William S. Todd - 291st Engineer

This is info I took from a letter that I received this week. I have already contacted Stevin to see if he recognizes the name.

http://www.basher82.nl/index.html

-----------------

William S. Todd Serial number Army #33 011 526 Pfc. One Bronze - Service Star

Mother said he was a Engineer. KIA on Dec.26,1944 friendly fire bombers. Mother said brother said that happens all the time. Entered service inn 1941. Philadelphia Pa., I guess that's where they lived as far as I know. Hoffman.Mil is still looking for him. Since last year. Was buried at Margraten Cemetery, Netherlands. Body was removed and buried in I guess Philadelphia,Pa.,.I have not found him and his Stepfather Carl Blauert and Mother Mamie Mcmurray Todd Blauert. Father is buried in St. Denis Cemetery outside of Philly died of TB right after Bill's Birth.1920 Census has Bill at 1 year and 1/10. MI trying to find out what unit he was in. He was My Mother's cousin Mother's Nickname was Toddy. Mother whole family is buried in St.Denis Cemetery. My name is Robert Hayes mother's son that was born in 1950 late in life. Brother was born in 1931. God Bless, Robert Hayes

I looked at Margraten Cemetery there a lot of your guys that were killed or bad wound around the same time. </b>

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well you guys aren't going to believe this, but this post and another are now related. All this happened in the same weekend. Read this and shake your head. Thank you once again Stevin for your great sleuthing abilities. I am still dazed! :wacko: It's definitely another goose bump episode!

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=1552

Marion J Chard

Indeed the same gent. I wrote Mr. Hinman about the book I have on the 291st (First Across The Rhine by Col. Pergrin) and he wrote back that that was indeed the Col. (still alive!!!) that he contacted and who remembered William! As I understand the Col. and William's son are now in contact with eachother. The Col. is also a one-time CO of teh 82nd Engineers and came to a renunion where he told in some detail about the particular bombing in which William was KIA!

All credits in this should go to mr. Hinman of the 82nd in this!

:pdt34:

Letter I received from him today.

---

I talked to Col. David Pergrin yesterday C.O. of 291st Combat Engineer's Co. B was Bill Todd's Company. Col. Pergrin gave me a book "Album" of Photo's of the men in A,B,C, and H&S Company's of the 291st Engineers when they visited Washington DC. That info from Stevin opened everything up and found out some more info about my Mother's cousin. I have not found out where he is buried yet! In Pa., some where. I'll have to ask around.

Col. Pergrin I said to him, Do you do any carving? Oh Yes. Do you do anything with the Boy Scouts? I said to him I got a Merit Badge for Wood Carving from a man in Village Green area. Yes I lived in Aston Twp., area before moving to Wallingford Area.

So I knew him years ago when I was 12 or 13 years ago. In 1962 or 1963. He was my instructor on Wood Carving. I was pretty good at wood carving. But I slipped several times and cut myself pretty bad. That is wild ! He said he knew my Grandfather Robert John Todd who worked at 30th street station Pullman Yard. Robert J. Todd Nephew was William S. Todd.

God Bless you all ,

Robert J. Hayes

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  291st Engineer Combat Battalion Roster EngineerReenactor 9 20,061 02-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: mikel
  Sergeant Vincent Consiglio 291st CE Walt's Daughter 16 29,409 11-21-2017, 07:24 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  William Morton Hunt 2828th Bn 36th Engineer Regiment Walt's Daughter 7 7,355 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  T/Sgt William Klesenski - 312th Engineer Walt's Daughter 0 3,206 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter