A great day with Don Burgett

If I wasn't so darn tired tonight, I would tell you all about my day yesterday, but that will have to wait until tomorrow when I have more energy and feel like giving you all the details. But, I will let you see a photo. Let's just say it's a sneak preview of the awesome time that Art Morneweck and I had. We had the honor and privilege of spending the morning with a truly great man, Don Burgett and his very sweet wife, Twyla.

DonBandMarion.jpg

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Great Story

Art

Okay another tidbit... Here is a picture of "Papa Art" and Don Burgett. So happy that these two gentlemen could get together and discuss Robert. What a day!!

ArtandDon.jpg

Marion J Chard

Okay, kept you waiting long enough. I will now tell you the REST OF THE STORY!! Okay, at least part of it.

It all began with my attempt in helping "Papa" Art Morneweck in search for more info on his brother's death crossing the Rhine. I had gone to Dick Winter's Forum and posted a message and Frank Gubbels suggested a good source for info on the 506th, Co A. He said to read Don Burgett's book, Across the Rhine. So I ordered the book on Amazon.com and got it a few days later.

In the interim I wrote to Papa and told him about the book. I asked if he had read it. He wrote back and sent two letters that he had received last year; one from Donald Straith and yes, one from Don Burgett, both of the 101st, 506th, Co A. I then added their letters to Robert Morneweck's page. I thought to myself, what a small world.

Here's where the fun starts. Papa Art calls me up on the phone a few days later and says, Don Burgett wants us to come over on the 16th of December (yes, the 60th Anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge) and meet him at this house. Can you go? Huh and what? Can you repeat that?? Art says, bring your book, he will sign it for you.

So, on the 16th I drive down to Novi, MI (where Art lives) and from there we drive out to the "country" and arrive at Don's house. As you can well imagine, I was pretty nervous. Well there was no need to be because we were warmly welcomed by Don and his very sweet wife Twyla. They were both very gracious hosts. We sat around their kitchen table and drank coffee and looked out in the woods at a herd of deer. It was beautiful site to see.

Well over the next three hours of so we talked about the house he built, their children and grandchildren, the Battle of the Bulge, Stephen Ambrose, Tom Hanks and the Band of Brothers, and so much more. If you've read any of his four books, then you know what a good writer he is. In person he is a great talker and we could have stayed all day and listened to his stories.

He has a phenomenal memory and his wife says he doesn't forget ANYTHING. ;) Art asked Don if he kept a diary. Nope, it's just all in his head.

Art asked him about the day that Robert died and Don told him about crossing the Rhine to Himmelgiest. They were sent across in boats and were supposed to be a "lure" for the Germans. Patton's several attempts to enter the area were always thwarted and members of Co A were to try and entice the enemy to attack them and therefore open a door for Patton's Army.

Well the attempt was successful, but not without loss of life and injury. Four men died in Himmelgiest and their bodies were later retrieved by some of the men from Co A. On April 12th they re-crossed the Rhine and this is where Robert lost his life. The Germans were firing at the 506th as they attempted to get to the other side. The river at this point was a mile across, the current swift, plus it was night. Somehow some of the boats overturned and several men drowned in the chilly waters. Don is not sure if it was due to overcrowding or if a shell has landed very near some of the rafts. Though the men tried to help their brothers, nothing could be done. A few days later a couple of the bodies turned up on shore quite a ways from the crossing.

I asked him if he still had his nickel-plated .45 and he sure does. He said he could have lost it very easily when he was injured and in the hospital, but a very kindly doctor (and against regulations) let him keep it. He had told the doctor how important is was to him and when he awoke he felt something slip down his side. It was his cherished 45. He was a very happy man.

We got to see the shadowbox with all this medals and ribbons. What an impressive site that was. The photos are in the previous posts, and show Don and I and Don and Art, with his medals in the background.

I taped most of the time we were there and am so glad I did. I listened to about half of it while lying in bed last night. I was worried the tape wouldn't turn out. You know how that goes! But it came out a-okay. I plan on creating a page for him on my site, but won't publish it until I get his approval. He is a stickler for the truth and detail, and I want to make sure that everything I put in writing gets the BIG OKAY! I wish more people had his regard for the truth. He is a man of great integrity. What an honor. My head is still reeling.

There is one more story that I want to share tonight and it regards the fantastic portrait that hangs in his living room. He was at the VA hospital and there were several lines with about 15 men in each. He happened to look over and saw a line with only one man it. He walked over and then a wonderful thing transpired. The man looked at Don's jacket and saw that he was part of the 101st. The man said his brother was too, but he had died and he and the family knew nothing except for the telegram they received 60 years ago. He didn't know what company his brother was in. So Don asked what his brother's name was and when the man said it, Don was taken back because the man's brother happened to be next to Don when he died. They were setting up a machine gun when a bullet struck the man in the head and killed him. Had Don not decided to wear his jacket that day, this event would have never transpired. The man he met that day wound up painting his portrait (he's also blind in one eye) and this is how it holds a place of honor on his wall. What a story huh? Another one of those that gives you goose bumps.

Don also signed our books and mine will be set in a place of honor. I am now an "honorary" member of the 101st Airborne. Thank God it's honorary, I could never jump out of a plane... :bluejumper: I like my feet on the ground.

Here's a few more pictures for you. I have more to tell regarding the day, but it will have to wait. I am pretty "typed-out" for the day.

Don's Portrait

DonsPortrait.jpg

Don's wife Twyla

Twyla.jpg

Marion J Chard

Great story, Marion! And thanks for keeping me up to date. I am especially pleased to see what Papa looks like! :)

Thanks for the story and the pictures. This moust have been one great day! I know I wish I was there. :)

Oh! And thanks for the welcome!

All the best

(Buck Pvt. :clappin: ) Stevin

Mare; Right about now, you are about 15ft tall and growing. is there anything you can't or won't do.

Mare; I don't mean to embaress you, but After meeting you in person with Art (cadetat6) MY FRIEND and as you refer to as PAPA, your emails to me, and your superior Web site, I see a shooting star. Of all the Forums on the Net, pertaining to VETS, yours is so far above the rest. You inject a warmth into every thing or every one, you come in contact with. I read your articles and I sense The great love you have for your father, and warmth for all Vets, VIth corps ETC.

If I were your age I would do my best to take you away from Lee. But, I'm afraid he would put up too much of a fight. DADDIES LITTLE GIRL IS ON THE RISE. And if some of you don't understand what I am talking about, go back and read her coments or stories again.

I'm sorry Mare, If I go on any further, I'm afraid I WILL Embaress both you and me.

Let me just say; After PAPA buys your 1st book, let me be the 2nd.

Another one of the clean old men

chucktoo

Just you wait n see----All I've said will come true

D--it Chuck, no fair making me cry. But I guess I'm a bit emotional this week, so it probably doesn't take much. I don't know what to say back. Duh, I'm speechless. I guess I just do what I love and if it shows, all the better.

This project for my dad has been a life long obssession. That I was able to get this far is beyong my wildest dreams. That I was able to meet all you here is also an honor. My husband is blown away with all the folks I've met and the info I've aquired. He tells his friends and family, you won't believe what my wife has done this year and what people are willing to tell her and share with her. As "Papa" says, "I dunno!" I just do what I do. Shucks.

I guess the only thing I can tell you and everyone is if you take on something, take it on with all your heart. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The old adage still rings true.

Okay my chance to say THANKS TO ALL OF YOU who are reading this. I am happy that you are here, more than I can say. You are all now part of my new family. Dad would just love it. He was a PEOPLE person (mon Dieu) to say the least. So I guess I got that gene from him.

I just try to go like a bat out of hell because I realize my time is running out to get all these stories. All you great guys (and gals) from WWII are getting older, so I run around like a chicken with her head cut-off to get all I can today. How I wish I had this opportunity years ago, but of course it wasn't there. I LOVE THE INTERNET.

Oh, look you got me started. Gotta run. Lots to do today. Love ya bunches. :heartpump:

Marion J Chard

Hi Sweety,

2005 wll be better than 2004 so grab the wheel ,your going to have great time.

You will feel like you are in Jack's garage elevator.and it will not stop going up.

(adopted father knows all) papa

Well because of mother nature :angry: , I was unable to have lunch with the Michigan chapter of the 101st Airborne yesterday. But, there is good news; Papa Art was still able to go. It is not too far from his house, so the weather was not a major deterrent.

He had a great time and I'm sure he'll jump in this forum this morning and tell us all about it. Huh Papa, huh??? :P

We got invited back next month, so all is not lost for me. The opportunity is still there. :D

Marion J Chard

So sorry to hear that you missed making the trip. Better luck next time. But Marion, either way you gotta consider yourself fortunate. Not only have you met Donald Burgett once and been to his home, but you have an invitation to do it again! I would so love to be able to tell him, face to face, how very much I have enjoyed reading his books. So what's a little snow? Snow comes and goes. We don't have snow out here but ye gads! consider the commute! I think you're doing okay.

BTW, your web site is looking better than ever. - Marilyn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great Photos 3_7_I_Recon 4 5,404 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Great PBS links - Secrets of the Dead! Walt's Daughter 0 1,828 05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Great weapons site Walt's Daughter 9 7,669 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Dogdaddy
  Wouldnt it be great IF twobisquit 5 4,969 01-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Last Post: chucktoo1926
  REG INTERVIEWS DON BURGETT Cadetat6 2 2,894 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Last Post: j3rdinf
  The great tank battle of Kursk! Walt's Daughter 0 2,199 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
  The hotdog vendors - Great vets! Walt's Daughter 5 5,092 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
  Great links rudolph arruda 3 4,204 06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Last Post: rennog
  Don Burgett folds flag Walt's Daughter 3 3,810 06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Last Post: rennog
  Joe - Great article on the 3rd Inf Div Walt's Daughter 11 8,414 04-25-2006, 09:36 PM