GI Glasses

Good point, unless we've been genetically manipulated before or after. :pdt12::pdt12: I've got a few photos around somewhere. Will have to dig them up. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Do you think we were any different than todays soldiers?

Yes, I do.

You didn't spend your developing years staring at a TV. Your generation didn't may have read more books---assuming bad on the eyes---but you probably spent much more time active with outdoor activities. Your Mom fed you carrots, brocoli, beans---today, turn-key kids feed on pizza and fries.

I've seen glasses in the Hollywood war movies. Remembering "The Devils Brigade" when the Close Combat trainer made his entry, he calmly removed his spectacles before flipped Claude Akins onto the dinning table.

Then there were the generals and staff officers. I have a book about an officer on Gen. Mark Clark's staff who wore glasses. But having to wear them in combat?? I assumed if they needed them, they kept it a secret and/or removed them when the firing started---a practice I would not recommended.

Steve

I have been wearing glasses all my life and had them when I was drafted in 1951.

In Basic camp, they orderd me two pair of glasses to follow me around until they caught up with me in Korea, fall of '51.

There was a pair of steel rim glasses and a pair of plastic rim glasses in the box that caught up with me.

Because I still was wearing my "civilian" glasses, from home, I never used those Army glasses and I was lucky enough to be able to wear my own glasses all the time I was in Korea, without incident.

Even the times I had to jump into a hole. Talk about "luck"!

I don't remember what I did with the Army glasses after I came home or even if I brought them with me! ha ha

Without my glasses, I can't even see the big E.

The Army didn't care but I couldn't get into the Airforce in 1948 when I tried!

Korea Jack

P.S. I'm the guy on the middle left.

post-11-1129662026_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Picture_Reissman_f.jpg (Size: 62.01 KB / Downloads: 0)

Korea Jack: Many thanks from this older ww2 critter for the backup on glasses.. Also,

thanks for your service in Korea. The so called "forgotten war". But beleive me, you

troopers are not forgotten by us. "names, faces, places and wars change, but it is still the same damn old thing and always wil be. Also, welcome to this forum.

The glasses de captain Fred Hancock(C/502-101 Airborne)

Vee

post-227-1265891194_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   hancoc10.jpg (Size: 109.65 KB / Downloads: 0)

Another !

Vee

post-227-1265891848_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   22300710.jpg (Size: 177.72 KB / Downloads: 0)

Or this one:

An elderly couple sitting in a jeep driven by an MP.

Vee

post-227-1265892191_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   18035510.jpg (Size: 160.64 KB / Downloads: 0)

Again Vee

post-227-1265892488_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   overlo10.jpg (Size: 33.82 KB / Downloads: 0)

How about this guy? (1995)

Todd%20at%20MCT.jpg

Or perhaps this one:

scan0001.jpg

Both shots are from Marine Combat Training.

But BCG weren't always required! This one is from The Basic School (TBS). The pair I am wearing is actually one of the better looking "frame of choice" options they issue. (2000)

scan0003.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

I think I recognize he has played in the movie " Full metal jacket "

Vee ;)