341st Engineers

Thanks! There are some other neat pictures too. They shot a lot of deer at one point. I kind of assume that was all post May '45. ;)

He didn't talk a lot about the war with his family. There were a few tales that came through. One time he came across a jeep running at the side of the road, the driver, an Army Chaplain, was shot dead by a sniper. Another time a Frenchman sold them some steaks, they were so big they had to cut the ends off steel drums to cook them in. They were probably horsemeat but the guys were so sick of canned army food they didn't care. :D

He was quite the souvenir hunter, I think that runs in the family. He made a neat picture frame for his daughter's picture out of the aluminum skin from a German bomber, and a sweetheart token from Plexiglass from a plane. The typical silver rings made from coins. He captured a surrendering German at some point and sent home his Mauser and Bayonet, belt buckle and some other stuff. Typical really but I really enjoy it today. I wish I did some research on him 15 years ago when there were more of his comrades around.

Will try to get some more pictures scanned and up. I just got a spare copy of the 341st's history on eBay and would like to get it scanned and in .pdf form online so anyone can enjoy it.

Messages In This Thread
341st Engineers - by Yorker - 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM
341st Engineers - by Yorker - 11-20-2015, 02:30 PM
341st Engineers - by Walt's Daughter - 11-20-2015, 08:30 PM
341st Engineers - by Yorker - 11-21-2015, 04:42 PM
341st Engineers - by parker - 11-21-2015, 09:11 PM