WWII photos

Joe,

There is no buddy like an old buddy from WWII! Thank you for posting those pictures! This is my second attempt to express my thanks for the latest. The first disappeared into the mire.

The pic of PFC Perrault and me in the jeep was taken during a brief training period after the Anzio Beachhead Campaign in Italy, in preparation for the D Day landing in Southern France on 8/15/44. Driver Perrault is writing a letter home and I am just getting my picture taken to send home to my wife.

I had four of these jeeps in my platoon used for I & R missions. They were terrific! Each jeep had the driver’s name on it and no one else was allowed to drive it. The driver was responsible for all maintenance and care. They had four wheel drive, an optional low range transmission and would go anywhere. Each had a 50 cal. machine gun mounted on a central pedestal. The windshield was kept down and waterproof canvas covered to prevent light reflections, danger of broken glass, and above all to serve as the driver’s foot locker. He kept his belongings in there, usually including a bottle of vino which was sure to crack the glass. Not shown is a large Mercedes Benz emblem, taken from a German truck, and wired to the front of the jeep. Also an angle iron wire cutter welded to the front bumper. Some had ignition keys, on the rest the driver would remove the ignition rotor and carry it in his pocket.

One short story: After the War, while on occupation duty in Germany, we were driving down the Autobahn at about 55 MPH, when we heard the unmistakable sound of a GI 2 ½ ton truck horn behind us, wanting to pass! We were already “flat out†but he kept beeping! He finally passed us slowly on our left. The pilot of a Piper Cub observation plane was waving wildly from an altitude of about 15 feet! To keep himself amused, he had obviously installed a 2 ½ truck horn on his airplane and fought his boredom while waiting to be sent home, by chasing (and passing) vehicles on the Autobahn. Boys will be boys!

Russ

While I am on a high, let's try one more:

sqdldrs.jpg

This is a pic of my 5 squad ldrs, Corporals Hollis, Miller, Adcock, Raksi, and Nessman: Top notch non-coms! They served me and their country long and well!

I have tried to make post war contact without results.

Russ

Thanks for the pictures, Russ. I'm still laughing at the idea of you finding your missing jeep with the boys in a melon patch. :lol:

Marilyn

Love these photos Russ and Joe. Thank both of you for taking the time to post them.

Marilyn, I too am still laughing at the melon and lost jeep story. As soon as I read that one, I went into the store and told it to my hubby. He got a big kick out of it too. Makes you appreciate what they went through even more huh? I mean, look how excited a few guys were over a melon patch. That patch had to seem like a million bucks. The photo was priceless.

One of the things that make your stories so good, is that they cover the smaller things in the war, such as your paragraph regarding the jeep. That gives me a real feel for the everyday and I for one love reading about it.

And of course the Autobahn story. Ah, the kinds of things that the guys did during the war to keep themselves amused. These are all real treasures Joe and Russ. :pdt12::pdt12:

Hey Russ, you never know. Maybe someone one will see these stories and the photos and get in contact with you. It's happened several times on this site. I've had the pleasure of getting some old buddies back together and/or getting them in touch with the children and grandchildren of their ol' friends.

I find so often now that people will sit at their computers and just start typing in their units and the names of men they fought with. Some are so surprised when they come up with results. That's one of the BEST things about the Internet! :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

pfcbigler.jpg

At the last Repple Depple in Italy, before being assigned to the 7th Inf, 3rd Inf Div,

on the Anzio Beachhead, we replacement officers were given a choice of weapons. I had a carbine which was standard issue for Inf. officers, but my eyes wouldn't leave the Thompson sub machine gun on display. I traded my carbine for it.

When I was assigned as platoon leader of the I & R platoon on the Anzio Beachhead, one of my men, PFC Bigler couldn't take his eyes off the Thompson. It was heavy and bulky and I soon got tired of carrying it and its ammo, even though it would be ideal in a closeup encounter with the enemy. So I gave it to PFC Bigler in exchange for a carbine.

Bigler was my platoon runner and he was at my side throughout 6 campaigns in Italy, France, and Germany. The carbine was convenient and I later acquired a .45 cal pistol in addition. But Bigler and the sub-machine gun were always there beside me. I was able to "have my cake and eat it too."

I tried often to locate Bigler after the War, all to no avail. He was a good soldier and I don't know if I would have made it without him.

Russ Cloer

I like your thinking; having your cake and eating it too. Superb. How comforting to have Bigler by your side during all the campaigns. When you think of all the time that both of you endured and were still together. Now that is truly something.

You do have to admit that the Thompson looks so cool, but as you said too, the danged thing got so heavy and YOU did have to carry it everywhere. Sounds like you made a good trade.

I like the photo. Just a hint of cockiness on the face. I think it helped you through the war. Gotta have that spirit my man.

Hey Bigler, if you're still out there, we'd love to hear from you. Give us a ring. :pdt34:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Bienvenue au Sud de France!

sofrance44.jpg

Another jeep Recon patrol in Southern France on a beautiful Indian summer day in 1944, this time to find a suitable location for the forward displacement of the Regimental CP. I took all four of my jeeps and fifteen men, since we carefully marked the route for others to follow, eliminating the need to go back. There were no front lines, as such. The Krauts were slowly withdrawing to the north, stopping only to defend favorable terrain. The situation was "fluid" which means in this case that neither side knew for sure where the enemy was.

We drove through a small French town to the continuous ringing of church bells. French civilians of every age and description lined the road, cheering, throwing flowers, offering wine and fruit, many crying with joy after four years of brutal occupation. A very pretty young woman danced up to our jeep on the driver's side. Steele braked to a stop, and she gave him a big hug and a kiss. I was riding in the front passenger seat. She leaned forward between Steele and the steering wheel and was about to give me a kiss too, when she suddenly recoiled and backed away into the crowd. I couldn't imagine what I had done to cause this reaction. I turned to Steele and said, "What do you suppose that was all about?" He gave me a salacious grin and said, "I squeezed her titty!" I said, "Steele, you may be the best jeep driver in the company, but you're no gentleman." To which he replied, "You got that right, Lootenant."

(This was intended to describe the pic of one of my recon jeeps being welcomed in Southern France.) Posting the pic and the text in the same place is a little more than I can handle, so I am posting it in separate parts.

Russ Cloer

russ.jpg

1st Lt. Russ Cloer, (not handsome, just cold and tired!) Taken in Hachimette, France in December 1944 (Ardennes-Alsace Campaign).

Picture in last post is 1st Lt. Cloer, (me) (subtitle "allus kaput!) a few months later in Nurnburg, Germany.

(Sometimes spelled Nuremburg).

The USAF sure did a job on that place!

Russ Cloer - 3_7_I_Recon

P.S. (Edit) I seem to have lost the picture. Maybe its on a new page. Frustration!!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colorized photos Walt's Daughter 2 3,926 11-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Subject: Photos of 1944 & 2014 - before and afters Walt's Daughter 0 3,080 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM
  Archives get 6,660 more WWII photos Walt's Daughter 0 2,540 08-16-2015, 07:24 AM
  Incredible photos of tribute in sand - Normandy Walt's Daughter 1 3,601 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  WWII in Photos, The Atlantic Magazine Wendy 6 7,049 09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: SonofaMP
  Normandy D-Day Landing photos Walt's Daughter 15 12,978 12-10-2010, 01:31 PM
  Superb photos from Iwo Jima Walt's Daughter 1 3,005 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Last Post: verow
  Photos italy 43-45 sixgun 0 2,496 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Normandy Photos sixgun 0 2,304 11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Last Post: sixgun
  Photos Albums rudolph arruda 24 21,805 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM