Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945

That is so wonderful to hear. You know, I've wondered about that before; if certain people mistrusted my motives. Maybe a daughter thought I wanted something from her father? Maybe to be left something in a will. Maybe a wife thought, what is this woman truly after? And you know what, that is okay, for you have to be a bit leery to get through this world. :pdt:

I am alright with the internet. It's not a bad place, but like anything else in the world, it can be. I always tell people, you are going to run into a bad teacher, a not so impressive accountant, a terrible doctor or a scoundrel of an automotive repairman, etc. at least once in your life. The world is filled with good and bad, you just have to be wise and be on your toes. Without the internet, I would have never discovered all I know about my father and I would never have met all the wonderful veterans, nor have all the connections I do today. You and I would have never had to the chance to know each other and...

I know I am getting slightly off topic here, but earlier this year I was contacted by a daughter of a veteran who passed away. I had known him for years and we were very close, but I had never met his daughter. I knew he had several children, but he didn't bring them up much. However I was friends with his wife.

When I first met him he told me that his kid's weren't all that interested in his WWII history. Well unfortunately, it is not that unusual as we all know by now. Sad, but true. And that is one of the reasons he and I grew so close. He was so happy and so pleased that I was sharing his memoirs and taking an interest in him.

Anyhow, after he passed, I received a letter from his daughter, stating that she thought it unfair that I had his photos, stories, etc., and she wanted me to return them. She stated that any items I had belonged to her son. As you can imagine I was quite upset and yes, even angry. Here was someone that popped her head out after nine years and was making demands. Had she even seen his page while he was alive. From the sounds of her letter, I do not think she even knew about it, but only discovered it by going through correspondence after he died. I did not answer right away, for I knew I might say something that I shouldn't. So I waited until I had a chance to think.

I finally composed a very nice email and explained that any information he shared with me, he shared with the world and she and her family were free to download any items, including his entire story. I explained that we developed a very close relationship over a nine year period and that he freely chose to share certain things with me out of love, friendship and respect. I kept it short and sweet. I wanted to say, "where the hell have you been all this time, little missy", but you know I would never do anything like that.

I did hear back from her about a week later and she backed down. She thanked me for writing back to her and said they would access his page and her son could share it at school, etc.

I never said anything to the wife, for I know she would have been angry with her daughter. I didn't need to.

However, I did consult with several of my colleagues who also share veteran's stories and take them under their wings, and several of them divulged that they had undergone similar situations. They all told me, don't you dare give anything back, for HE wanted you to have these things. If he wanted his daughter to have them, he would have given them to her. He trusted you and you had a very special relationship. He gave you everything out of love and respect and all your correspondence is a treasure. It's YOURS!

Anyway, wanted to share that with you. It was the first time I had ever run into that type of thing.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945 - by chucktoo1926 - 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945 - by chucktoo1926 - 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Remagen-Ludendorf Bridge March 17, 1945 - by Walt's Daughter - 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Info on 1017th Treadway Bridge Co Walt's Daughter 6 9,856 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Ponton bridge remains found in the Rhine Christoph 1 3,040 11-01-2018, 04:47 PM
  photo of 343rd bridge over Durance River Walt's Daughter 11 11,460 08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
  Paying homage to Capt John Fallon - No Bridge Too Far Walt's Daughter 0 2,853 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM
  Beachhead News June 3rd and 9th, 1945 Walt's Daughter 0 2,253 03-06-2016, 11:10 AM
  Bridge Over the Rhine River - Vada - Goodwin's Engineers Walt's Daughter 4 5,300 02-23-2016, 10:54 AM
  Beer Bridge Bonn Beuel, 237th Engineers Christoph 1 3,439 03-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Jean Jacobson
  Help with identifying a bridge / location cincinnatikid 4 4,508 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM
  General Moses and the Pontoon Bridge Walt's Daughter 2 4,495 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
  1885th Engineer Aviation Battlion "A camera trip thru March Field" puggy 1 2,782 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM