316th Engineer Combat Battalion

316th Engineer Combat Battalion (Arno through Winter Static Phase)

The 91st Division entered the line again on 10 September at Pratolino, a few miles above Florence on Highway#65. The 316th Engineer Combat Battalion supported the advance by work on Route 365. From Pratolino to S. Pietro, the engineers had to repair twenty-seven craters. There was no opportunity to learn how the infantry was advancing along the heights beside the road, so division reconnaissance units travelled the highway with the advance engineer vehicles, providing them with security. The leaders pushed aggressively, and the progress was rapid.

When the division broke into the Sieve Valley at S.Pietro and Caffagiolo, it confronted the Gothic Line. On 13 September, the dividion began to attack, and as it moved forward, the 316th built jeep and mule trails up the mountain sides. Each night work parties went forward to breach the minefields and push the small roads further up the cliffs. As Futa Pass was approached, the engineer problems were mostly abatis and numerous craters.

Just before the pass was reached a tall bridge ws blown and a Bailey bridge was installed. Next a crater was filled at the pass, and then the 316th was across the divide and past the main Gothic Line defenses.

Highway #65 remained the responsibility of the 316th Engineers. To supply the division troops, lateral roads were dozed from the highway and up into the hills. Then, as the rains came in September, mud entered the picture. Vehicles were road bound: roads became impassable. Even the hard-surfaced Highway #65 became difficult to travel. A dry weather crater, requiring perhaps one platoon-hour to fill. became a monumental task to ppen and maintain during the wet weather. The dearth of gravel was heart-rending. Houses were continully bulled down for rock.

So it went. Up over Radicosa Pass, past La Posta, and Filigare, to Monghidoro. At Monghidoro, the 316th changed the road policy from one of immediate one-way traffic at all costs, to one of permanence and minimum maintenance. The advantage from monghidoro through Idvergnano during the first half of October presented many obstacles. Forty craters were filled, three road blocks removed, nine culverts installed and thirteen bypasses constructed.

In the days following the occupation of Livergnnao, the new missions for the engineers decreased in ratio to the decreases in new ground taken. After the roads to the front were opened and the lateral trails cleared and swept, more men and time became available fo improving the route which had already been hurriedly opened as the division had moved north. The engineers now returned to widen and imporve thesee roads for two-way, heavier traffic.

On 22 October, the 316th began to aid in the erection of defense fortifications for the infantry. As a static phase was entered, barbed wire obstacles, mines, and cratering charges were used, so that only a minimum number of foot troops would be required to be on the line at one time. Anti-personnel mines were laid before the infantry posisitons, as well as concertinas.

On the highway north of Idvergnano, the 316th combat Battalion had filled a crater blown by the retreating Germans. Now, in defensive positions, the americans returned and placed their own cratering charges in the same spot. This defensive mission of strengthening and improving the positons was not finished until November. In the latter part of that moneht, the battalion wehnt back to Montecatini and Pistoia for its first complete rest since entering the lines in July.

The unit was back on the line in the Highway #65 sector the first week in December. Time was spent checking the cratering charges placed earlier, and maintaining the roads, as well as improving living condidtions as much as possible. Three caves in rock cliff in the Sabbioni area were turned into "barracks" complete with double bunks. Doors were made of scrap wood and materials salvaged from shelled buildings. Other men built "bungalows" from scrap wood, sandbags and shelter halves. But most outstanding was a 60-foot by 30-foot mess hall, which was made from several thousand sand-filled 105 mm howitser shell cases. At night, the mess hall was used as a t heater for the enigneer troops.

Extensive reconnaissance work was done in December for the planned offencive, and engineer plans were made. After an extra heavy shelling of the bivouac area on 16 Decemb in which the mine and explosive dump was hit, the battalion evacuated the area and headquarters was reestablished in the town of Monghidoro. Defensive work was the main task in January.

The 91st moved east into the Idice sector, to replace the 34th Division in February, and once again road maintenance had to be stressed, especially as the warm weather brought back the problem of mud. The Roads gradually became greatly improved--the warmer, drier weather of late February and March hastened the process.

In about mid-March, the 91st Division was relieved of the Idice sector byan Italian group, and the 316th Engineers set up bivouacs on teh Sieve River a short distance off Highway #65 to take bridge training, instruct the infantry in mine warfare, andgenerally prepare for the spring offensive. After two weeks, the 91st Division beagan moving back into its position in teh sector straddling Highway #65.

post-6-1138470767_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   316th_Eng._Bn._hooch.jpg (Size: 56.99 KB / Downloads: 0)

Some more on the 316th Engineer Combat Battalion. Extracted from Appendicies, Eng. History, Med Theater, Fifth Army.

The 316th Engineer COmbat Battalion was activated on 15 August 1942 at Camp White, Oregon, as part of the 91st Infantry Division. Its officer cadre had come from the Engineer School, Fort Belvoir, VA. Where it had been assembled from various units. The enlisted cadre came from the 8th Engineer Squadron, 1st Cavalry Division, at Fort Bliss, Texas. The battalion trained at Camp White until it departed on 1 September 1943 to participate in the IV Corps maneuvers in eastern Oregon. Following the maneuvers, the organization returned to garrison at Camp Adair, Oregon, refitting and training until alerted on 20 January 1944 for overseas movement.

The battalion departed from Camp Adair on 19 March, completed its staging period at Camp Patrick Henry, (Newport News) Virginia, and sailed from the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation (Newport News) on 1 April. Most of the battalion, together with other units of the 91st Division. landed in Oran, Algeria on 20 April, while the remainder arrived on 1 May. In Algeria, the engineers went into a period of intensive amphibious training along the Mediterranean coast east of Oran and each company participated in realistic landing exercises in the vicinity of Arzew. COmpany "A" left the battalion and went to Italy with the 361st Combat Team on 22 May 1944.

Can't believe I missed this, for this was posted a few years ago. I realized when doing a search for this unit this morning, that I had not read this. Wow, how did that happen???

I DO apologize for the oversight, but sure am glad you posted this here, for it will help others in their search for information on the 316th Engineers.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I see you had a bit of a problem posting. Just try again. :armata_PDT_01: After you place their quote, just continue to type below the quote before hitting ADD REPLY at the bottom of the new post.

I will remove the post above for you, so you can start again.

Marion J Chard

I am going to post some of my photos here in case any one looking for the 316 pictures can see them. you can also visit my posts at tomsamoyed.post-2200-0-68488900-1395685599_thumb.jpegpost-2200-0-61802400-1395685618_thumb.jpgpost-2200-0-51498800-1395685641_thumb.jpgpost-2200-0-91179300-1395685671_thumb.jpegpost-2200-0-56004000-1395685699_thumb.jpeg

Attached Files
.jpeg   Scan 94.jpeg (Size: 124.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   100_1918.JPG (Size: 100.06 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   100_1915.JPG (Size: 102.62 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpeg   Scan 46.jpeg (Size: 107.7 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpeg   Scan 55.jpeg (Size: 70.59 KB / Downloads: 0)
:clappin2:
Marion J Chard

testing for crop combat Italy ist page

post-2200-0-73266200-1397858983_thumb.jpeg

Attached Files
.jpeg   combat italy 000 1.jpeg (Size: 521.32 KB / Downloads: 0)

Looking good!

Marion J Chard

I have tried to to post my fathers diary, however each of the pages is to big to download. I posted them to ancestry so if anyone has a membership or starts a free trial , you can run a search for Russell A Caulkins, Born 1907 Knoxville Iowa. each photo is a page from his diary in Italy and Africa.

You can send to me via email and I can post here. I did have subscription to Ancestry a long time ago, but it's way too expensive for me to keep.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The 187th Engineer Combat Bn PDP2020 0 2,337 12-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Last Post: PDP2020
  250 Engineer Battalion Company Research R Eric 0 2,704 11-08-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: R Eric
  2827th Engineer Battalion Walt's Daughter 3 11,308 11-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  245th Engineer Combat Battalion, U.S. Third Army 1874thhistorian 5 13,334 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mikel
  174th Engineer Combat Battalion Wendy 4 12,014 04-22-2019, 08:41 PM
  1274th Engineer Construction Battalion cincinnatikid 3 6,407 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,025 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  169th Engineer Combat Battalion angatti 15 20,788 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: angatti
  Camp Gordon Georgia 551 heavy engineer pontoon battalion photos Georgejohn 12 12,194 09-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Last Post: Georgejohn
  Jack Frank 1142nd Combat Engineer Group Frank Gubbels 4 5,844 05-27-2018, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Frank Gubbels