7th Bn - Black Watch Living History Assoc

Mrs. Chard,

Hello, my name is Sean Gavin. First off, I must compliment you on your site, it is certainly very well put together.

I am a member of the 7th Battalion The Black Watch Living History Association 1939-1945. We portray the soldiers of this battalion in various public displays and private tacticals, primarily in the northeast U.S.

I have recently been awarded the specialty badge of the Sapper (crossed axes) after having accepted the responsibility of a mine detector acquired by the group and teaching several classes after researching German mines and British/Commonwealth mine detection methods/tactics. I have become very interested in the role and equipment of a Sapper and have attempted to research more into it via the internet, but had not come across much. Then I happened across your site, specifically the page containing stories from a Mr. Brian Guy, a British Army Sapper from WWII.

Is there any way to contact Mr. Guy? I would be very interested to hear from him and would like to ask him some questions if he would not mind, about Sappers, their equipment, and their role(s) on the battlefield. It is important to me that I gather as much correct information as I can get, as our group standards are already set high, and also since this generation is unfortunately passing away at a very high rate.

I would be very grateful for any contact information for Mr. Guy you could provide, or if perhaps you could put me directly in contact with him.

Once again, my compliments on the excellent website, and my thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Sean Gavin Sapper, 7/BW LHA 1939-1945

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Sean:

I forwarded your letter to Brian (SAPPER) and am pleased that the two of your are already in contact with each other.

Yes, isn't the section on the WBG site impressive? As you can see, the thread is already 252 pages. Brian should write a book! :D

We look forward to hearing from you on our forum. Please tell your other members about us too.

A warm welcome...

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Once again, my sincerest thanks for your assistance in making contact with Mr. Guy! I have been perusing the thread at WB's forum for a good deal of the day and have found it to be a huge wealth of information.

Look forward to being around here when I can!

Excellent. Glad you jumped on board. I am thrilled to have you here. A very warm welcome. I look forward to your future posts!

Essayons! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard

Here's some links for all to peruse...

http://home.stny.rr.com/the7thblackwatch/main.html

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/042Black.htm

Listing of WWII British Units

Marion J Chard

We should be updating the webpage soon...it is a work in progress.

Normally, for "tactical" (battle) events, we combine with the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada (AKA, "Canadian Black Watch"), 2nd BN Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, and the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada to form "B Company."

This merging gives us a strength of anywhere from 20-30 personnel, which allows us to be noticed on both sides of the line!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black combat engineer Walt's Daughter 1 3,491 02-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Meet America’s oldest living WWII vet Walt's Daughter 1 2,975 11-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter