Interesting Articles
#11

Unfortunately when I went to the site, it was filled with tons of ads and all the lines of the article were grayed out. 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Reply
#12

Same.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien
Reply
#13

Wow, now this is out there!


 


 


 


 



Colorado woman's remains found under grave of WWII veteran



  • By THOMAS PEIPERT Associated Press

 


DENVER (AP) — A Colorado man who pleaded guilty Friday to killing his estranged wife more than two decades ago recently led authorities to her body, which was buried under the grave of a World War II veteran.


John Sandoval, 52, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the 1995 death of Kristina Tournai-Sandoval.


As part of a plea deal, he told investigators March 22 the remains were buried at a Greeley cemetery.


 

Sandoval found an open gravesite early in the morning on Oct. 20, 1995, that was scheduled for a burial that afternoon. Prosecutors say he dug about 2 feet (0.61 meters) below the grave and buried Tournai-Sandoval's body, which was wrapped in several layers of industrial-grade plastic.


Cemetery workers then unknowingly buried the veteran over her remains.


That day, detectives found a wet and muddy shovel in Sandoval's car and muddy clothes inside his home. After he was arrested, investigators noticed scratch marks on his face, neck and chest.


 

 

 

 

Charges were not filed at the time because authorities could not find the body, any witnesses or a crime scene.


"For 7,826 days, 3 hours and 22 minutes, the location of Tina's remains has been a mystery," Weld County District Attorney Michael Rourke said in a news release Friday. "Over the course of the last week, we have finally been able to give her family what they so desperately wanted."


 

Sandoval was convicted in 2010 of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison. But an appeals court overturned his conviction last year, ruling a judge wrongfully allowed evidence that Sandoval stalked other women, as well as expert testimony correlating stalkers with murderers.


Prosecutors had been preparing for a new trial when Sandoval acknowledged knowing the location of his wife's body.


Court records show Sandoval had met with his wife to settle a debt before finalizing their divorce. Before the meeting, she warned family members that if anything happened to her, her husband was responsible. She also arranged to talk with her sister by phone after the meeting.


 

 

 
Reply
#14

What a strange story! I would be very upset if I were the family of the WWII Vet!

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien
Reply
#15

Just love these kind of stories!


 



ID bracelet lost by US soldier during WWII found in France



 

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — An identification bracelet lost by a soldier from central New York more than 70 years ago has been found near the beaches of Normandy.


WSTM-TV in Syracuse reports (http://bit.ly/2nHyhUy ) Army Sgt. John Hill, of Syracuse, landed in France on June 7, 1944, a day after the Allied invasion began.


 

Somewhere along the way, he lost the ID bracelet given to him by his mother. During World War II it was common for service members to be given the bracelets by loved-ones before being sent overseas.


In February, Matthieu Delamontte found a bracelet with Hill's name and serial number while using a metal detector in a field near Normandy. He tracked down the 93-year-old veteran with the help of a Syracuse librarian.


The two men recently met on Skype. Delamontte will be sending the bracelet to Hill soon.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Reply
#16


Finally coming home: Remains of missing World War II serviceman returning to family



POSTED 1:54 PM, APRIL 12, 2017, BY FOX8WEBCENTRAL, UPDATED AT 03:01PM, APRIL 12, 2017

 

CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, Ohio -- The remains of a U.S. serviceman missing from World War II have been accounted for and will finally be returned to his family.


Army Air Forces 2nd Lt. Marvin B. Rothman, of Cleveland Heights, was 21 when he was assigned to the 311th Fighter Squadron, 58th Fighter Squadron Group on April 11, 1944.


He was the pilot of a single-seat P-47D Thunderbolt on a bombing escort mission with 15 other Thunderbolts to Wewak, Territory of New Guinea, when he was attacked by an enemy fighter aircraft.



When the escort flight returned from the mission, Rothman and two other pilots were reported missing, according to a release from the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency.


The War Department declared Rothman deceased as of Feb. 6, 1946.


In September 1946, a U.S. infantry officer informed the American Graves Registration Service in New Guinea that an Australian War Graves team had recovered the remains of a suspected American airman. They'd found the wreckage of an aircraft with a partial serial number matching that of Rothman's plane.


In November 1946, AGRS personnel tried to confirm his identity based on dental records. But the dental charts were incomplete, and an ID could not be established.


Based on the lack of evidence, an AGRS board declared Rothman to be non-recoverable in January 1950.


Then, in July 2004, a contractor for the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command investigated a crash site found by residents in a New Guinea village. They also found the plate matching the serial number of Rothman's plane.


A U.S. recovery team returned to the site in August 2009 and recovered possible human remains and other artifacts.


Scientists were able to use anthropological and circumstantial evidence along with dental analysis, which then matched Rothman's records.


Rothman's name is recorded on the Walls of the Missing at Manila American Cemetery along with other MIAs from WWII. A rosette will also be placed next to his name to indicate he has been accounted for.


Rothman will be buried April 19 with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery.


 


58f79a2b6a8a2_download(13).jpg.efdcd3e506f8b74d6f92f536c8b45695.jpg


Welcome home sir!



Attached Files
.jpg   download (13).jpg (Size: 8.55 KB / Downloads: 0)
Reply
#17


Man who stole 90-year-old copy of 'Mein Kampf' from Collinsville museum was 'fascinated' by it, police say




 

 

 

COLLINSVILLE • A man stole a 90-year-old copy of Adolf Hitler’s “Mein Kampf” from the historical museum here because he was “fascinated by it,” police say.


Robert Charles LeCompte, 30, of 201 John Street in Collinsville, was charged Friday with one count each of burglary and theft, both felonies.


Surveillance footage caught a man later identified as LeCompte walking out of the Collinsville Historical Museum February 21 with a special edition of the Nazi dictator’s book that was printed in Munich in 1927 and presented to Nazi leaders, police said. The book is estimated to be worth at least $3,000 and possibly up to $10,000.


 

The video shows LeCompte walking up to the book, which was in an unlocked glass case on a bottom shelf. The video then shows him looking around to see if anyone was watching him, taking the book out of the case and walking out of the building, Assistant Police Chief Rich Wittenauer said.


“He was in there for less than 46 seconds,” he said. “You could tell from the video that he’d been there before and knew where it was.”


Museum officials didn’t notice the book was gone until April 4. Police released surveillance photos Wednesday of a suspect later identified as LeCompte.


Tips were called in to police as soon as the photos were put on the department’s Facebook page, Wittenauer said. On Thursday, a few hours before he was arrested, LeCompte dropped the book off at the museum. “He knew we were looking for him,” Wittenauer said.


 

 

Officers on Collinsville Road in State Park Place later spotted a car belonging to a man they knew to be a friend of LeCompte’s, police said. Officers approached the car after it pulled into gas station lot in the 8400 block of Collinsville Road.


 

When the officers got to the car to talk to the driver, they saw LeCompte lying on the floor in the back of the car, police said. He was taken into custody without incident and his bail was set at $60,000.


LeCompte admitted stealing the book, police said.


“He would only say that he was just ‘fascinated by it,’” Wittenauer said. “He wouldn’t talk about it after that.”


The book had been given to the museum by the family of the late Irving Dilliard, a Collinsville resident who obtained it while an Army officer in Europe during World War II. Dilliard, who died in 2002, was a retired editor of the Post-Dispatch editorial page. He also was a past president of the Illinois State Historical Society.


Museum officials declined comment. They told police they would take the book out of display and were considering permanently removing it from public viewing, according to a police news release.


 


 

 
Reply
#18

Weird!!!


 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Reply
#19


WWII painting stolen by Nazis to rotate between Paris and US



 


 

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — An 1886 painting that was stolen as part of a Nazi looting campaign that stretched across Europe during World War II has transferred from the University of Oklahoma to Paris.


The Oklahoman (http://bit.ly/2pi2PPe ) reports the painting, "Shepherdess Bringing in Sheep," will be on display at the French museum, Musee d'Orsay, for five years before returning to the university in alternating three-year intervals.


 

The rotating display arrangement is part of a settlement agreement between the university and Leone Meyer, whose father, Raoul Meyer, owned the painting during the German occupation of Paris in WWII.


 

Leone Meyer sued the university to recover the painting, which has been with the university since 2000. The settlement reached acknowledges Meyer's inheritance rights.


 

University of Oklahoma President David Boren says "a fair and just resolution among all parties has been reached."

Reply
#20

From yesterday's St. Louis Post Dispatch, gotta love these kind of stories!


 


 



World War II vet reunited with love letter 72 years later



  • May 11, 2017
  • WESTFIELD, N.J. (AP) — A love letter lost in the walls of a New Jersey home reached a World War II veteran 72 years after it was written.

Melissa Fahy and her father found the letter in a gap under the stairs while renovating her Westfield home.


The letter, postmarked May 1945, was written by a woman named Virginia to her husband, Rolf Christoffersen. Her husband was a sailor at the time in the Norwegian Navy.


 

"I love you Rolf, as I love the warm sun," Virginia Christoffersen wrote. "That is what you are to my life, the sun about which everything else revolves for me."


 

Fahy told WNBC-TV in New York that she could not believe the love and admiration Virginia had for her husband. "It was really sweet to see that long-distance love," she said.


She decided to find the Christoffersens and deliver the letter, turning to a Facebook page for help. Facebook users located the couple's son in California hours after Fahy's post.


 

The son read the letter to his 96-year-old father. Virginia died six years ago this weekend.


"In a way, I guess it's his wife coming back and making her memory alive again," Fahy said.


 

 


Reply


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting discovery Enrico 5 2,364 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Enrico
  Interesting world - New friend in Belgium Walt's Daughter 18 444,659 10-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)