Home Bases - Sean Kelly

Marion – Just wanted to let you and all the 343rd know that, at long last, after having written about it in “Home Bases” I finally got to return to make a return visit the 343 ‘Castle’ memorial at Nettlebed yesterday with my family. We planted a small American flag there (as you can see from the picture). It was lovely to get back and see it – I don’t think I had seen in for 20 years! Certainly I couldn’t tell where it had been struck by the Mini about five years ago. I shot the picture of it as I found it…only having planted the little American flag in the bowl on the roof. Afterwards I removed a couple of the sticks you can see in the foreground.

It remains wonderful little bit of American military history in the heart of the English countryside. I will write more about it for a story this year.

I hope all else is well. I am giving a few talks about “Home Bases” and there is a Facebook site for the book….. Www.facebook.com/ushomebases I’m trying to follow the fate of the former USAF base where I went to school – the former WWII HQ for the USAAF 8th Bomber Command at Daws Hill, High Wycombe — just four miles away!

My regards,

Sean Kelly

Author, Home Bases

post-2-0-22781200-1465989057_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   Nettle - SC Kelly.jpg (Size: 227.6 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Messages In This Thread
Home Bases - Sean Kelly - by Walt's Daughter - 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Home Bases - Sean Kelly - by Walt's Daughter - 08-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Home Bases - Sean Kelly - by Walt's Daughter - 08-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Home Bases - Sean Kelly - by Walt's Daughter - 06-15-2016, 08:11 AM