M1 Garand

Custerman: You are fairly correct. However most of the searches were prior to shipboard going home and had none after that that I know of. Almost anything non-

G.I. could be sent home including any foreign weapons from enemy countries that

was not stricltly against our gun laws then. At wars end I sent many packages of foreign "things" home including weapons and new unbarreled Mauser actions, parts, paintings, and the likes. All packages were recieved by the Treasury Dept., Bureau of Customs and then after inspection (or taking out what they wanted for themselves or friends), as sent to the addressee. In my case someone wanted my Mauser .22 cal target rifle I sent home. I did not open any of the boxes imediately on returning and found out this Mauser .22 was "confiscated" by soneone and my writing and complaining did no good. See photo of THEIR REPLY. Sending or bringing back any legal "trophies" was simple if one obeyed the rules and few of us wished to be caught doing it illegaly as it would hold up our return home. The reat of the things I sent or brought home arived safely and no Duty Charges were incured.

letter.TIF

Attached Files
.tif   letter.TIF (Size: 318.53 KB / Downloads: 0)

I was going to post a picture of my Garand until I saw the one Mishsa posted.That is one sweet looking rifle. And what a story by Rennog.

A nice thing about living here is that I have some BLM land about 10 miles out of town where I set up a 55 gallon drum at 600 yards and shoot tracers and reloads.

Our government is so worried about keeping those black plastic evil looking assault rifles out of the hands of the people. Don't tell anyone but the Garand is 10 times the better rifle.

A nice thing about living here is that I have some BLM land about 10 miles out of town where I set up a 55 gallon drum at 600 yards and shoot tracers and reloads

:o I'm born in the wrong country because here in Luxembourg or anywhere in Europe you can't shoot in your garden even if it's a 100 sqmiles big. :wacko:

We only take them to the 100 - 200 meters ranges. But hopefully we are still allowed to shoot them so it could be worse.

:banghead:

Today is my birthday, and what I really want is for someone to send me an M1 Garand (oh please please!!!)

Jim

Happy Birthday Dogdaddy .Good luck on that birthday wish.

Happy, happy birthday Dogdaddy and if I had an M1 I WOULD have sent it today. Hell, my heart's in the right place. Maybe if we ALL think really positive thoughts. Oh, well it was worth a shot. Hope your birthday is fun anyhow. You'll have a lot more so you never know... :drinkin::drinkin::bday: :pdt40:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!

Brooke :pidu::bday::pdt34:

Thanks much folks... :wub:

Jim

Talkling about the M1. I carried one for so long and fired it that I don'thave any desires to see one much less own one. No offense to anyone. Rocky

Although that I'm late :drinkin: Happy Birthday from Luxembourg Dogdaddy :drinkin: and that your wish may come true. :pdt34:

Rocky it's understandable that someone who carried a rifle all day long in his service would not like it neither would I if I had to.

Thanks to your generation we never had to live through such a bad experience and could grow up in Freedom here in Luxembourg I thank you for that. :wave:

Martin