UK Veterans Badge

Ex Serviceman within the UK can now wear, with pride, a badge supplied by the MOD (Ministry of Defense), which when worn, let's everyone know that they are a Veteran.

It's a great and long overdue idea.

If there are any members from the UK who saw service in WW1, WW2 or even did National Service in Malaya, then follow the link and get what you have earned.

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badg.../vets_badge.htm

What a strange idea. When does a veteran become a veteran and what is the criteria?

Colin.

:tank:

Here is the criteria in America:

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA

Veteran - Is someone who:

* has served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days and was discharged/released

with other than a dishonorable discharge, or

* was discharged/released from active duty because of a service-connected disability, or

* was a member of a reserve component or national guard unit under an order to active

duty, serving on active duty for any length of time during a period of war or in a

campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized and was

discharged/released from active duty with other than a dishonorable discharge.

Other Veteran - Is a veteran:

* of the Vietnam Era who served in Indo-China or Korea, or the waters adjacent there.

* of the Vietnam Era who is neither a Recently Separated Vietnam Era Veteran nor a Special

Veteran.

Other Eligible Person - A spouse of a veteran who:

* died of a service connected disability;

* is listed as missing, captured, or detained in the line of duty for 90 days or more;

* has a total disability permanent in nature resulting from a service connected disability.

----------------

Can anyone list criteria for English Veterans?

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Marion, I assume the USA goes up to the present day (ie. Iraq)?

In the UK we have the GSM, General Service Medal, awarded to those who took part in individual campaigns. I hold the GSM Dohfar which means I was involved in the 1970-71 Oman campaign and at age 68 and after 25 years with the Royal Air Force consider myself a veteran. This is obviously not so!

Colin.

Oh yes, it refers to ALL wars in the United States. This was just taken off an older site.

BTW, I emailed the Parliament to find out what the criteria is in the United Kingdom. Will let you know when I receive an answer. B)

Marion J Chard

Marion, I assume the USA goes up to the present day (ie. Iraq)?

In the UK we have the GSM, General Service Medal, awarded to those who took part in individual campaigns. I hold the GSM Dohfar which means I was involved in the 1970-71 Oman campaign and at age 68 and after 25 years with the Royal Air Force consider myself a veteran. This is obviously not so!

Colin.

Colin, you are without doubt a veteran and should be proud of the fact (i'm sure you are). I hope you have applied to the MOD for yours. :pdt34:

I would also assume that you can DEFINITELY claim the status of veteran. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be Colin! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

If you read the criteria I do'nt qualify. I joined the RAF in 1955, but that is not the point. Why do we need a badge - another cost which should have gone to pensions, old age, war and war widows etc. I have written to the government on this subject. Anyway my gongs mean more to me than a lapel badge!

Colin.

Colin, i'm sorry if i've hit a bit of a nerve with this one but i still think it's good idea.

Well I certainly can see both sides of the story. Sometimes things seem wasteful in the overview, so I can understand where Colin is coming from too. What I've heard from so many of the veterans since I began this project is, who the hell needs yet another medal? But... It is not for me to say.

I appreciate hearing both sides and treasure the opinions of both my friends, Bader and Colin.

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helpful links for all veterans Walt's Daughter 0 6,901 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  VA administers the Veterans Choice Program Walt's Daughter 0 3,116 11-19-2014, 07:59 AM
  Veterans Day 2011 Walt's Daughter 9 11,033 11-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: CaptO
  Importance of Giving Veterans a Voice Walt's Daughter 2 5,810 01-29-2011, 10:10 AM
  Benefits for Survivors of Veterans Walt's Daughter 2 5,935 08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
  Aging veterans unaware of VA pension benefits Walt's Daughter 0 13,735 05-23-2010, 10:39 AM
  Veterans - assistance with interview project Walt's Daughter 0 3,537 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
  Fraud Hits Disabled Veterans Walt's Daughter 0 3,829 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
  Veterans Day ... Remember sixgun 8 9,606 11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
  Victory for Veterans Walt's Daughter 0 3,513 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM