1264th - Vaught

I am looking for any direction on any info I can find on the 1264th ENG div. My father-Harold Vaught served in that divison.

Hi and welcome!

If you want info on the 1264th, go the SEARCH BOX at the top of this forum (right hand corner) and type in 1264th. That will bring up several related posts.

Oh, P.S. They were a Battalion. There were no Engineer Divisions. Engineers were either part of a division, i.e. the 3rd Infantry's engineers were the 10th! Then there are independent units which were not part of ANY division, and were often referred to as "bastard" units. They simply floated where needed and were sometimes attached to other units during campaigns, battles, etc. This units were under the jurisdiction of either an ARMY or CORPS. For example, my dad's unit, the 540th Engineer Regiment, were a bastard or independent unit. During the war they fell under the 5th and 7th Army and 6th Corps.

:pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Let me know if you have any specific questions. We are glad to assist. Long day, getting tired, calling it quits for the night...

Marion J Chard

I am looking for any direction on any info I can find on the 1264th ENG div. My father-Harold Vaught served in that division.

I realize quite a few months have gone by since you posted, but I just recently joined the forum and I am seeing these posts for the first time.

My Dad was Kenneth Zino [1923-2002] who served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in WWII, a Sgt in the 1264th Engineer Combat Battalion, Company B, 1st Squad, 1st Platoon.

Your Dad also served in "Company B" in the 1264th. I see "Tec 5 Harold L Vaught" on the 1264th Company B order to receive the Good Conduct Medal, dated 19 May 1945 and signed by the commanding officer Lt Col Arthur Lahlum. I don't know if that is the exact day they received their Good Conduct medals, but that is the date I use when recording when my Dad received his.

I don't see any labels with "Vaught" in the photos I have of my Dad's squad and platoon, although I still haven't gathered everything together. If you know which Squad and Platoon of 1264th Company B your Dad was in, can you let us know?

M1 had pointed you to the place where there is some good info on their tour of duty at the time of your post. I will be adding some info there in the coming weeks.
-barbara

Hi All -

I found an artist's sketch of H.L. Vaught 1264th from a USO show, Salach, Germany, 19 July 1945. There are several others from the 1264th too and many, many others done in Germany of soldiers from various units, often sketched at the bedside of an injured soldier.

Vaught is at the bottom of the page, on the right, at this link (and there are more 1264th Company B on the next page):

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.11904/artworks?page=33

Note they expanded the abbreviation from the photo incorrectly from Com to Communications instead of Combat and the words are out of sequence so as a result his caption reads:

H.L. Vaught, 1264th Communication Engineer Battalion, Company B, Salach, Germany (7/19/1945)

where it would be expected to be "Engineer Combat Battalion".

These are part of the Veteran's History Project web site under "Art Works" from artist Mimi Korach Lesser. There are 702 posted here under her creative works:

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.11904/

PS: My Dad's collection has (blank) postcards from a USO show. I think I now know when and where it was!

-barbara

Those sketches are simply wonderful. What a great find! Thanks for sharing that. I am going to have to take a longer look at all of these and read more about the artist(s).

Marion J Chard

PS: I contacted the Veterans History Project about correcting the titles in the Lesser collection for the 1264th. I already heard back from them that the corrections were made, although we might not see them right away.

<< BZ to VHP

"1264th Communication Engineer Battalion" should be

"1264th Engineer Combat Battalion", known for short as ECBs.

These were part of the Army Corps of Engineers in WWII.

>>

Speaking of corrections, I meant to say "USO shows" (not WSO shows) in my original post with the link to these sketches.

Others

I only did a quick spot check by jumping around a few pages. You can do that by adjusting the last two digits on the links. Many more to be found --

On p32 I found 1110th ECB including Chaplain Wilson Canafax of the 1110th.

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.11904/artworks?page=32

-barbara

Live long and prosper!

Marion J Chard

Thanks so much for the information. Harold never talked about the war and passed a few years ago and we are trying to learn as much as we can. All information will be helpful as we are trying to put together a history for his grandchildren

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Members of the 1264th Combat Engineers Co. B. Larry Tubbs 3 5,362 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Last Post: theron