WWII photos
hitlerplatz.jpg

Wow, that town looks a little war-torn wouldn't you say? At that point you had seen a lot of WAR. How long were you in Nuremburg?

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I was only in Nurnburg for a day or two, arriving April 20, 1945, after a 3 day fight. We continued south. Intelligence reports said that the Germsns had hidden more than a thousand warplanes south of Nurnburg for one last counterattack. We continued south on the autobahn and found the 1,000 airplanes, all in good condition. The Krauts had hidden them in a wooded area several miles long on either side of the autobahn. Where trees had been taken down, the aircraft were covered with camoflage nets. The center dividing island of the autobahn had been leveled, paved and painted green. It looked normal from the air, but it was a mile long runway for the planes in the woods. They had one probelm. They didn't have a drop of fuel!

We continued south and overran the Dachau concentration camp. On a railroad siding outside the barbed wire stood a freight train with no place left to go. The gondola and freight cars were filled with layer upon layer (thousands) of naked dead bodies, starved until their bones protruded through their skin They had been gassed at other camps and brought to Dachau which had a crematorium to burn the evidence. A few live zombies wandered about in a daze in black and white striped suits. I remember one live inmate wandering about whose face was distorted and scarred. It looked like he had been struck in the face by the rifle butt of a guard, went untreated, but was allowed to live as an example to keep other inmates in line!

German civilians from surrounding villages were forced to come in and view this mayhem. They all denied they had ever heard of a concentration camp, even though they lived a mile or less away. They lied with a straight face and pretended rightous indignation at being asked the question! Others just cried at being caught.

From there the 7th Inf. moved south and were the first to enter Berchtesgaden and the Berghof on May 4, 1945, history which you already know. and

a story which has already been told.

Russ Cloer, 3_7_I_Recon

Yea Russ: Remember them well now that you brought them up. Nurnburg was at leastl as bad as the Rhine River Crossing. Was a 3 day battle for us with very high casualties. I still wonder if it was worth it, or should have been bypassed and left it for

"mop up" so as not to slow us down on our last push to the end, which was in sight. Will

leave that to the historians. Nurnburg was a walled city, with a "city" inside it, and one

hard nut to crack, taking 3 days of heavy fighting with high losses. It sure "pared down"

our rifle companies. Then soon after if I remember right, we had the Danbe to cross.

After that we sure had a shortage of personel in each company and platoons and few replacements join us as we were moving quickly for them to catch up to us. A lot of miles in a short period. Cant help but wonder just what our actual strength was in terms of being understrength. I know my company was quite understrengthed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colorized photos Walt's Daughter 2 3,926 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Subject: Photos of 1944 & 2014 - before and afters Walt's Daughter 0 3,080 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM
  Archives get 6,660 more WWII photos Walt's Daughter 0 2,540 08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
  Incredible photos of tribute in sand - Normandy Walt's Daughter 1 3,600 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  WWII in Photos, The Atlantic Magazine Wendy 6 7,049 09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Normandy D-Day Landing photos Walt's Daughter 15 12,978 12-10-2010, 01:31 PM
  Superb photos from Iwo Jima Walt's Daughter 1 3,005 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Last Post: verow
  Photos italy 43-45 sixgun 0 2,496 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Normandy Photos sixgun 0 2,304 11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Photos Albums rudolph arruda 24 21,805 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM