284th Engineers

John McAuliffe sent this to me:

--------

Dear Marion:

Clarance A. Bachand of the 284th Combat Engineers writes:

Seen here is the longest Bailey Bridge in the ETO(294ft.).

It was constructed across the Roer River at Winden , Germany

March 4-5 in 19 hours. by "C" Company 284th Cmbt Engrs.

under moderate artillery fire.The principle of "breaking" the bridge

was used here for the first time in combat; that is; the use of intermediate supports.

Clarance A. Bachand

Charlton, MA

post-6-1142296974_thumb.jpg

9-8-2017 Wish I could retrieve this photo. I will try. Marion

Attached Files
.jpg   284th_Bridges.JPG (Size: 29.97 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Mikel:

Posting this here for you. Got your email tonight. Welcome to the forum. You wanted to know if I am in contact with Clarence. I can write to John and see if he is still in touch with Clarence.

Marion J Chard

Thanks Marion!

Another grandson of the 284th managed to find Clarence. They had a good conversation this morning and he will be heading out to visit with him tomorrow! There are three still alive from the unit and they have a reunion every year. We're going to attempt to attend it this year!

I have many many photographs from C Company 284th that I'd love to share for your gallery. Steve also has many of his grandfather's photographs and we will see what we can possibly scan from Clarence's collection.

Mikel

Mikel:

What grand news! Happy to hear all this. And yes, would love to upload the photos to our gallery. Let me know.

Can't wait to hear what transpires with the visit. :pdt12: :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

I spend a hour talking to Clarence on the phone last night! It was great to talk to him and we are planning to get together later this month! When I first found this site I was baffled that the images posted in this thread are images that I have the originals too! Well, after speaking with Clarence last night the mystery is solved! My dad sent him a ton of stuff from the war many years ago. Including all the negatives of the images that he took!

I imagine that he has many images that I don't have (I seem to remember seeing some pictures when I was a kid that aren't in the pile anymore) so hopefully he can find the negatives and I can get brand spanking new fresh (and probably higher resolution) prints of them! Its so exciting!

Fantastic.So glad you were able to touch base. So pleased to hear all this. Can't wait to hear what transpires next. Keep me in the loop!

Marion J Chard

Hi! Sorry that I've been a bit MIA in this thread. I just wanted to update you to let you know I'm currently working on 284thcombatengineers.com! It is slowly coming online. I only really have information on C company (I do have rosters for the other companies though) so if anyone can give me information / images / documents on the others companies that would be great! The site is still in its early stages but I'm happy with the progress so I hope that people come to visit it!

Great news. Always glad to hear there will be yet another engineer site online. :waving:

Marion J Chard

Yeah, I figured that since the information on the 284th was so scattered that it would be a good idea to consolidate it into one location :) I did give myself lots of work to do though! :)

Oh do I know THAT feeling? When I started off I thought, well do a bit of research and...

Well, here I am nine years later and I am busier than ever.

Good luck and thanks for your perseverance! Going to look right now.

http://284thcombatengineers.com/

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  284th photos - where were these taken Walt's Daughter 16 15,617 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  special service engineers & rail engineers Ron Nash 17 586,595 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter