Info for Regs and Companies at LaFiere-Chef du pont

A friend of mine is looking for information on the regiments and companies who were at LaFiere-Chef du pont on D-Day +4. Attached is his letter to all. Please respond is you can assist in any way.

Letter of DDAY fallen soldier search.pdf

Attached Files
.pdf   Letter of DDAY fallen soldier search.pdf (Size: 71.67 KB / Downloads: 0)
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

I'm not sure if he is reading here on not but;

For units ect. Try looking here

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/subject_guides/pdf/DDay_Invasion.pdf

And here

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/Research/Finding_Aids/pdf/US_Army_82nd_Airborne_Division.pdf

I have viewed most their holdings on the 82nd, it's almost all microfilm. But my focus was on Market Garden.

Re the map overlays, if you can wait till this Friday I am going to make a post on my site about map overlays, and it will include pictures of some. If you like, I can link here when I'm done. I still have a few things to finish up on it.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and regarding pathfinders- 101st did have them. I am not sure of their DZs. I know the 82nd pathfinder DZ for Market though!

Look here for explanation on some things about pathfinders;

http://forums.strikehold504th.com/index.php?/forum/11-normandy-d-day-june-6th-1944-pathfinders/

From my understanding each battalion had a few guys that were pathfinder qualified. I know that 1/504 had 9 pathfinders that jumped into Salerno for pathfinding duties.

While looking though my pictures it appears the 504 had 24 jump into Normandy to pathfind, but some could have missed the picture.

(I study the 504PIR when not working on the 24th.)

Thanks so much. Yes, I gave him this web post link. Really appreciate your help.

Marion J Chard

My apologies for multiple post, but the more I think the more that comes to mind!

On the 82nd rEcords I would look at the box 1 reel "Graphic Story of Division’s Operations on Cherbourg Peninsula 6 June-8 July 1944"

The one for Market included the chalk numbers and tail numbers of the planes that carried the 82nd into combat. This one likely has that info because the one from Market did, and they are part of the same series. It also includes the numbers of KIA and MIA in each plane. No names though.

-ADDED-

Most of the map overlays are contained in the G-2 records, so I would go there. Some will show detail down to the platoon, others to battalion or regiment. In addition, they will show German positions and other intelligence gathered from PWs. I have been planning to post on my site about overlays so I'm fresh up on them!

I found the edit button so I don't have to make 200 post. :)

Wow! This is fascinating! And so exciting! What a mammoth and so important undertaking! How wonderful to bring life back to all of these men!!!

I am eager to learn more and hear of new discoveries!

I signed onto/joined the 24th Armored site a few days ago after Marian shared it with us on this site. (I commented on it but then could not find the comment.)

Thank You,

Jean J

Yes, posts like these are always exciting. Just think of the avenues they open up! I put the two directly in touch with other, so let's see what transpires. :pdt12:

Marion J Chard

Yes, the Internet is a great tool for research and making connections, but I love going to the archives and holding the documents myself, though I know it is not feasible for everyone. It is cool to think the things I'm holding were typed in the field, there is a connection you feel; or at least I do.

Jean, your comment is still up under the "In Memory of ?" Post. And thank you for signing up to receive updates. It has been a great experience researching untold stories. I'm thinking of writing a book on the 24th, but not entirely sure yet. I'm currently trying to get in contact with vets of the battalion. I have reached out to the sons and daughters of a few members, but none have contacted me back.

I hope you do write a book on the 24th!!! It would be such a loss if you do not. You have such a passion for it and who knows what you will continue to uncover. Don't give up contacting the family members. They may currently be busy working and have lots of responsibilities but you are laying the ground work for future communications. And you still may find someone who will respond.

You are very very fortunate to be located near an Archives. I am anxious to hear what all you discover as time goes on!

Jean J

Dion,

I looked through one document last night for things on the 82nd, and there are a couple of entries in a couple of 4th Division notes that I have.

8 June 44 At 1700 following message sent to CG VII Corps: "Have contacted 82 A/B CAO at Ste. Mere Eglise. Find Mayor and 5 gendarmes available. Estimate 1000 civilians .....

9 June 44 1800 - The ciitzens of St. Mere-Eglise disposed of all dead cattle and buried 7 U.S. Paratroopers and 2 German soldiers in the church yard. Mayor Renaud promised to have 50 men available at 0700, 10 June 44, for digging graves in the U.S. Army cemetery near St. Martin. Throughout the day CIC personnel from the 4th Div, 90th Div and 82nd A/B Div conducted interrogation of former Todt workers and material left in former Todt headquarters. Mayor of Beuzeville-Au-Plain directed disposal of 8 dead cattle near Div CP.

I will always be on the lookout for any information that could help you in your quest! Your Dad and the other courageous men of the 101st and 82nd helped my Dad survive when he landed on Utah Beach D Day with the 4th Division, 22nd Regiment. What a tragedy for you and your Mom and your other family members that your Dad was Killed in Action!!!

With your passion for this research I am sure you will one day get the answers you are seeking and I do hope you write a book so you share all of the men with the world of today and the future.

Jean J

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  info about 351st engineers general service haitian93 2 4,730 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Info 133rd combat engineers battalion Benrist 10 12,047 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: mollymgen
  Info on Tech 4 Edward L Kelly New Guinea WWII KAYOK 3 4,605 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM
  Restoring a '44 gmc from 276th engineers/remagen bridge. Any info pics please Caretaker 1 3,109 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
  Info - Charles U Culmer Enrico 18 16,415 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM
  Info on 253rd Engr Combat BN tiamariawithkaz 3 6,656 04-15-2015, 01:01 PM
  Looking for 97th Inf Div info Walt's Daughter 6 8,099 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  Searching for info on Jerry Warren from Grand Rapids, Michigan James Burton 9 8,060 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
  I have info and a picture for Howard Wolham James Burton 1 2,703 10-29-2014, 11:25 PM
  JPaul looking for info on parents during WWII Walt's Daughter 30 26,075 06-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Last Post: JPaul