Fedela N. Africa November 1942

Looking for anyone who worked in or has information about the engineers or Port BN members who worked in the Port of Fedela between 5 November 1942 and 1 December 1942.  Evidence suggests the 36th Engineers or members of a Port BN may have been unloading ships in this port.  The evidence I have found so far is murckey

I am trying to identify the un it that unloaded the SS SANTA MARGARITA at Fedela during  this time period.

A lot of this info can be found in my documentary, No Bridge Too Far. And yes, the 36th were part of that invasion into Fedela. The following scripts are taken directly from the documentary.

The 540th Engineer Combat Regiment, functioned as shore parties for regimental combat teams of the 9th Infantry Division, with 1st battalion landing at Mehdia Plage and 2nd Battalion at Safi.

The 36th Engineer Combat Regiment's 1st and 3rd Battalions landed at Fedela French Morocco, also part of the Western Task Force.  2nd Battalion which had departed in September with the 39th Infantry Regiment, left the shores of Belfast Ireland, and arrived in Algiers as part of the Eastern Task Force.

----------------------

Operation Torch, began on November 8, 1942, and consisted of U.S. and British forces, commanded by American General Dwight D. Eisenhower. Their mission was divided into three task forces; The Western, Center and Eastern, and would be the largest amphibious operation in history.

The Western Task Force, sailed from America, under the flagship USS Augusta, commanded by Admiral Henry Hewitt. The hundred ships of Task Force 34 were comprised of 35,000 troops, with assault forces commanded by Major General George S. Patton. He was assigned to capture Port Lyautey, Fedala and Safi, with soldiers of the US 2nd Armored, and 3rd and 9th Infantry Divisions.

The Center Task Force, under the naval command of Major General Lloyd Fredendall, consisted of 39,000 troops. It was scheduled to overtake Oran, and included the US 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the 1st Armored and 1st Infantry Divisions.

Meanwhile a British convoy of 300 ships, commanded by Admiral Harold Burrough, left England, comprising the Eastern Task Force. The assault forces led by Major General Charles Ryder, consisting of 33,000 men, were to assault the port of Algiers. Their composition included the US 34th Infantry Division, two brigades of the British 78th, and two commando units.

These territories were controlled by Vichy France, with approximately 60,000 troops in place.

Prior to the operation, an very important role was played by General Mark Clark, who landed behind enemy lines in Algeria, risking his life to meet the Allied sympathizers. This clandestine mission was a vital key to the success of the invasion, which collected useful intelligence regarding ports and coastal defenses, helped to gather various diplomatic codes, and let Clark master his skills of diplomacy. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Thanks.

I knew most of this, but I cannot locate documentary records.  Apparently, there are no available records from the 36th to cover this period (like AAR's or S-3 Journals)  So, it could be the 36th under the control of the Fedela Base Section.    I'll check into the 540th now, too.

I am trying to find any evidence to identify exactly what detachment and individual names if at all possible.  Even an AAR or a line in a S-3 or S-5 Journal would help.

theron

The engineers had few documentation records from this early on. In fact, I have all the records from the 540th and there are a literal handful of records from North Africa. One of the documents I DO have is a nasty reminder letter from higher up, telling the unit to get on the ball with their record keeping. It was early on and... This also includes the 36th!

Marion J Chard

This was from years ago and I don't even remember the source but it's from official documentation. It's from something called War Diary.

36th and 540th North Africa.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   36th and 540th North Africa.pdf (Size: 682.06 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

As you can see this is later in 1943. That's when record keeping became mandatory.

Landing Craft and Bases Amphibious Force Northwest African Waters.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Landing Craft and Bases Amphibious Force Northwest African Waters.pdf (Size: 1.33 MB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Thank you AGAIN for the material.  I had corresponded with NARA regarding records for the November 1942 period for the 36th...and came up with a history but little else.  The excerpt you sent at lease give me an idea that he records just aren't there at all....and a copule of other research quiries I can try.

For anyone else following this thread, check out Fold3;  they provide access to large numbers of records. I have been able to get Navy Deck logs, sore establishment records et, all very useful to my own work.  It costs, but well worth it.

Sites like this one really make research a pleasure, especially because one can connect with like-minded researchers.

theron

Happy Thanksgiving. And glad I could help somewhat. It's frustrating, but records this early in the game, were simply non-existent for these engineering units. I've had to rely on other unit sources and of course from the men themselves and their diaries. 

Fold3 is very good, but they are expensive. I'm a member of this organization and Ancestry.com and the costs add up in a hurry. I maintain them in order to provide answers for my VI Corps peeps and that is why I ask for donations. It helps me absorb some of the costs I incur each year. :-) 

Marion J Chard

If anyone is at all interested, you can find immigration records from incoming ships via Ancestry.  That way, researchers can find crew and passenger lists for civilian freighters during WWII...ESPECIALL if the ships sailed into NYC Harbor...and others too.  I was able to find partial lists of US returning POW's  (RAMP)who came home on the ship I am writing about.  The lists in this particular case were movement lists from the Army and listed name, rank and unit...as well as serial number .  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  36th Engs - Fort Bragg 1942 Yearbook Walt's Daughter 4 7,323 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  North Africa Campaigns Bob Nokes 3 4,947 01-16-2009, 08:11 AM
  Aviation Engineers in Africa and Europe Walt's Daughter 0 3,838 10-08-2005, 12:17 PM