Karl W. 'Bill' Jones - 81st Eng - capture at the Bulge

Recently after posing one of our forum questions to our vets (re dog-tags), Bill told me about his experience during the Bulge. Pretty scary stuff, especially considering how a few seconds of time can change the outcome of any event. Needless to say, happy Bill is still among us and was willing to share this with all of you. God bless ya!

Here was his answer regarding the re-issuance of dog-tags during the war:

YES, I WAS. MY ORIGINAL TAGS WERE TAKEN WHEN I WAS TAKEN PRISONER BY THE GERMANS....NOT ONLY MY TAGS BUT ALSO MY UNIFORM, BOOTS AND HELMET, ALL BUT MY UNDERWEAR....WHEN I GOT OUT, THEY WASN'T SURE WHO I WAS BUT THE US TOOK ME BACK ANYWAYS AND RE-ISSUED EVERYTHING

AFTER ABOUT A 3 MONTH WAIT. BILL

When I asked if I could share his story below, he wrote:

YES, YOU MAY SHARE, BUT IT ISN'T ANY DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS WHO WERE

IN THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE......BILL

Marion.....I was a member of the 81st. Combat Engineers attached to the 106 infantry Division. We landed just north of main landing and headed for the Rhine River where we were to put a Baily Bridge across. We got caught in the first push by the Germans wearing American uniforms at the Battle of the Bulge.

We fought until there were only seven of us left and we attempted to escape the area at night and try to get to Bastogne where the 101st. was. It was dark and we fell over a small cliff only to find Germans at the bottom. They stripped us and tied our hands behind our backs, put us down on our knees and started to kill us, one at a time, by shooting us in the head. My buddy was killed first i was second and the rifle misfired. The German soldier got mad and buried the barrel of the rifle in my head and that was the last i remembered until i woke up with my buddies draging me east into Germany. I never got any medical aid until we escaped a camp in Berlin near the end of the war. Not a very gallant story.....Bill

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

What a story.

I don't say good luck to my 10 year old when he is about to take a test. Nor do I wish anyone luck who is about to do something requiring effort for which they either did or did not prepare. War is not like that. You need to be prepared, and preparation and experience do a lot get you through combat. A lot of times, however, it really does come down to chance. Call it luck, karma, fortune, whatever - sometimes people’s luck just runs out. I recall the scene in Band of Brothers where the 88mm shell lands right in front of the two troopers and just fizzles. Some German guy back in the fatherland forgets to connect a couple of components in a fuse and you live; he does it right - you die. This sort of explains why fighting men have been such a superstitious lot since early times. Nothing else as serious is quite like it. There but for the Grace of God. . .

So to all of our friends in harm’s way today, I wish you good luck.

:14_1_107v:

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signed dollar bill from Paul McGee - 540th Walt's Daughter 1 3,641 11-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Battle of the Bulge stories by the 166th, 188th and 33rd Walt's Daughter 0 3,239 12-17-2014, 11:57 AM
  35th Engineers - Battle of the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 2,273 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
  The 275th Engineer Combat Battalion In the Bulge Walt's Daughter 0 3,356 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM
  Big Request - info on Bill Williams - WWII engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,524 01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
  Orville O. "Bill" Munson, 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,143 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM
  Bill Jasper - 312th Eng - 87th Inf Div Walt's Daughter 1 3,958 06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
  81st Combat Engineers jtruck 7 13,099 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
  Memories of Buchenwald - Bill Jasper Walt's Daughter 0 2,590 07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
  Photos From Karl Heinz Kline's Collection Walt's Daughter 0 2,185 05-16-2007, 05:48 PM