US 7th Army.

I am researching the US 7th Army campaign in Sicily July/August 1943. Please see my post under 7th Army.

Colin.

:tank:

Please see my post under 7th Army.

Where?

The 7th Army? I thought only the US 5th Army and British 8th Army participated in the conquest of Sicily.

Steve

I goofed here. The 5th Army was formed in North Africa, but didn't actually come into play until Salerno.

The 7th Army was an integral part of the Invasion of Sicily.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Well, at first I was going to say 9th. But that was the 9th Division. Then I knew Patton was there and that makes you want to think 3rd Army---again, Nope.

I'm just want to help Colin identify the unit or the place so he can get the replies he is looking for. Don't mean to dis him.

steve :coffee:

Oh I don't think he will take it as a "dis", but that is nice of you to reply back. After all we are all here to help one another.

The 5th Army formed early 43 in North Africa. They were there beginning in Salerno, Italy. The 5th Army stayed in Italy and the 540th and 36th became part of the 7th Army when they invaded Southern France.

But the 7th Army was also part of the Invasion of Sicily and was commanded by George Patton.

Here's one quick link that you can check:

Answers.com 7th Army

I already have several links on my History Page that covers the Operation Husky.

Sicily 43

2nd Beach Battalion - Sicily & Salerno

Invasion of Sicily

Operation Husky - Order of Battle

Here's a Fifth Army lowdown:

Answers.com - 5th Army

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Good info. Hmm. That said the 7th Army was in charge. I wonder where the 7th Army was from July 1943(Sicily) until August 1944 (Operation DRAGON)??

BTW, if you go to San Antonio, the 5th Army HQ is located at Fort Sam Houston. On the fort, they have a museum which houses the letter that General Mark Clark described the new should patch for the 5th Army. His aide drew it up and had it sewn.

So, I'd like to make my avatar the 5th Army patch---which is what I'm currently using in WBG forum. Can you swipe it from them and set it up for me? Please. :pdt:

Steve

No problem Steve. As you see my original post was Nov 2004 and I had really given up hope of anyone showing an interest in my area of research (other than Marion). I return to Sicily in May to continue tracing the path of the US 7th Army to Messina. I'm still hoping for contact with 7th Army veterans and am willing to take photos of anything to do with Sicily.

Colin.

Colin it seems I owe you an apology. I didn't realize you were waiting for a reply from me, but were just waiting to see what others posted too. I took it for granted that you had already read the info on the the Sicilian campaign on my Links and History Pages.

So please accept my apology, for I would have posted the info here much, much sooner.

Me big :dink:

Marion J Chard

Marion,

Please forgive me, that comment was not intended for you (that's why I said "other than Marion"). I have been reading all your posts and references and I can but thank you for giving me so many leads. As you say I have been waiting for any other contacts, especially Sicily veterans.

I have nothing but admiration for you and this website!

Colin.

Thanks. I guess we then have a mutual respect for one another. It's always a pleasure helping you out. ;)

Hey, how long till you leave for Sicily?

Marion J Chard