Thanksgiving 1942 VI Corps HQ Providence Rhode Island

Was contacted by Richard Martinovich by phone, when he came across a menu from his dad's war memorabilia. He couldn't really find out anything about it, so asked me to do a little digging. He sent me a copy in the mail and I will see what I can discover.

Evidently he saw the following data online regarding an Edward Almond, but that was all he was able to find out.

Born in Luray, Virginia, Almond graduated from the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) in 1915 and became an infantry officer in 1916, serving in France with the 4th Division during the final months of World War I.

He graduated from the Command & General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1930. After a tour of duty in Philippines he attended the Army War College in 1934.

From 1934 to 1938 he was attached to intelligence Division of the General Staff. Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in September 1938, he completed the course at Naval War College in 1940 and in January 1941 was assigned staff duty at VI Corps HQ, Providence, Rhode Island.

Promoted to the temporary ranks of Colonel October 1941, Brigadier General March 1942, when was named assistant commander of the 93rd Infantry Division located in Arizona.[1]

VI Corps Thanksgiving Menu 1942 Providence RI.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   VI Corps Thanksgiving Menu 1942 Providence RI.pdf (Size: 323.87 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Info on Almond and moving to Providence

Marion J Chard

Ah, just found this on our own website (main site). It's located on Art Cook's page (36th Engineer)

paragraph-line.jpg

LT COL WILLIAM THOMAS

Dear M,

While reflecting on your project I had a thought to share with you.

LT COL WILLIAM THOMAS, CE, was the responsible party nominated by VI Corps to activate the 36th. You might want to say a few words early in your work on the history.

He was the perfect choice to activate any activity you could conceive. (I'm not sure if he served in WWI that can be researched, but he knew "ARMY" and "Organized Effort" and training troops.

I was a second Lt under him and he rode the "2nd Johns" without mercy. He was a perfectionist and demanded nothing less from us youngsters. He incessantly reminded any lieutenant of his obligation to develop outstanding performance from the troops, for which he was responsible.

We often cursed, but never revolted. He was right and we soon fell in line with his philosophy. He made better officers out of us while we were making great soldiers out of the men.

Of special significance was the Cols instilling into the lieutenants the need to be aware of the condition of the men. That was "key" from early-on to the outstanding morale of the unit. Responsible to see that they were well fed, properly dressed, practiced "Military Courtesy" *(saluting etc), that they were in great health (no outfit is any stronger than the weakest one). So health of the men was a paramount item.

By now you have concluded that ART learned to love and respect the old boy -- and you are absolutely correct.

Col Thomas deserves some comments reflecting credit for the part of his soul that he put into the training of the best dammed engineer outfit the Army ever saw.

God bless him and God bless your tremendous effort on behalf of our 36th.

With gratitude A

PS - You probably can obtain historical info on Col Thomas by requesting same from VI CORPS Headquarters-- They used to be in Providence Rhode Island.

PPS - Col Thomas became Corps Engineer for VI Corps about the time we invaded Africa.

Huggggggg

Marion J Chard

I wrote to veteran Carl Furtado, for he lives in Providence. Would like to find out exactly where it was located and how long it was running.

Marion J Chard

Once again from almost nothing comes a large amount of research information on the VI Corps, M1. It is always fascinating to read items like this and even more so as it features Rhode Island.

Colin.

And look at this, Colin. In my research from yesterday, I came across this Ebay item and just purchased this, this morning. This is such a cool find!! Looking forward to receiving this next week.

Update: Attaching a pic of the actual book of matches that I received.

post-2-0-49413400-1425897733_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-47509500-1429879657_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   VI Corps Matchbook.JPG (Size: 25.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   VI Corps Matchbook 001.jpg (Size: 68.59 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Ha, ha! It has cigarettes on the menu!! My, how things have changed!!

our_boys_want_smokes_flyer-r76822cb0a6c3

lucky-strike-gone-war.jpg?1300713839

ToughEnough_300x250.jpg

SmokingBan.jpg

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Ya, I have a menu that was featured in part one of my documentary. Sure enough, it has cigarettes listed. Yes, my how things change!

Marion J Chard

My friend Ted Furtado, Carl Furtado's son, did a little digging for me on the subject. It's a tough thing to research, but he was able to gather a little more info for us. Thank you so much Ted. Very grateful for your time and assistance.

------------------

Just nosing around a little.

VI Corps was definitely HQ’d in Providence 1940-1941, but I’m guessing for a very short time (perhaps 1942 when we entered the war and there was more re-org?)

http://newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073968/1941-09-26/ed-1/seq-1/ocr.txt

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gregkrenzelok/veterinary%20corp%20in%20ww1/7thdivheadquartersftordww2.html

In the above document (mostly about Fort Ord) pages 21 & 22 you will find:

THE FIELD FORCES
The Field Forces of the Army of the United States, organized during the 1940-41 emergency, consisted of general headquarters (GHQ), four field armies, the Army Air Forces, the Armored Force, and a GHQ reserve.

The army corps is a tactical unit consisting of a corps headquarters, auxiliary units called corps troops, and a variable number of divisions. The initial apportionment of army corps to the four field armies with their several headquarters is as follows:

FIRST ARMY (Governors Island, New York)
I Corps, Columbia, South Carolina
II Corps, Wilmington, Delaware
VI Corps, Providence, Rhode Island

SECOND ARMY (Memphis, Tennessee)
VII Corps, Birmingham, Alabama

THIRD ARMY (San Antonio, Texas)
IV Corps, Jacksonville, Florida
V Corps, Camp Beauregard, Louisiana
VIII Corps, Brownwood, Texas

FOURTH ARMY (Presidio of San Francisco, California)
III Corps, Presidio of Monterey, California
IX Corps, Fort Lewis, Washington

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/digital/collections/rbml/lehman/pdfs/0243/ldpd_leh_0243_0007.pdf

This document refers to VI Corp personnel from Providence RI and Hillsgrove RI.

· Hillsgrove was the section of Warwick RI where the airport was and is today.

· Army aircorps?

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/T._F._Green_Airport#/History

The Army Air Force took control from 1942 to 1945, using it for flight training.[4]

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/143d_Airlift_Squadron#/Stations

Refers to how The 143d Airlift Squadron was assigned to the VI Corps

· VI Army Corps, 30 December 1940

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/37160984_Postcard_Written_by_Thomas_Ellis_to_the_Bryant_College_Service_Club_Dated_August_4_1942

This college is now Bryant University in RI

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_itemId=111316532567&_nkw=1940s+WWII+Era+VI+Army+Corps+Providence+Rhode+Island+6th+Army+matchbook+VINTAGE&_pgn=4&_skc=150&rt=nc

This ebay site had lots of WWII and Providence postcards, photos.

Page 4 has postcards of Hillsgrove/RI State Airport in 1940

https://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/4876/

The Commanding General VI Corps Providence in 1942

http://users.skynet.be/jeeper/territory.html

http://ebays.com.ua/catalog/show/111535350381/

Another matchbook sighting – Russian ebay origin?

That’s all I’ve got!

Best regards,

Ted

Marion J Chard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VI Corps Rest Center Walt's Daughter 0 2,963 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  VI Corps HQ Itinerary Walt's Daughter 1 5,213 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Comical 6th Corps Officer's Rest Area Map Nancy France Walt's Daughter 4 7,086 08-10-2015, 10:12 AM
  VI Corps Advance CP - sign found Walt's Daughter 2 5,613 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM
  American VI Corps Fought the Battle for Herrillsheim Walt's Daughter 0 3,249 09-01-2011, 08:54 AM
  WWII vet recognizes his unit's esprit de corps Walt's Daughter 0 3,271 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM
  VI Corps Operations 19 December 1944 armored infantry 2 5,098 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Jeeper704
  VI Corps Engineering Operations Instruction No. 19 armored infantry 0 3,149 12-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Last Post: armored infantry
  125th armored batallion 36th corps of engineers mepaw 3 7,269 12-12-2010, 12:58 AM
  VI Corps September 44 photo arve 29 29,146 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM