97th Inf Div - 386th Reg - CO M - updated files Aug 2014

From a new friend - more on its way...

We have a total of three boxes about WWII in my garage I stumbled upon this summer containing records, personal stories of the men from 386th Regiment 97th division reunions. Rowland Bergstrom was a Clerk with Company M in the 386th Regiment 97th Division.

I have included a PDF of the Unit Journal and a photo of Lewis Conklin who's story is told in this journal. (Probably last picture ever taken of him)

I live in fear that our house will catch fire some day and these records would be lost.

Feel free to share with anyone interested. Many of these division's crossed paths during the war, but frankly really interseting reading... Like a novel..

Lewis picture inspired me to start scanning (when I flipped it over and read what was writen on the back).

Morning Reports 97 Mech Troop From: 250001 T0: 290400

Place: Rossbach, Czech

1500 Troop train and 1 Plat light tanks arrived at C.P. Received message from 3rd Platoon that they had been fired upon and requested an ambulance.

1630 CPL Conklin killed by enemy action, PFC Harris wounded and Pvt Burdy (Spelling) missing. Discontinue patrol against the enemy in the vicinity of Thonburnn, Czechoslovakia.

1730 26 EM and 1 Officer attached to troop – assault Plat 1930 3 EM and 1 Officer - Artillery observers.

0645 LT Walther and T/5 Noyes, T/5 Silver carried litter with CPL Conklin’s body out of woods where he was killed, they were supported by 6 EM with mortar and MG fire and small arms. ******************* BACK STORY ******************************

Corporal Lewis W. Conklin, on 25 April 1945, near Thonbrunn, Czechoslovakia, Corporal Conklin volunteered to guide a patrol being sent to rescue a wounded man from an area known to be under heavy enemy small arms and rocket fire from concealed positions. As the patrol approached the point where the casualty lay, Corporal Conklin observed an enemy soldier approaching but soon lost contact because of the heavily wooded terrain. In order to locate the enemy position, Corporal Conklin fearlessly and courageously exposed himself to enemy fire and was fired upon and killed after he located the enemy position and endeavored to point it out to his patrol leader.

post-2-0-33800200-1390514814_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   97th Cavalry Reconnaissance - Lewis Conklin - sm image.jpg (Size: 143.82 KB / Downloads: 1)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
97th Inf Div - 386th Reg - CO M - updated files Aug 2014 - by Walt's Daughter - 01-23-2014, 07:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Lt. Guy A. Ringbloom - 97th Infantry Division Walt's Daughter 9 14,121 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Last Post: rennog