505 coast artillery

I am looking at my dads ww2 separation qualification records-can anyone help with or direct me to where I can find out what the number represents after job description.. the list is as follows----1. Pvt. Basic 521,2. T5 cannoneer 531..,3.CPL  Ammunition NCO 505,.. 4. CPL M P 677....He always told me he was a gun crewman on 90mm gun. he said it was self propelled, what did this gun look like, when I try to look it up the stationary gun is shown.

I think the numbers after job titles are the MOS (military occupation specialty) numbers.  Honestly, each individual was reduced to his MOS and was assigned just like parts in a supply chain.

Not sure about the self-propelled 90mm;  Try googling it...or try the Fort Sill web site and history.  Sill was a major  AAA training camp during the war.  My Father did basic there before being shipped to an CA battery overlooking Seattle.

theron

I am going to post several links on our site that may help you with abbreviations. Welcome to the forum.

Reading and Understanding Discharge Documents

"spin codes"

MOS

Hope that helps! The links above and other information can be found in my RESEARCH section. :-)

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

My husband is very knowledgeable with artillery, etc. and he said he's never heard of a self-propelled gun like that. He said, why would it be self-propelled? Maybe that was a misunderstanding?

505th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment (Mobile) Constituted in OR as 505th Arty (AA), CAC, 7-29-21. Organized in December 1921 at Cincinnati. Redesignated 505th CA (AA) Regt 6-3-24. Withdrawn from OR and allotted to RA as inactive 10-1-33. Redesignated 77th CA (AA) Regt (Cld) 8-1-40. August 2009 The Coast Defense Journal Page 73 505th Coast Artillery (AA) Regiment (Mobile) Activated in AUS 6-1-42 at Cp. Edwards, MA, and moved to Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, PA, 11-29-42 and staged for overseas deployment. Departed NYC POE 12-8-42, arrived England 12-13-42. Moved to North Africa 3-4-43 and landed in Salerno, Italy, 9-9-43. Inactivated Santa Maria, Italy, 3-14-44. HHB redesignated HHB 505th AAA Gp; 1st Bn redesignated 87th AAA (Gun) Bn; 2nd Bn redesignated 900th AAA (AW) Bn; 3rd Bn disbanded.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_90mm_aaa.php

90mm-aa-gun-okinawa.gif

View of 90 mm anti-aircraft gun emplacement, Okinawa, 1945.

Video - 90mm

90mm gun M1/M2/M3

Marion J Chard

If you get in touch with the Eisenhower Museum, they have records for the 505 AAA. 

This collection is located in Box 306 and contains data on the following units -

493rd AAA AW Battalion 494th AAA AW Battalion 495th AAA AW Battalion 497th AAA Gun Battalion 502nd AAA Gun Battalion 503rd AAA Gun Battalion 505th AAA Gun Battalion

These are actual archived records from the war.

Marion J Chard

1st I would like to thank everyone for the previous help...I am now stuck ,my dad sailed from England to north Africa on 3/4/43,then north Africa to salerno on  9/9/43.I am trying to find out ports sailed from and to both movements, ,also trying to find ship ID. I used a hague site but apparently I used to many searches and won't let me do any more searches

Rick:

I can help you  more once you have a ship name, but getting that name will be difficult.  The National Archives destroyed the pertinent shipping records quite a while ago.  I

Perhaps the best start would be to request the UNIT RECORD CARD for the 505th from the National Archives.  That record will have a great deal of information about movements...and may include the shipment number or the name of the ship.

One way would be to request a list of unit records from NARA regarding the 505th.  This is a different records group than the Unit Card.     Those records MIGHT include a history written by the unit for the War Department, a requirement.  That history might include either the ship name or the shipment number. 

There is also a web site focusing upon troop movements and lists unit, ship name and dates.  I suspect if you google troop movements you will find it.

I'm attaching a worksheet/article I wrote on how to research ships  in US records.

It dawns on me that you might want to look into the UK's records since the 505th may have been aboard a British ship if they sailed from England.  Their National Archives at Kew is on-line, and sometimes the records are downloadable...for a small fee.  

researching_WW2_us_merchant_seamen.rtf

Attached Files
.rtf   researching_WW2_us_merchant_seamen.rtf (Size: 57.48 KB / Downloads: 0)

I merged these two topics, since it's about the same unit. Thank you!

Marion J Chard

Here's a great link for Troop Transports

Marion J Chard

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Walt's Daughter said:

If you get in touch with the Eisenhower Museum, they have records for the 505 AAA. 

This collection is located in Box 306 and contains data on the following units -

493rd AAA AW Battalion 494th AAA AW Battalion 495th AAA AW Battalion 497th AAA Gun Battalion 502nd AAA Gun Battalion 503rd AAA Gun Battalion 505th AAA Gun Battalion

These are actual archived records from the war.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  505 coast artillery rick 4 4,648 06-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: theron
  505 coast artillery rick 4 4,959 03-26-2018, 12:54 PM
Last Post: rick