The 228th American Hospital.

The 228th Hospital main gate and an article from a US newspaper.

Hi

The Lodge house pictured inside the ornate fence is my home and i am really interested in any other stories about the 228th Hospital based in Haydon. All of the original buildings are gone and the site is now a very popular walk through to Sherborne. Only recently discovered Jean Treasure's book regarding the Hospital and it is absolutely fascinating.

Regards

Mark

Hi

The Lodge house pictured inside the ornate fence is my home and i am really interested in any other stories about the 228th Hospital based in Haydon. All of the original buildings are gone and the site is now a very popular walk through to Sherborne. Only recently discovered Jean Treasure's book regarding the Hospital and it is absolutely fascinating.

Regards

Mark

Hi

There is a plaque commemorating the 228th hospital in the Three Elms Pub which is just up the road (attached). They also have a full schematic of the hospital layout with some pictures from jean Treasure's book. They also serve a very good pint of cider so worth the short journey for more than one reason!

Still very interested in any other detail anyone has.

Regards

Mark

post-1400-0-00428600-1329838473_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   228th Plaque.JPG (Size: 924.77 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hi

There is a plaque commemorating the 228th hospital in the Three Elms Pub which is just up the road (attached). They also have a full schematic of the hospital layout with some pictures from jean Treasure's book. They also serve a very good pint of cider so worth the short journey for more than one reason!

Still very interested in any other detail anyone has.

Regards

Mark

Mark-

I was just up by your house a little over a month ago! My wife and I traveled to Sherborne to find the remains of the 228th Field Hospital. My grandfather was a driver assigned to the 228th from 1943-1945. We were actually in England to visit London, but we cut our time in the city short by a day to visit Sherborne. I made a picture book of what we found for my grandfather, and I bought him (and myself and my dad) a copy of Jean Treasure's book about the 228th--got it in the Sherborne Museum.

The whole thing was quite an adventure--first time I'd been to England. My grandfather was blown away by the picture book and Treasure's book on the unit. He's actually in the picture on the front cover--he has an original of that unit portrait. He'll be 91 in August and doesn't do much reading anymore besides the newspaper, but I think he read that book 4 times in the weekend I was there. Turns out that the soldier who was assigned as Ms. Treasure's driver--Maurice Whipp--was my grandfather's co-driver when they would drive outside the Sherborne/Haydon area.

I took a couple of pictures of your house--hope you don't mind!

Regards-

Greg

This is all so fascinating. Greg, loved to hear about your grandfather and the fact he read the book 4 times that weekend.

Thanks for your great letter. I know Colin and Mark will be so happy to read it.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you Greg and Mark for adding to the information about the 228th. I am pleased that my original post is still active and hope there may be more to learn.

Can I also say that if any other veterans or their families are visiting Sherborne please get in touch with me as I live fairly near and would like the chance to meet them.

Colin.

Hi guys, I am a freelance journalist based in SW England (Weston-super-Mare actually), setting out on researching this subject for an article in Britain At War magazine. I'd love to talk to anybody who knows anymore about this subject, and also looking for high-res photos that I can use with the article. My email, for anyone who would like to help me out with this, is: robinwhitlock1966@gmail.com

Thanks and best wishes

Robin Whitlock, UK

Hi and welcome. As far as high-res, so are few and far between. Most images we'd had the pleasure of seeing, are low-res photographs, and many aren't in great condition. While there are some great professional shots, most were taken by the soldiers themselves, so...

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Hello - My uncle was a lieutenant stationed from 1943 to 45 with the US Army Medical Air Corps at the 228th Station Hospital in Sherborne, England. He called his position the "chair corps" and upon returning home, became a college professor and died at age 93. I will be visiting England in 2024 and have been looking over his scrapbook of his time in England. He had some photographs of the camp and fellow service members and a few postcards although there is scant information on actual events at the camp. I do have a copy of the camp newsletter he edited. I'd love to get a copy of the booklet about the 228th Station Hospital by Jean Treasure or find out more about what it contains. Is it still for sale locally in the Sherborne area? I've had no response to inquiries in the area. Thank you. Anne in Rhode Island