C & K rations

Cant help but wonder how many other WW 2 vets recieved a short note enclosed in a

C ration package or a K ration package from one of the packagers. I still wonder just how they got it enclosed. They were almost like a letter from home. Didnt get many but got a few in ETO in WW 2. Always thanking us. Allways wish I kept one or two as

keepsakes. Even these short notes meant a lot till letters from home came. It was really nice of them to do that.

I would love to see one of those two. Hey if anyone out there has an original, can you copy it and place it on the site? Will have to do some searching. That is a pretty neat thing. Must have been a real surprise the first time you saw one. :)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I read an article in a magazine a few months ago and a lady had wrote in that worked in a factory, I don't remember what they were packaging but said that her and many of the women working there would write notes like that and put them into the boxes.

Brooke

Hope you stumble upon it again Brooke.

Marion J Chard

I'm sure I still have it, I believe it was in a Reminisce or Reminisce Extra magazine. I haven't thrown any of them away this year. If I find it again, I'll scan and post it.

Brooke

Excellent!

Marion J Chard

I found the article, I had to email the company and ask them and they replied today and told me where to find it. It isn't quite how I remember, but here it is:

Click on the box in the lower right corner that expands the photo.

post-11-1137719064_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Reminisce_article.jpg (Size: 238.77 KB / Downloads: 0)

I would love to see one of those two. Hey if anyone out there has an original, can you copy it and place it on the site? Will have to do some searching. That is a pretty neat thing. Must have been a real surprise the first time you saw one. :)

:coffee: j3rdinf; We didn't get many k's only till late '44. We had nothing but C rations.

Up in the mts. we melted snow for coffee my buddy carried the coleman

stove and we carried an extra canteen that had GAS. Of course it was marked.

Our supplies came up by mule train. Ammo,grenades,rations, T/PPR. And no

I never heard of someone getting a note in the K'sbox. Just the pack of cigs.

5 chesterfields. Joe, just got a call this pm. Gotta go to a hall (A>G>I>F)

to get interviewed by some state rep! Why me? Ketch me later. Roque

I found the article, I had to email the company and ask them and they replied today and told me where to find it. It isn't quite how I remember, but here it is:

Click on the box in the lower right corner that expands the photo.

What a great story. Love it, love it. I am so glad that you found that and were even able to give us photos. B)

Man, I've missed a lot of posts since my mom passed on. I am trying to catch up with all the fantastic things you guys have been posting in the last week and half.

Looking forward to more on rations and notes...

Marion J Chard

Roque old friend: Far as I reolect on K rations. Breakfast: Coffe packet, sugar, fruit bar, crackers, cigarettes (6?) some kind of meat, possibly with chopped eggs. Lunch:

can of cheese, crackers, candy or gum, cigarettes, lemon powder (ugh) matches in each ration,.. Supper can of meat, crackers, cigarettes, bullion powder, choclate bar?.

Its best I can remember. One of them had toilet tissue in it, forget which. Maybe you can add to it from memory. Hope I answered your question. One of them, either the K or C rations or maybe both also had water purifying tabs in it. Been over 60 years ago.

Seems to me, the earlier C ration breakfast had a decent tin of powdered coffee in it with sugar packets which would really open ones eyes if you could heat it in a canteen cup.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US Rations WWII sixgun 0 1,837 11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Last Post: sixgun
  Oficers liquor rations in ww 2 twobisquit 6 7,826 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Last Post: alkincer