VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion

What was going to be an announcement for the 36th Reunion, has now grown into something else...

Looks like a few people will still attend a much smaller 36th Engineer Reunion in PA this fall, but most of us who attended that event, will be going to combined a VI CORPS Reunion/Operation Dragoon event in Washington DC this August instead. It's sad it has come to this, but it is what it is.

I will post more info as this comes together, so stay tuned for more details, very shortly.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this summer.

FOR THE LATEST INFO, please consult the attached PDF!

VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   VI Corps Combat Engineers 2013 Reunion.pdf (Size: 90.65 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Here is the info on Operation Dragoon trip. I am waiting to hear from other members to see if we can pull of this as our reunion site too.

I am going to get in contact with Monika Stoy (point of contact on PDF), to see if we can get a suite for our group and use as hospitality room. This way we have some group privacy too.

Here's hotel link: http://www.sheratonpentagoncity.com/

Operation Dragoon - Aug 2013 - DC.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Operation Dragoon - Aug 2013 - DC.pdf (Size: 164.23 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard

Whaaa! 'Fraid I won't be able to make it again - being on the other side of the Earth and what not.

:(

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

Copy of an email:

Hi all of my friends in the USA,

Thank you Carl, John amd Marion for keeping me informed about the latest plans concerning the 36th Reunion 2013.

First I must tell you that I wont be meeting up with you all this year as I have an invitation from the Canadian Legion Yukon District to meet them in July in British Columbia. This is based around the 70th anniversary of Operation Husky and with my connection on research of this I must take the opportunity to go.

My decision has nothing to do with a venue change for the 36th reunion. I would have loved to be at the Sheraton in Arlington ,VA with you all in August. It is just that I cannot make two trips across the pond this year and for obvious reasons the Canada trip is important to me.

The cost of a trip for me has increased as I am now 75 and that is the point at which travel insurance goes up for me by 100% ! Also I could never manage the cost of two trips close together now.

I hope you will all understand that I am saying this with a heavy heart, whatever happens in the future, the last three yearly trips to meet you in Lebanon have been the highlight of each year. The way you made me welcome and included me in everything has touched me very deeply and bought me so many new friends.

I will await with interest the outcome of this years 36th reunion as I fully intend to be with you in 2014, this has not been a 'goodbye' message in any way.

Finally I wish you all a great time, whenever and whereever you decide to meet.

My best regards to you all and those not mentioned her,

Colin.

Dear Colin:

Just read your letter to the gang. So nicely written. My gosh, you will be missed. More than I can say, but of course I understand, as I'm sure everyone else will.

You've become a huge part of this group and you will always be welcome no matter where we meet now or in the future.

I wish you all the best on your trip and I know how special that is to you.

Your friend forever,

Marion

Marion J Chard

Okay, I am going to keep everyone posted on the responses...

Just sent out the first informational email yesterday, letting everyone know about the prospective reunion. Within a few short hours, this is where we stand already.

15 YES

8 MAYBE

Not a bad start at all, especially considering that many times by mid summer, our numbers may reach those, so I am excited by the prospects. One of those yes's is a member of the 36th family, so that is even nicer. And one of those is a friend from France, who is seriously considering the trip. Yippee!

Marion J Chard

The cost of a trip for me has increased as I am now 75 and that is the point at which travel insurance goes up for me by 100% ! Also I could never manage the cost of two trips close together now.

Wow, is this an English thing? I am unaware of this!

Marion J Chard

That caught my eye too. Is this something we will have to look forward to? :(

Maj Todd O. USMC, Retired
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien

As of this morning:

17 - YES

10 - MAYBE

Good numbers.

Without going into specifics for fear of trampling on toes, but I think everyone who has attended or is thinking of attending, should know the facts. I will try and be as diplomatic as possible.

I feel (and many of us feel), it would be a huge shame to break this reunion into two (PA and DC), but a very small minority will not budge and seems intent on splitting up the group. It's sad.

Many want to have it in DC, and we hear from more and more each day.

We took a vote last fall at the reunion and it was determined that we should find another venue and move on, so we've been looking at options. When the Operation Dragoon event was introduced, several of the vets stated they wanted to go. It was then I told Lee about the DC trip and he said, let's go too.

A few days later I started brainstorming and sent a note out to the gang; hey, since many of us are already going, why not have the reunion there too. We were already looking for a new venue and this would be perfect. The hotel rates are extremely reasonable, especially for DC, and the registration and banquet costs were the same as in PA. Sounded like a win-win scenario.

It was going well, then one person determined that it wasn't going to happen and said the reunion was still going to be in PA. Mind you this went against the grain and majority VOTE!

That is why we changed the name to the VI Corps Reunion, just to avoid more bickering and hassle.

This is where we stand right now. Looks like the majority of us will have reunion in DC, and a few will stay in PA. What a mess. We are still trying to rectify this, so we will keep you posted...

:armata_PDT_23: :armata_PDT_23: :tearyeyed:

Marion J Chard

Looking forward to the 2013 VI Corps Engineer Rerunion at the Dragoon Event this Auugust.

Carl Furtado 36th Combat Engineers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  291st Engineer Reunion - 2014 Walt's Daughter 1 5,909 11-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: juskitty
  2017 Seahorse Reunion - 36th and 540th Walt's Daughter 13 15,312 10-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Future Engineer's Reunion - Please voice your opinions! Walt's Daughter 13 728,058 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
  36th/540th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 8 10,857 11-19-2015, 05:34 AM
Last Post: colinhotham
  Info for 39th Engineer Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,796 03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
  Anzio Beachhead Reunion 2015 Walt's Daughter 0 3,476 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM
  284th Engineer Combat Battalion Annual Reunion cincinnatikid 7 10,886 11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
  36th/540th Reunion - September 11-14, 2014 Walt's Daughter 23 25,314 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM
  Operation Dragoon - The "Forgotten D-Day" - Aug 2013 Walt's Daughter 8 11,302 10-18-2014, 09:24 AM
  36th/540th Combat Engineer - 2012 Reunion Walt's Daughter 40 45,951 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM