Dwl

Hello! 

My father-in-law was a member of the 363D Engineer Special Services Regiment during WWII.  I am finding it very difficult to find any kind of unit insignia / patch for his regiment and may indeed not know exactly what to look for.  Based on his discharge papers, I have identified his badges and medals and the red and white patch with the "castle" on it.  But in some of my researching, I have seen a patch with an elephant on it and the words  "ALLONS NOUS" and a notation calling the group "San Francisco's Own," although I can find nothing to do with San Francisco and his service. Would also love to find out what, in particular, his particular regiment was involved with in the Persian Gulf.

Thank you!

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0288.jpg (Size: 449.61 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IMG_0289.jpg (Size: 411.23 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hello Dwl,

Warmest welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard. Our gracious host Marion may have more information but this unit has been touched upon in a previous thread  here on the forum.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?/topic/2893-info-on-363rd-and-369th-engineers/&

There is a group photo in the thread that just might include your father in law. It is hard to tell but it appears they may be wearing on their Class A hats the unit crest you are inquiring about. Good luck with your search, have a good one!

Randy

Thanks for locating that old post, Randy. That should be very helpful. Sure took me back into the time machine, including posts from WWII veterans. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thank you Randy and Marion - your time is much appreciated!

I've decided that the patch/crest was probably not their's, as I don't think they had elephants in the Middle East!

I did find a gentleman who said a PGS patch was a general one for the Military stationed in the Persian Gulf.  I am attaching a picture.  

Again, thank you!

IMG_0294.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0294.jpg (Size: 1.52 MB / Downloads: 0)

Ah, but doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't it. We'll keep on it. After all, my dad's has a seahorse. :-)

Marion J Chard

Many units received their patches before heading out, so one thing may have nothing to do with the other. :-)

Marion J Chard

Oh - how funny!  A seahorse!  Well, I guess an elephant isn't that far-fetched!

Hope soon will be able to confirm/deny this patch.  

Thank you!

I went through my DUI booklet this morning and do show the elephant insignia for the 363rd Engineer Regiment GS (general Service).According to the book, the insignia was authorized 19 Feb of '36 and approved 27 May of '36.

Marion J Chard

THANK YOU Marion!!!  I would never have found this information (and I've been looking a long time!)  So very much appreciated!

My husband just found this old photo of his dad's (Rudy) company.  I have also viewed the photo from Mr. David Baker - it is of the 363D but the one I have is different.  My father-in-law is not seen in Mr. Baker's photo.  There is no identifying information on the photo.  We have found Rudy - he is front row seated, 7th from the left.

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0504.jpg (Size: 1.82 MB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IMG_0505.jpg (Size: 1.76 MB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IMG_0506.jpg (Size: 1.83 MB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   IMG_0507.jpg (Size: 1.78 MB / Downloads: 0)

Wonderful! Wonderful!  I feel that we are all one big, happy family here and it's our job to reunite and explore!  This is especially true since the numbers are thinning exponentially. I'm delighted that we could help you, and in turn you are helping others. 

Marion J Chard