Helmet For My Pillow

I don't remember who recommended this book, but I've just finished reading it.

It's an autobiography of Robert "Lucky" Leckie's serivce in the Marine Corp during Guadual Canal and Peleliu and all the hum drum in between. There were some serious parts and funny ones, too. It really kept my interest during the whole thing, he has an unusual writing style in that he doesn't refer to anyone by name but rather a name he's assigned to them, for instance here's a short blurb:

"In front of me marched No-Behind. He was a tall, slender, noisy fellow from Michigan who was oddly capable of exasperating anyone in H Company merely by marching in front of him. It was an odd affliction in that it was no affliction: No-Behind actually seemd not to have a behind. ...

This day, as we passed with fixed bayonets through the kunai toward the line of wood beyond which a round red sun had fallen, Corporal Smoothface marched behind No-Behind. Smoothface was drunk on the last of the sake. He seemed to be babbling happily enough when suddenly, with a crazy yell, he lowered his rifle and drove the bayonet at No-Behind."

As the author described later the insufficiency in the "target area" saved No-Behind and he was unhurt.

Brooke

Love the descriptions! :pdt12:

No-Behind

Smoothface

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Ome of the best books written by a marine after the war, He has written many other books about the war and all are great reading. On a personal note I was called Babyface my entire time in the marines.

Oh my, guess what I'm gonna call you from now on? :D:lol:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Lt. Big Picture, Souviners, Oakstump, the Artist, the Hoosier, Chuckler, Runner, to name a few I can remember.

rw, is there anything you HAVEN'T read? ;)

Brooke

There are 100's of books I have not read , but hope to. Instead of watching t.v. I spend my few time reading. I started reading books about WW2 when I was 12 years old and excepted for the time I was in the Marine Corps when I never read a single book thats 39 years of reading so yes I've read a lot of books. Right now I'm reading Our War For The World a memior by Brendan Phibbs who served as a combat surgeon with the 12th armored division and to be honest I am not enjoying it at all. But thats just me others might fine it engrossing. I just don't like the writing style of the author.