Warren Stichtenoth Rest in peace

Received this from Steve this morning. Our condolences to this man's family. Rest in peace sir!

------------------------

It is with great sadness that I report the passing away of Warren G. Stichtenoth this week. He was 80 years old. He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter and 4 grandsons.

Attached is a link to the Cincinnati Enquirer and an article about him.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../511300371/1060

His biography can be found on my website at:

PFC Warren Stichtenoth, 310 Combat Engineers

This page contains a description of his experiences in the Army in his own words and sketches he drew while in the Army. After the war, he used his GI Bill to obtain an art degree and work in advertising. He was recognized for his artistic work.

The Cincinnati Enquirer articles provides information on where to send a memorial.

Steve Cole

A quote from then PFC Warren Stichtenoth:

"After roll call, I was dismissed and told to report to one of the officers for special duty. He would then send me to my tent and there I would work on the portraits. Other officers followed the first and before long I was set up to do a number of girl friends, wives, mothers etc, etc. Working from small, faded, cracked wallet size photos made the challenge even more difficult. The normal, average time a replacement remained in camp before assignment was about a week at the most. For me, one week ran into two, two into three and I was still there drawing every day. The fellows would come into camp and ship out, but not until the fourth week did I get my assignment to join the 85th Infantry Division, fighting at that time at “Monte Cassinoâ€. "

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here is the link to his biography on my website:

http://members.aol.com/Head0Class/Bios/PvS...Stichtenoth.htm

PFC Stichtenoth seemed to have a talent for drawing. I'm sure the Army found uses for that ability in the Engineering corps, but I have not verified that. Free-hand sketching is not exactly the same as Engineering drafting , but I'm sure it would help.

Here is a recent photo of Warren Stichtenoth with him holding some of the sketches he drew during the war. The center photo is a photo of himself.

Over the years, soldiers began contacting him and returning copies of the sketches he made for them during the war.

Stichtenoth2003.jpg

Steve

Man he had some kind of talent didn't he. I am sure that he touched many lives with his WWII drawings. Those are just great.

Thanks for posting the photo of him here with the collage he put together. How sad that he is no longer with us. :(

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rest in Peace - Ed Saraniero - 48th Combat Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 4,829 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Rest in Peace - Paul Fogel - 36th Engineer Walt's Daughter 2 4,290 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM
  Rest in Peace, Forest Boyd, U.S.N Wendy 1 3,124 07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
  Rest in Peace - Darrell "Shifty" Powers Walt's Daughter 5 5,881 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Last Post: roque_riojas
  Rest in peace Hugh Ames - 504th PIR - 82nd Airborne Walt's Daughter 4 4,947 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM
  Col. Fred Mallet Walker Jr - Rest in Peace Walt's Daughter 0 2,945 07-23-2008, 12:00 PM