WW1 - Tribute to the Escadrille (Squadron) Lafayette - American-French Heroes

The American soldiers arrived in 1917 with the official entry of the USA in the WW1 were not nevertheless the first American to be taken part in this conflict

Dice 1914 an small group of young and courageous American (whose majority lived in France) enthusiast of adventure but especially of idealism and love whith France, were committed in the French Army becoming Pilots in the "French AirForce".

They were the first American of all the History to help and to fight for the country which had helped their country to become independent during the American independence war

The French Army formed them and gathered them in an "American" squadron belonging to the French Army

They were equipped with the famous French aircrafts of the WW1, Nieuport between 1915 and 1916 and the most powerful SPAD (one of best and perhaps even the best aircraft of the WW1) in 1916

This Squadron was baptized "Escradrille Lafayette" in honor of this famous French, the French Army and France who fought beside the American colonists in the American independence war vs UK

I was thinking about Fly Boys when I was watching this.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

There are two Lafayette Escadrille Pilots buried in Bourne, Massachusetts. I will post more on them as I uncover their information.

Thank you John! 

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon
There's "No Bridge Too Far"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  French soldier’s room unchanged 96 years after his death in first world war sixgun 2 5,381 10-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Last Post: CaptO
  Chateau-Thierry American Monument Dedication in 1937 sixgun 2 4,670 10-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Last Post: verow
  Somme American Cemetery And Memorial sixgun 9 14,729 11-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Walt's Daughter
  Oise-Aisne American Cemetery sixgun 4 8,581 11-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Last Post: verow
  MONTFAUCON AMERICAN MONUMENT & ROMAGNE SOUS MONTFAUCON AMERICAN CEMETERY AND MEMORIAL rudolph arruda 9 11,304 05-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Last Post: rennog