Bill Jasper - 312th Eng - 87th Inf Div

This was sent to me by none other than our pal James Hennessey of the 87th Inf Div. He forwarded this letter to me from a gentleman named, William (Bill) Jasper. Jim put me in touch with Bill today and he informed me:

Marion...Glad that you liked the story. We were in Company B, 312th Engr.© Bn, 87th Infantry Div.

It was a bit thoughtless of me to not mention that.

Please let me know if you receive this. I am having BIG computer trouble.

All the best to you and yours.

--Bill Jasper, known in these parts as Bill on the Hill

It's great to meet yet another engineer. Always DEE-lighted to hear their stories and comments. Enjoy the letter. Oh the other gentleman he refers to (John and Jim), is John McAuliffe, also of the 87th Inf Div. Hugs, M

=============

John and Jim... Below is a birthday greeting from Remagne, Belgium. In early January, 1945, we (my squad of combat engineers) were in the Village of Remagne. I asked an 18-year-old girl, in French, if she had room for 13 men. She lived with her aged father. She gave us a fairly large room with a pot belly stove.

We stayed there for about a week, working mostly at nite. Her cousin would reconnoiter for us during the day and provide some excellent information, e.g. where road blocks were constructed which, of course, we would destroy. A couple of them were booby trapped, using U.S. 105 artillery shells. After the War I sent the young lady, Raymonda Simon, and her father several "care packages."

In 1963, on a trip around the world, I went back to the house and found that Raymonda got married and moved to another village. I went to see her and meet her husband (now deceased). Before leaving Remagne I found out that her brother and sister-in-law lived in the house next door. So I met them. Later those two moved to still another village, near Libramont. (Raymonda's brother also is now deceased.) Both husbands had been prisoners of the Germans for five years.

I have been back several times to visit all of the family members, eventually three generations. I held Raymonda's niece and nephew on my knees. Many years later I held their kids on my knees.

I happened to be there on my 70th birthday, and they had a nice party for me. All of us have a lot of photographic memories.

In December, 2004, I once again visited the family members. My son was with me, and he speaks fluent French. So we had an especially nice visit.

When I got home I received an e-mail message for Madam Marianne, a local school teacher in Remagne. The school adopted me, and we have had numerous communications during the last almost 2-1/2 years. At Christmas in 2005, they sent me large cardboard Christmas tree. It had a photo of the Madam and each of the children in the school. The tree hung from a series of six photos of scenes in Remagne. The photos on one side were in color, and on the other side of each photo was a black and white photo of the same scene, circa 1945. The school now has an American flag hanging in the classroom. For the record I will be 82 on June 3.

When my son and I were in Bastogne in December 2004, we met several new friends, and we continue to communicate with them via the Internet. I am sure that I will get at least three birthday cards this year from Remagne and other villages.

If you made it this far, I hope you got a kick out of this message.

One final comment. When I first met Raymonda's sister-in-law I drew an acorn on a piece of paper. She went to a drawer and pulled out a golden acorn shoulder patch. She said, "Souvenir, souvenir." She was nine years old in January, 1945.

You two have a good one. --Bill on the Hill

Be sure to look at the attachment. It is about the Sherman tank at McAuliffe Square. Hope it comes thru.

====================================

Subject: une pensée pour vous

En lisant le journal,une pensée pour vous.

Bien à vous et déjà bon anniversaire avec quelques jours d'avance.

madame Marianne &nbs p; école de Remagne &n bsp; (Belgique)

post-2-1180718915_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Bill_on_the_Hill.jpg (Size: 119.49 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Bill Jasper - 312th Eng - 87th Inf Div - by Walt's Daughter - 06-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signed dollar bill from Paul McGee - 540th Walt's Daughter 1 3,710 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  312th Engineer Combat Battalion, 87th Infantry Division militaria7 8 10,314 02-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Last Post: joedemadio
  Karl W. 'Bill' Jones - 81st Eng - capture at the Bulge Walt's Daughter 1 2,911 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  T/Sgt William Klesenski - 312th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,207 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
  Big Request - info on Bill Williams - WWII engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,591 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
  Orville O. "Bill" Munson, 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,210 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
  Memories of Buchenwald - Bill Jasper Walt's Daughter 0 2,623 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
  Bill Munson 48th combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 2,080 02-20-2007, 01:22 PM
  Trip set to meet Bill Vander Wall 540th Walt's Daughter 0 3,959 07-21-2005, 12:01 PM
  Bill Vanderwall 540th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 118,472 07-05-2005, 05:28 PM