0)

My dad's unit did reconnaisance and placed reinforcements in that area in January of 1945. Sure would like to see it one day.

I have NARA records for this time period. I am planning on sharing it all someday. Lots of docs to scan...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Hi-Guy

The 87th Inf.Div occupied

some of those Forts.Very early in Dec 1944. In fact I was the one asking for password,no response so I

fired my M1 first time at a

human being,he ran like hell

into the dakness.Too bad he

didn't know my criteria for

passwords.

Jim Hennessey-Co.E.-345-

87th-Inf.Div.

Here is a picture from Fort Hackenberg. Its near the little village of Veckring. This artillery casemate (Block 8) was the only one attacked by the Americans.

Story:

The men of the 90th Infantry Division were given the orders to take the fortification in the Hackenberg hills. The third battalion of the 357th Infantry Regiment was the first to arrive on the hights above Budling. Once there they were subjected to "the most intense concentration of artillary fire that the regiment had ever experienced". Some 97 shells fell in their area in the first 90 seconds. This fire was coming from block 8.

M10 destroyer tanks from A company of the 773rd Battalion, attached to the regiment were immediately deployed. Given the range they were deployed to their armored piercing shells were ineffective.

General Van Fleet, after hearing this news ordered the intervention of the 20 Corps heavy artillery. Their 203 and 240 mm howitzers were placed on the right bank of the Moselle near the Bailey bridge near Thionville. Their efforts were no more effective.

During this the Americans had lost eight men and 54 wounded. Finally the 354th Motorized Artillery Battalion was called forward using their 155 mm M12.

On 16 November 1944 the 155 mm self propelled gun was positioned 2,000 yards from block 8. At 1000 hrs the gun opened rapid fire. With its flat-trajectory fire yeilded devistating results. One after the other the side walls were pierced where the concrete was thinnist. The guns were silenced. The picture is of block 8 today. Still left as it was from 1944. Will post more if you would like.

Kyle

post-11-1154850740_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   DSC00123.JPG (Size: 594.03 KB / Downloads: 0)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Museum in Italy - Gothic Line and Mt. Altuzzo battle angatti 14 16,162 12-19-2017, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Gothic Line Maps Enrico 22 18,376 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  The Thin Red Line Walt's Daughter 1 78,008 12-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Cadetat6