Identify shoulder patch please?

On visiting an Italian/American diner in Swindon, SW UK I saw a number of old photographs on the wall. This one was directly behind me and I cound'nt resist taking a pic on my iPhone. I would be interested if someone could identify the unit this soldier belonged to.

Colin.

post-867-0-23065100-1370111865_thumb.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   003.JPG (Size: 654.71 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hi Colin, nice to here from you.

looks to be a basic Army Air Corps shoulder pactch. Maybe that bell shaped lapel pin will tell us something if i can find it.

post-304-0-79947700-1370115469.jpg

Attached Files
.jpg   686684a3b83e6872dbb10be2095ec38f_image_150x112.jpg (Size: 4.95 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hi Larry,

I should have known I could rely on you to come up with the answer - thank you. I would be interested to know what you find out about the pin as well.

Colin.

Nothing on the collar pin yet, there was a rare pin called the "Liberty Bell" but it is much more detailed than the one in your photo. Been trying to think of what a bell would represent, Pennsylvania? maybe Chaplin Service?.

The plain Air Corp patch does not denote any specific organization, most likely worn by support services.

This is a VERY early photos of a Sergeant that was a member of the cadre at Spence Field Army Airfield in Moultrie, Georgia under the 3rd U.S. Army Air Force.

How do I know this you may ask? Because my grandfather took advanced flight training at Spence in 1944 and I still have his DI's which matches this gentlemen's insignia.

I also say this is early because he's still wearing a black tie. Black ties were regulation up till around April of 42' when the khaki tie was made mandatory and the black ties went the way of the do-do. So, this would be VERY early for Spence considering it opened officially for trainees in February, 42'. However, the original cadre sent to establish the field officially arrived to stay in December 41'. Also of note, is the fact he's not wearing the 1938 Service Blouse... he's wearing the Model of 1926. Which in early WWII is a VERY rare occurrence.

Regards,

MARNE

PS - The patch in question, is indeed, the standard U.S. Army Air Corps. insignia.

Marne, thank you for adding so much information. The mystery of the "photo in the diner" is now solved and has added to my WWII research knowledge. Regards, Colin.

Moultrie was just down the road from (sm)Albany where I labored for 3 years. I think I drove past it once on the way to Wild Adventures amusement park.

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

See Marne, we really did need you back! :pdt12:

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American flag on shoulder? Walt's Daughter 0 1,968 01-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter